PDA

View Full Version : Monsterman & AK

Dragon
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Whats your thoughts on the Monsterman grip on the AK ,fit ,feel ,quality, and
does it come with the addapter to mount on the Ak since the grip looks to be the same one as the AR .

I've never seen one in person , but from the photo's I've seen it looks like a nice piece. Reason I'm asking ,is I would like to get one for my Lancaster arms AK which has not come in yet. It's on special order.

With the mosterman grip mounted I can now use may 10+yr. old 30 round mags

I hope to hear some good reviews , because I like the idea of theMonsterman grip, for use in Cali anyway.

thaks for your input guys,every one has been great here.

joemama
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I have the monster man for my ar and it feels good. I wish they had nicer MM grips that contoured to my hand for a better fit. It is pretty much the same quality as the pistol grip that came with my RRA lower parts kit. I'm pretty sure its the same type used with the ak but there is an extra adapter to make it fit onto the ak. you can also get wood MM for the ak with the adapter already built into it so its all one piece.

Noonanda
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Ive got a monsterman on my ak and I have to say I like it. I have one of the older style types but it makes me shoot my ak like its a regular rifle.

bigthaiboy
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
If you've bought one of the red stained wood furniture Lancaster AK, then why not get the wood AK MMG and stain it to match and coat with polyurathane to give it that nice sheen that Lancaster AK wood comes with.

I actually like the wood MMG, have one on my Yugo RPK, because they made specifically for the AK, they are a good solid fit.

Dragon
09-21-2008, 1:10 PM
I mostly rifle shoot in Arizona because of the magazine thing here, but I would like to take it out to a local range here in Cali some of the time.When i go to Arizona to shot I thought it would be nicer to have the MM on the AK with their adapter that way I could remove the MM and put on one of my extra AR grips if the adapter will work that way and shoot it in Arizona the way it was meant to be shot.

thanks again for the info.

veeklog
09-21-2008, 1:18 PM
For my AR, I didn't care for the MM; however, on my AK, the fit has been great!! Actually as good as the pistol grip

choiwonsuh
11-27-2008, 9:13 PM
For AK+MMG shooters, where do you plant your thumb? Do you find the AK's kick harder to manage without a pistol grip?

domokun
11-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I like my AK with a MMG on it. I wouldn't have it any other way. I plant my thumb up against the stock, there's a natural location for me to put my thumb there.

emc002
11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I really like mine on my AES 10-B. Makes my 30 rounders happy too.

JeffM
11-27-2008, 10:57 PM
For AK+MMG shooters, where do you plant your thumb? Do you find the AK's kick harder to manage without a pistol grip?

I like the AK MMG, and even shoot some rifles with no grip at all. It's not as comfortable as a true pistol grip, but it works.

I plant my thumb on the side of the stock. It just goes there. No real thought involved in it.

The recoil of an AK is not bad at all, and with the MMG/gripless, the recoil is transferred from the rifle fully into you shoulder (where it should be). With a pistol grip, it's easy to let you hand and wrist absorb some of the recoil which is not a good thing. It's more pronounced on guns with stronger recoil, like a 12 gauge shotgun. But with the MMG, as long as you keep a firm grip on the rifle to steady it, recoil isn't a problem.

choiwonsuh
11-28-2008, 2:16 AM
Great info. Thanks everyone. The recoil to shoulder info particularly helped. I was concerned about the stability of grip when you can't cross your thumb like you could with a pistol grip...

I'll be buying 2 MMG's soon... I'll try to post pics. :)

gunrun45
11-28-2008, 4:19 AM
I bought an AK to AR converison spacer and mounted a standard AR MM grip to my AK. It was OK. I then bought the real wooden MM grip and custom fitted it to my AK, then stained it to match. No comparison.

Balance is a little different since I have a AES-10b :)

MudCamper
11-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Yes. My MMG AK feels like it kicks much harder. I'm sure it's because all the recoil is going directly into the shoulder. It's not hard to manage, just gives me a bruise after a hundred rounds. I bought a rubber recoil pad and it solved that.