PDA

View Full Version : Model 700 XCR .338 Win Mag

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 2:39 PM
This is a new gun to me It's got quite a kick but that's not a problem for me.

Normally I can sight in a gun in just a few groups of three but this is giving me problems. I changed from Remington to weaver mounts and rings.

It seems with these weaver mounts no matter what I do the round lands way off to the right 5 inches and up 6 inches. The Rem rings were not worth the metal they were made of. I can't adjust my scope down or left any more than it already is.

After about 20 shots the rings and mounts are still tightly seated.

What am I missing here?
If I have to get a new scope would any of you have a recommendation? I'm not rich.

Guntech
09-21-2008, 2:41 PM
:useless: Pics! Get a boresighter and zero the scope! Maybe your sighting in skills aren't that great. Remember its probably not the gear, its probably you.

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 2:42 PM
Sounds like your scope or mounts may not be up to the task.
Consider steel mounts instead of aluminum.
Also try another scope, even if it's not the one you want to end up using.
At least it can help you decide if the scope or the mounts are the problem.

Flinch will do it too.

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 3:27 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2148/dsc00355rx8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 3:29 PM
What's with the scratch marks forward of the front scope ring?
Is that where the scope was sliding in the rings?
If so, look at some better rings.

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 3:41 PM
I was able to eliminate flinch from the range of possibilities as I mounted the gun, locked it in, and fired it from the mount. I can also blast a buddy's .338 Ultra Mag right into the bull every time. I'm able to punch tight groups, I just can't get it over enough.

I think the scope sucks. It came free with my spotting scope but that's all I could really afford at the time. It's a Tasco 4-16 which at first I thought would not cut it but then I saw it in action on Rich's Ultra Magnum and it seemed to work fine. I really wish I could afford a M3A or another nice 10x Leupold.

I do agree, the aluminum would have been a bad idea, but I was using Weaver Grand Slam Solid Steel 1" High rings. Those were recommended by my local range-master as well as the dealer than sold me the gun...

Can anyone recommend a scope in the sub 200$ range if it is the scope that is the issue?

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 3:41 PM
Those scratch marks were from the first scope ring. These are new ones.

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 3:47 PM
Can anyone recommend a scope in the sub 200$ range if it is the scope that is the issue?

Get a good used Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 off ebay.
Should be around $200 when you catch a good deal.

X-NewYawker
09-21-2008, 3:48 PM
I was able to eliminate flinch from the range of possibilities as I mounted the gun, locked it in, and fired it from the mount. I can also blast a buddy's .338 Ultra Mag right into the bull every time. I'm able to punch tight groups, I just can't get it over enough.

I think the scope sucks. It came free with my spotting scope but that's all I could really afford at the time. It's a Tasco 4-16 which at first I thought would not cut it but then I saw it in action on Rich's Ultra Magnum and it seemed to work fine. I really wish I could afford a M3A or another nice 10x Leupold.

I do agree, the aluminum would have been a bad idea, but I was using Weaver Grand Slam Solid Steel 1" High rings. Those were recommended by my local range-master as well as the dealer than sold me the gun...

The problem with cheap scopes is that you literally get what you pay for.
Most of the career shooters I know will spend AT least what a Remington 700 costs, if not twice that, for the glass. The recoil of the 338 magum and tasco scopes just don't go together. You'll burn more in ammo costs then it wil cost to get a good scope.
Check out internet specials on VariX-II leupolds like this one --
http://www.wescooutfitters.com/p-10746-vari-x-ii-scope-3-9x40mm-gloss-black-duplex-by-leupold.aspx
A lot of grouping problems (most) can be traced back to weak rings and cheap scopes. When your bolt action costs a grand and OLL costs pover 1500 bucks, spring for the quality glass and the BEST rings.
Then it's just up to you and your sandbags.

You should be on paper in five shots and then fine tuning.

jandmtv
09-21-2008, 3:53 PM
Start out with one of these, http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=180

at $40, it wont break the bank, and it will make for a very solid mount.

X-NewYawker
09-21-2008, 4:00 PM
Start out with one of these, http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=180

at $40, it wont break the bank, and it will make for a very solid mount.

+1

Solid mount is the start

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/700VTR.jpg
(leupold rail waiting to be screwed)

Custom rifle makers drill and tap the larger screw holes for a more secure mount.

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 4:46 PM
Great advice, didn't know I could get a Vari-X II Scope for that cheap. I think I'll buy one today and just put in on my card. The only thing is it won't get here before hunting season so I'll have to hunt bear with my .243. I better place the shot well.

As far as the mounts go I will probably also get those. I'm going to have this gun for a lifetime of hunting I might as well invest.

I saw a gunsmith he said my mounts should be fine. He says as long as the shots are grouping together and not moving it's probably not an issue of slipping. It seems many tascos have a problem with never being able to zero.

I'll put the tasco on an airgun or .22LR and be done with it.

X-NewYawker
09-21-2008, 5:15 PM
Great. I guess the key was when you said the scope was FREE because you bought the spotting scope.

ARPirateMilitia
09-21-2008, 5:19 PM
Just picked up a New In Box Vari-X II Scope for 175$ online. I was wondering if the Leupold one-piece scope mounts are worth a damn. They are half the price of the EGW.

Tom (The gunsmith) said that if I didn't want to use locktite I should use some clear nail-polish that way it will keep the screws in without me stripping them when I want to torque them back out. Is this what they really teach in Susanville?

I've heard of improv but never thought of using nail care products.

None of this experience has been a loss. I have learned a lot from you guys and my own trial and error. Thanks to those who have taken the time to help me out. I thought I could get by cheap at least for this deer/bear season but that was not the case =)

Magnums are a whole 'nother monster. I have sighted in countless .243/.308 weapons in the past with no problems ever. I will look back and laugh after I have learned.

harlot
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
VX-II is a good low end choice, also Vortex has some good stuff in the 2-300 range. The XCR is a great rifle, if you can its definitely worth saving up and putting some more $$ into optics in the future. I have an XCR tactical in 308, put a VX-III I had that wasn't being used on it initially, then a month or so later I found a great deal on an IOR 6-24x50 from Scott at Liberty Optics, it was definitely worth it.

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
VX-II is a good low end choice, also Vortex has some good stuff in the 2-300 range. The XCR is a great rifle, if you can its definitely worth saving up and putting some more $$ into optics in the future. I have an XCR tactical in 308, put a VX-III I had that wasn't being used on it initially, then a month or so later I found a great deal on an IOR 6-24x50 from Scott at Liberty Optics, it was definitely worth it.

NOT a VXII, a Vari-X II.
The Vari-X II are the older US made scopes.

The VXII is the new name that's trying to cling to the Vari-X II's well earned reputation.