PDA

View Full Version : Another AR10 Problem

Flux Capacitor
09-20-2008, 11:31 PM
I posted about my AR-10 stove pipe before but have been way too busy to go to the range again. I have a standard Armalite AR-10 uppper (16") and a generation I 5-round magazine. Using a 308 Noveske Lower.

I just remember in addition to the stovepipe issue, the charging handle is almost impossible to pull back when the magazine is in. Its like the bolt is rubbing against the top round. I have to start with an empty magwell and pull the charging handle back and engage the bolt stop. Then insert a full magazine and hit the bolt release. What could be wrong? I've never had problems pulling the charging handle back on a 223/556 setup even with full mags!? Thanks

I should send the whole thing to Armalite maybe?

C.G.
09-21-2008, 12:02 AM
First I would try a different magazine.

PIRATE14
09-21-2008, 6:31 AM
Possible wrong buffer spring combo.....

Experimentalist
09-21-2008, 9:22 AM
The stove pipe issue *may* get better with time, as the gun breaks in. It might be related to the stiff draw of the bolt on a full mag, where the extra drag on the bolt prevents it from reaching full open position and inducing a stove pipe.

The difficult draw of the bolt most likely is just a problem with stiff new mag springs.

When I went through a practical rifle class they instructed us to download our mags by ~ 10%, to facilitate tactical reloads. (10% meaning you put 27 rounds in a 30 rounder, 18 rounds in a 20 rounder, etc.) The idea being that a completely full mag can be difficult to seat against against a closed bolt. Making a little space by downloading allows the mag to seat that much easier.

Next time you're at the range try downloading your mags. It might solve both your problems.

pc_city
09-21-2008, 6:28 PM
The only time I had problems pulling back the charging handle I found a blown primer wedged in the upper. It sounds like something is is dragging on your bolt carrier. Check for foreign objects, loose carrier key, fouling, paint overspray, etc. It could be the mag is out of spec or riding too high if you are using a prince50 lock. Make sure that you are using AR-10 parts in all the necessary places -- I heard of some folks using AR-15 bolt catches :eek:. Apply CLP liberally.