PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 OLL - Need parts kits now! Where to buy economical uppers!

sierradump
09-20-2008, 7:55 PM
I just got 2 AR15 OLL I picked up from my FFL after the 10 day wait! I got a AK OLL as well!

I now want to build these 2 AR's but have NO experience with AR15 and don't know where to start?

I have previously built 10-15 AK47's and am very familiar with how they work and what parts I need but am clueless with the AR15. When I built my AK47's I bought the "parts kits" from EBAY! It was nice because the kits had everything I needed and I just learned where all the parts go! They don't sell firearm stuff anymore though and I am at a loss as to where to purchase kits for the AR15!

I want to go with the classic military look and found the following, would this be a good kit to go for?

16" barrel. Complete CAR AR15 A2 parts set. Everything included except lower receiver. All parts including lower receiver parts and bolt carrier assembly, upper receiver assembly, etc. Headspaced and test fired. Pre-ban kits. Military phosphate finish. Military SPEC. Threaded barrel, flash hider and bayonet lug. Collapsible stock. All parts are new!! ."

-$549.00

I think the A2 is older but aside from looks is there any performance or accuracy differences???

Are there any similar kits I could go for?

DedEye
09-20-2008, 7:58 PM
The description of the kit you have listed sounds nice, but at that price I gotta wonder about quality. Who makes the parts/upper? Don't forget your CA compliance parts.

Riflegear, Addax Tactical, or any of the other great vendors who support this forum would be able to help you kit out your OLLs according to your budget and needs :).

Enjoy Black Rifle Disease!

railroader
09-20-2008, 9:22 PM
http://www.ar15.com/ has a bunch of vendors on the opening page. My only experience has been with Del-Ton. I bought a kit from them and it has worked great so far. This is the kit I bought. I went with a detachable carry handle,chrome barrel and a a2 stock. it was about $610 shipped. http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

Mark

sierradump
09-21-2008, 7:14 AM
Good point. I have asked several times who makes the upper receiver and have gotten a response something like "I don't know, they are military spec kits from 15+ years back"

I know the price makes it sound like junk, but honestly I don't have a lot of money left over to buy parts kits!!!

The 2 lowers I received are:

* Bushmaster Carbon 15
* CMMG

Are their any reasonably price carbon 15 parts kits? Would be nice to go carbon on that whole rifle!

Del-Ton looks like a good deal on kits, but I have never heard of DTI? They use DTI barrels? And what is better 1x9 or 1x7 twist? I see both listed all over the place... Seems like 1x9 would be better for accuracy? Am I mistaken? Why would one go with 1x7 over 1x9?

makav3li
09-21-2008, 7:18 AM
legal transfers has the complete kit minus the mag and lower rec for 599 shipped. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=119635 if i were to build, i would go that route since its a stag and the price

Patriot
09-21-2008, 7:26 AM
legal transfers has the complete kit minus the mag and lower rec for 599 shipped. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=119635 if i were to build, i would go that route since its a stag and the price

Just to clarify that appears to be the group buy price (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1502072&postcount=3) (didn't really see much group buy info in thread, though).

Also, just a general thought (not specifically related to any of the uppers mentioned): there is a fine line price-wise between a good deal and a cheap deal. I find that it can be less expensive in the long-term to make sure you buy something you'll be happy with the first time around.

StevieG
09-21-2008, 7:46 AM
I bought the "parts kits" from EBAY! It was nice because the kits had everything I needed and I just learned where all the parts go! ?

You`ve bought AK parts kits on Ebay? You mean gunbroker, right?

sierradump
09-21-2008, 8:21 AM
You`ve bought AK parts kits on Ebay? You mean gunbroker, right?

No I mean eBay. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I bought 2 AMD65 side-folder kits (16" barrels w/ welded flash hider).

I bought them from a guy "AKMan".

They no longer allow the sale of parts kits or any gun parts anymore - but I got a screaming deal - they were like $150 ea. AND THEY WERE GRADE A...

The guy I bought them from has since started his own website, I don't remember what it is and I just did a quick google search and couldn't find it - but all of his pictures have like a black/white checkerboard pattern in the background. Like the tile floor you would see in an automobile collectors garage.

I will look and see if I can find his site as he still had really good prices the last time I found it - and I will probably buy another AK kit from him when I am ready to build my AK.

EDIT:
FOUND HIS WEBSITE -- http://www.akparts.com/

makav3li
09-21-2008, 8:58 AM
Just to clarify that appears to be the group buy price (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1502072&postcount=3) (didn't really see much group buy info in thread, though).

Also, just a general thought (not specifically related to any of the uppers mentioned): there is a fine line price-wise between a good deal and a cheap deal. I find that it can be less expensive in the long-term to make sure you buy something you'll be happy with the first time around.

its not really a group buy, you have to call him and order. its stag, much better than delton for about the same price. but hey its your money, i dont know anything about guns just trying to pass on good deals. a few of my friends have stag and they seem to enjoy it.

carabou
09-21-2008, 9:02 AM
This link has good info on low, medium, and expensive builds.
Skip the ads.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2385902&userid=33869

Patriot
09-21-2008, 9:06 AM
its not really a group buy, you have to call him and order.

Good to know. I kind of got that impression from reading the thread, but wasn't sure.

its stag, much better than delton for about the same price. but hey its your money, i dont know anything about guns just trying to pass on good deals. a few of my friends have stag and they seem to enjoy it.

I'm not a huge AR guy but would pick Stag out of the two. Was commenting more on the whole "economical upper" thing in general.

@ carabou - that's hilarious, an AR thread on somethingawful (never would've thought to look there).

railroader
09-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Del-ton uses 1x9 wilson barrels. The stag kits(they come with ten round mag too) are $633 shipped from ar15sales.com. Mark

makav3li
09-21-2008, 6:57 PM
Del-ton uses 1x9 wilson barrels. The stag kits(they come with ten round mag too) are $633 shipped from ar15sales.com. Mark

call and the stag kits are 599 shipped from ar15sales.com

railroader
09-21-2008, 8:23 PM
Ar15sales must give a different price if you call because the website says $633. I checked ar15.com and he does have a special for $599 but it doesn't come with the mag. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=573213 Mark

09-21-2008, 8:31 PM
I think that the best place to find an economical upper would be in the for sale forum.

Wyseguy
09-21-2008, 8:33 PM
Let me give you my 2 cents. Since you have 2 lowers, build a cheap one, and then put some money into building a really nice one. You won't regret it.

sierradump
09-21-2008, 8:47 PM
I was thinking of doing this - cheap/value for one, and higher end on the other...

I have a bushmaster carbon 15 and a CMMG stripped lower,

Which should I use for the cheap build?

sorensen440
09-21-2008, 8:51 PM
I would get a del-ton kit
there cheap and they are decent quality

NSR500
09-21-2008, 9:21 PM
You can contact Essential Arms and probably put together a complete build for under $700 depending on the type of barrel you use.

aplinker
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I was thinking of doing this - cheap/value for one, and higher end on the other...

I have a bushmaster carbon 15 and a CMMG stripped lower,

Which should I use for the cheap build?

This thread is a little... off-kilter...

What do you want to do with your rifles? Are you intending to make similar builds with each?

How far will you shoot most often?
How far would you like to be able to shoot?
What positions do you shoot?
Run and gun? 3-gun? Tactical?
Do you hunt?
Do you want to carry your rifle?
Will you use surplus/cheap ammo? Do you handload? What kind of ammo will you use most?

I don't really get why people run full bore into picking brands and kits before they think about what they want to do with the gun. If you just want something that's going to be flexible and reliable, read my signature thread. 16" chrome lined barrel, mid-length gas, flat-top upper... other stuff is your choice. I'd push you toward CMMG as the crossing point between quality and price. If you can afford it, Noveske. If you need to drop price, switch to a rifle with an 18-20" barrel.