PDA

View Full Version : best o/u for a lefty

sprintcar
09-21-2008, 7:50 PM
Well as the title says I'm a lefty. Are there any o/u that are neutral and not canted for a righty.
My uses are mainly going to be trap and sporting clays basically just have fun busting clays.
I would like to stay under $1400 nothing fancy just a good solid shotgun.

TRAP55
09-21-2008, 8:09 PM
There are O/U's canted for lefties with a lefty palm swell. Give me a day or so and I'll see who all makes them and post it here.

naimad
09-21-2008, 8:27 PM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=409

DJ Skillz
09-21-2008, 8:54 PM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=409

MSRP $3,299

:eek:

sprintcar
09-21-2008, 9:31 PM
Thats very nice but I'm trying to stay at or under $1400.
tHANKS trap55.

Bobula
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
By buddy has a Beretta BL3 totally neutral, kicks like a mule.

TRAP55
09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
sprintcar, I'm hard pressed to find one at, or below your price range. The Stoeger Competition Combo can be ordered with a left hand cant and palm swell. These are being made by Boito in Brazil, and better quality than the Turk made stuff.
The Turk made Gazelle shotguns can be ordered either way.

The Fausti shotguns from Italy are in your price range, and I highly recommend them. They've been a well kept secret. I picked up a used LNIB Field II 20ga with the straight stock for $500. The straight English or Prince of Wales style stocks are neutral. Fit and finish are on par with my Brownings. I haven't checked what they offer lately, but I remember they make a nice Competition/Sporting Clays gun. I talked with two of the Fausti sisters at the Vegas Shot Show awhile back and was told you can order the pistol grip stocks for a LH shooter for the same price.
Traditions is/was? importing them, but they have crappy customer service. If they don't handle them anymore, it's because the Fausti family stands behind their product 100%. I think Ables Ammo in TX carries a good stock and sell online.
If I can find or think of another quality shotgun in your price range I'll let you know.

sprintcar
09-22-2008, 9:16 PM
Thanks TRAP55. Are the weatherby o/u made by Fausti? I really don't need a true left hand gun just a neutral or square? shotgun.
Also could I shim the stock back to square?

Thefeeder
09-22-2008, 9:38 PM
Well as the title says I'm a lefty. Are there any o/u that are neutral and not canted for a righty.
My uses are mainly going to be trap and sporting clays basically just have fun busting clays.
I would like to stay under $1400 nothing fancy just a good solid shotgun.

You can buy any O/U with no palm swell and no cast off.
What would be the difference if you hold it left handed

Any Citori or Beretta 686 should do. 1200.OO-1500.00

Go to your local shooting field and ask some of the guys if you can try their guns ...most won't mind....do ask if the stock has been altered so you know you can buy the same.

TRAP55
09-25-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks TRAP55. Are the weatherby o/u made by Fausti? I really don't need a true left hand gun just a neutral or square? shotgun.
Also could I shim the stock back to square?
sprintcar I'm not sure who makes the Weatherbys, I believe it may be Howa or Miroku. I'm sure I know, that brain cell is prolly goofing off.
The majority of O/U shotguns on the rack are neutral, but they usually have a RH palm swell. You really can't shim a O/U stock like you can on a pump or auto. A good stock maker can alter any cant, or even add it.....but it ain't cheap!

Spending that much money on a shotgun and not have it fit is disappointing at the very least. Being a good wingshooter with a shotgun is 90% fit. You'll shoot better with a $300 Rem 870 that fits, than with a $20,000 Kolar that doesn't fit.

Before you make the jump, I've got a safe full of shotguns you're welcome to try. I've got about 6 cases of Trap loads that are getting dusty too. And I hate to go shoot by myself! You're an hr from me, and I'm 15 mins from the Trap range.

5150Marcelo
09-25-2008, 3:33 PM
irotiC gninworB

TRAP55
09-25-2008, 5:07 PM
Seems Weatherby did recently contract to Fausti to make their O/U's, I guess they aren't a well kept secret anymore!:D

sprintcar
10-10-2008, 7:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.
I went and looked at alot of O/U's and ended up getting a Browning Citori White Lightning. The gun fits me well and I'm happy. It's amazing how different the all the guns feel when mounting them.
Let the 10 day wait began.
Trapp55 I would like to go shooting with you once I get my O/U.

TRAP55
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Browning Citori White Lightning, good choice!

muskater
10-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The Berretta Teknys Gold Sporting would be my hands down pick for the best, overall clays gun. It does well in trap, and really shines in sporting clays and skeet. It has a shim in the stock to adjust the cast from left or right. Even though it does eject out the right you wont even notice. I am a lefty and shoot it 1-2 a month and have no problems. IF you shop around you can get one for 1400.

Thefeeder
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.
I went and looked at alot of O/U's and ended up getting a Browning Citori White Lightning. The gun fits me well and I'm happy. It's amazing how different the all the guns feel when mounting them.
Let the 10 day wait began.
Trapp55 I would like to go shooting with you once I get my O/U.

Great choice...Browning, Winchester, Colt = money in the bank.