View Full Version : Which of the Remington 700 SPS series would work best?

09-22-2008, 9:00 AM
Hey all, I'm in the market for a hunting rifle and I've settled pretty well on the Remington 700 SPS in .308. This will be used mainly for white-tailed deer on my in-laws property in Michigan, but eventually I'd like to expand my prospects. I've done some research online and people speak very highly of the Remington 700. Looking on their website, however, there are so many options when it comes to the SPS models that I can't keep them all straight. Can anyone recommend one over the others? It appears to me that my options are the SPS, the SPS Tactical and the SPS Varmit. Most of my hunting will be from blinds at first, so while weight is an issue, I'd say it's lower down on the list. Typical range on their property will be less than 200 yards. So I know that the Tactical has a heavier, shorter barrel and has pillar bedding and it seems like a higher quality stock. The Varmit has a heavier barrel but it's still pretty long. My main problem is that I don't know what that all means for me when I'm hunting. When I've gone hunting in the past, I used my father in law's back-up rifle, a 700 in .30-06. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

09-22-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd get the Tactical, it will maneuver easier inside a blind since it has a 20" barrel. The weight between all 3 are probably 7.5-9 pounds. Not much to make a difference. Although I will tell you after humping 25 pounds of stuff on your back for 10 miles, I can feel the difference between a box of 25 shot shells.

09-23-2008, 3:04 AM
SPS Tactical, great for the range and should be light enough to hunt with. 20" barrel should offer more flexibility when in the brush or in the stand also. 26" may be too long for brush hunting.

09-23-2008, 8:24 AM
As they say...ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

I will attest to the fact that it wasn't fun carrying my 700P LTR all over the mountains this last weekend. It would have been very nice to have a BDL or something with a skinny barrel. That bull barrel, even with the flutes, gets heavy real quick!

09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I own several Remington 700's two of which are stainless SPS's and both have proven to be very accurate. I'd go with the standard weight 24" barrel in .308, you save 1.5lbs, it will have a better balance if you have to take an off hand shot and the barrel will not heat up excessively with one or two shots taken in the field. If you are hunting from a tree stand the extra 4" shouldn't cause any problems and you will gain an extra 100fps.

09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
The Remington 788 was supposed to be an inexpensive throw away rifle but it proved to be a keeper.I spoke to a Rem rep attending YHEC at the NRA Whittington Center in the early 90's about the 788. He said Rem dropped them cause they were really too good , they were losing money on them & they were competing with the 700 series.He said he was given a 222 that would print in a ragged hole so he'd never get rid of it.I bought a Rem 788 in 243 that would print a clover leaf at 100 yards,it was very accurate and light to carry.Even though they were discontinued they're still in demand and prices have soared

09-24-2008, 7:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the advice! I think I'm going to be going with the standard SPS with the 24" barrel. I guess when it comes down to it, weight is more of a factor than barrel length and since I won't be taking multiple shots back-to-back, the heavy weight tactical barrel isn't really necessary. So now I'm in the market for a new gun...this hobby sure gets expensive fast :D

09-28-2008, 7:15 AM
I have a Rem 700 sps in 308. Its the standards 24 barrel. It is a very accurate gun and the light weight is much appreciated when hunting and walking up hills. I shoot it from the bench just for fun and it hits all the steel no problem consistently out to 400+ yards. I just don't blast away and heat the barrel up.

lcpl. huynh
09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I have an SPS Stainless in .270Win with a Bushnell 3200 scope on it, best purchases I ever made. If you're gonna hunt deer, try considering the .270Win, its a very straight shooting round, and costs about half as much as .308 rounds. Just my input though, goodluck with your purchase.