View Full Version : Anyone hunt rattlesnake?

09-21-2008, 8:44 PM
My son is having some friends over for a "garage fear factor" Actually, they are just going to learn how to properly live off food storage and whatever animals they can catch. I told him I would be happy to show them how to fillet fish, cook rabbit and squirrel, etc, but then I thought it might be fun to try some rattlesnake. I went online, and it's $40.00/lb, so that's out. Anyone ever caught their own for food? Any restrictions? Anyone have any good recipes?

09-21-2008, 9:42 PM
I have killed a few of them but I didnt end up eating any. I did hear they taste pretty good though. Be careful with what squirrels you eat. I read that some squirrels carry fleas with plague and that a small but decent number of people die every year from it. This event sounds fun!

09-22-2008, 8:51 AM
never hunted rattlesnakes but killed all the ones i stumbled upon

09-22-2008, 9:08 AM
never hunted rattlesnakes but killed all the ones i stumbled upon

I have had the conversation of rattle snakes in other hunting forums. I have been hunting since the early 80's, I have not run into a rattle snake any of the times I have been in the field. I have seen two rattle snakes, but this was in the 70's, before I started hunting, when I was on hiking trips, both were found in fire pit rocks, so I always check them carefully.

I have had many hunters tell me they have seen quite a few snakes while hunting, I must just be the odd man out, I can't imagine they are that plentyful in the field to survive on.

BTW, we did eat one of the snakes we found, not a real disctinctive flavor that I can remember, not bad eating either.

09-22-2008, 9:55 AM
You can't survive just on them, but you cann't survive on anything by tiself. You can survive on them and other critters.

Sounds like a good plan. As for the recipe, the few times I tried snakes they were roasted over the fire with local herbs. Tasted and felt like rubberized chicken (at least, I think that's what rubberized chicken would taste). I'd imagine slowly baking or roasting them in the oven with herbs and spices would work out better.