PDA

View Full Version : Spikes 22 feed problems

double0b
09-21-2008, 5:55 PM
Hi guys.

I'm having feed problems with my new spikes 22 ar. I have three BDM mags and the problem occurs with all three. I've tried Remmington brass coated rounds, and MiniMag - problems with both. The problem is intermittent when using the CH to chamber the first round, and in subsequent cycling of the bolt. In each instance, the cartrige will get stuck diagonally as it is inserted into the chamber. I've noticed that there are less feed problems if I only load five rounds in the mag. Everything has been cleaned/lubed.

Have any of you run into this symptom? Any recommendations for this NOOB?

offrdmania
09-21-2008, 6:27 PM
Is it their new style bolt or their old modified Ceiner bolt and which generation BDM mag are you using?

MacGeek
09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I too was experiencing feeding problems with my spikes .22LR upper and BDM magazines. I tried feeding that setup with CCI velocitors and Wolf Match .22LR. Wolf match fails 100% of the time and the velocitors 90% of the time. I had better luck feeding my setup with CCI stingers and the Federal Bulk. I noticed the CCI velocitors and Wolf Match .22LR would be bent or have shave marks on them. I also noticed cone shaped .22LR ammo loaded better than the round tipped ammo. I'm waiting until next weekend to try out the federal auto bulk stuff.

offrdmania
09-22-2008, 7:04 AM
Spikes Recommends Federal bulk red/burgundy box (14.99 per 550 at Walmart) and do not use any lead rounds

double0b
09-22-2008, 7:25 AM
I'll pick up some Federal bulk this afternoon and try it out. Thanks!

"I noticed the CCI velocitors and Wolf Match .22LR would be bent or have shave marks on them"

This is the exact same thing that I see on the misfeeds.

Admittedly, I am a noob, but believe that my upper has their new style bolt, and the mags are the new ones with the bolt catch extension.

Thanks!

Army
09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Mine won't reliably function on anything less than 40gr bullets. But man, it will drop them all in the same hole...I love this thing!

jchen76@gmail.com
09-22-2008, 6:14 PM
Had the same problems with mini-mags within the 1st magazine. As soon as I switched to federal bulk during the same session, all the feeding problems went away.

BroncoBob
09-22-2008, 6:40 PM
No feeding problems with the two BDM's with my spikes, however I do stick to Federal Copper Tops 36 grain HP's.