PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Case Question

tsname
09-22-2008, 1:33 PM
I know the California law regarding transporting rifles, but I have a unique question about it.

I recently changed the magazine in my AK from a 10/20 to 10/30, but now the rifle case, which is a soft padded zip case, will not zip closed. It only zips about halfway.

Now I know the easiest way around this is just to get a larger case, but I want to test this magazine out, and no, I'm not using a BB or anything like that.

So, is it ok to transport the rifle in its half-zipped case, unloaded of course, in the trunk of my car legally? Oh and one more thing, should I transport the rifle with the bolt open and locked so there's no doubt that the weapon is unloaded? I'll even go as far as field stripping the darn thing just to make absolutely sure there are no mix-ups.

slick_711
09-22-2008, 1:34 PM
No need to bother with field stripping it or having the bolt open. Unloaded and in a partially zipped case is perfectly fine.

MudCamper
09-22-2008, 1:40 PM
There are no restrictions on how you transport your rilfes. 12025, and the 12026.x exemptions (locked case) apply only to handguns, not long guns.

Just don't transport it loaded, per 12031.

tsname
09-22-2008, 2:41 PM
Very well, thanks for the info.

munkeeboi
09-22-2008, 2:59 PM
I know the California law regarding transporting rifles, but I have a unique question about it.

I recently changed the magazine in my AK from a 10/20 to 10/30, but now the rifle case, which is a soft padded zip case, will not zip closed. It only zips about halfway.

Now I know the easiest way around this is just to get a larger case, but I want to test this magazine out, and no, I'm not using a BB or anything like that.

So, is it ok to transport the rifle in its half-zipped case, unloaded of course, in the trunk of my car legally? Oh and one more thing, should I transport the rifle with the bolt open and locked so there's no doubt that the weapon is unloaded? I'll even go as far as field stripping the darn thing just to make absolutely sure there are no mix-ups.

I'm assuming you have a MM grip. If not, having a pistol grip and detachable mag is a big no no

MudCamper
09-22-2008, 4:13 PM
Followup: I thought you were talking about rifles. Is this a registered assault weapon? If it is, then it must be transported in a fully enclosed locked case like a handgun.

tsname
09-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I should clarify; it is an off list semi-automatic AK, the magazine is fixed, therefore cannot be detached, and actually my magazines are 9/20 and 9/30. Also, the fire control group, op rod, pistol grip, and receiver count as 6 US made parts, so this rifle follows the laws of California, as well as the Federal AW Ban.

The special thing about my 9/30 magazine, as it is the reason why I am testing it, is that there is a handle I can push down on to move the spring and follower to the bottom of the magazine so I can just drop in rounds from the breech (breach?).

scubamark13
09-23-2008, 8:24 AM
Am I missing something why not put a bullet button style lock on there and call it a day? You would be able to remove the mag and zip your bag.

Let me know if I am missing something,

Mark

SJgunguy24
09-23-2008, 9:07 AM
I've seen those rifle Atlantic used to sell those. There is a slot that runs down the back of the mag, with a little lever attached to the follower. Push the follower down and drop the rounds in from the top. Right?

motorhead
09-23-2008, 9:22 AM
toploading ak? a solution with no problem. the atlantics were an early attempt to market a ca compliant ak. mag locks have rendered the configuration obsolete.

tsname
09-23-2008, 9:58 AM
I've seen those rifle Atlantic used to sell those. There is a slot that runs down the back of the mag, with a little lever attached to the follower. Push the follower down and drop the rounds in from the top. Right?

Yeap, except the lever runs down the side of the magazine.

The BB is a great idea, but I don't really want to do any modifications to the rifle, at least not yet.

SJgunguy24
09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
The one I shot the slot was in the back and the mag was pinned. And they wanted 750$ for the rifle. Talk about taking the high hard one:eek:

scubamark13
09-23-2008, 1:25 PM
Check out this mag lock no modifications to the rifle are necessary

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93866

DedEye
09-23-2008, 3:35 PM
Check out this mag lock no modifications to the rifle are necessary

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93866

Just the one I was going to recommend. Get this one and zip your case closed.