PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Both Eyes Open - EOTECH

speeddreamz
09-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Okay, I got my first AR with an Eotech setup.

I can shoot left handed closing one eye and hit on target.

I shoot to the left of the target when using both eyes shooting right handed. I am right handed by nature.

I cannot close just my left eye, and keep the right open.

I can close my right eye and keep the left open... wierd huh?

I hear you're suposed to keep both eyes open, whats the solution here? How do you do it when you get double vision a little.

Sleepnosis
09-21-2008, 11:47 PM
The EOTech is parallax free.

Step 1. Make sure your shooting fundamentals are being executed during the BZO.
Step 2. Adjust your EOTech to your right handed shooting (both eyes open)

From what you described, my thoughts are that you're jerking the trigger (right hand) and your BZO needs to be adjusted.

Both eyes open, yes.

Vinz
09-21-2008, 11:48 PM
strange but common. go with both eyes. you'll get use to it.

vinz

redcliff
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
It almost sounds like your cross-eyed dominant to me.

Do you find yourself trying to look down the sight with your left eye while shooting right handed?

Heres a test, look at an object and put the tip of your finger up in your line of sight coverring the object. Close your left eye. Is your finger still obscuring your target? If it's not, your left eye dominant.

If you're cross eyed dominant with your left eye, you may need to learn to shoot rifles/shotguns left handed.

aplinker
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Stop focusing on the reticle and look at the target. Keep both eyes open.

Army
09-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Look at target both eyes...put EOtech in the way....keep looking at target...shoot.

xcrunner805
09-22-2008, 7:20 PM
Look at target both eyes...put EOtech in the way....keep looking at target...shoot.

Stop focusing on the reticle and look at the target. Keep both eyes open.

Army and UCLAplinker got it right, that's what works best for me. After a couple mags you'll have it down.

speeddreamz
09-22-2008, 8:23 PM
The EOTech is parallax free.

Step 1. Make sure your shooting fundamentals are being executed during the BZO.
Step 2. Adjust your EOTech to your right handed shooting (both eyes open)

From what you described, my thoughts are that you're jerking the trigger (right hand) and your BZO needs to be adjusted.

Both eyes open, yes.

I can hit the target okay with left handed shooting.

One Shot, One Dropped
09-22-2008, 8:33 PM
Practice. And, if you are right-eye dominant, the reticle should seem to just sit on your target without any of the eotech's frame showing in your field of view. Shooting both eyes open, I love the eotech. It's insanely quick to point.

speeddreamz
09-22-2008, 8:47 PM
Practice. And, if you are right-eye dominant, the reticle should seem to just sit on your target without any of the eotech's frame showing in your field of view. Shooting both eyes open, I love the eotech. It's insanely quick to point.

What if im left or "cross eye ?" dominant?

edittman1
09-22-2008, 9:30 PM
I'm cross eye dominant. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Doesn't really affect me much. You just get used to using the wrong eye.

From my experience and the advice of better shooters than myself, the trick is consistency. Whatever you do, do it every time. You will see results. Yes, if there is a more optimal setup, by all means start there.

That reminds me, I need to practice shooting left handed too.

You know, my biggest problem is shooting a scope and closing one eye. It always feels all gummy after and is blurry. I must squeeze my eye too tight or something. I should wear an eye patch! :chris:

dgey
09-22-2008, 9:35 PM
I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I'm also a videographer so I had to learn to use my right eye. They don't make left handed or left eye pro equipment. It was really difficult at first. but you'll learn... practice, practice, practice... You'll not only get used to cross dominance, you'll learn to be a much better shot...

speeddreamz
09-24-2008, 9:42 PM
would a riser help for the eotech?

aplinker
09-25-2008, 12:43 AM
would a riser help for the eotech?

No.