PDA

View Full Version : best company for a varmint style 26" upper

Rhys898
09-20-2008, 6:39 PM
I've had my lower complete for a long time but have not had the money until now to get an upper. I had done my research a while back and had decided on a White Oak Armaments 1 in 7" Varmint complete upper. The price was great and no one had anything bad to say about them. I finally have the spare cash and go to place the order on their website and they no longer have the 26" available in 1 in 7", only 1 in 8" or 1 in 12". I had been hoping to do some 800-1000yard shooting with the 90gr SMK and it takes 1 in 7" or faster twist to stabilize it.

I have tried emailing both of the addresses they have listed on their site to see if I could maybe pay a little more to get it the way I want it. One of the email addresses they list isn't even a valid address, and the other hasn't responded in the week since I sent the message.

So, I've checked Midway, Brownell's, Model 1 Sales, RRA, Stag, Ten Percent, CWS, and some others. No one has 1 in 7" 24" barrelled uppers let alone 26". Anyone know of another company that makes a standard flat top upper, 26" 1 in 7" twist bull barrel, complete upper with bolt and carrier in the 600-700 range. I just want the standard round free float with a sling stud for bi-pod use, prefer stainless for the barrel but chromoly is okay. I would like to have the single piccatiny gas block so I can put some flip up iron sights on at a later date, but it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Jer

jandmtv
09-20-2008, 6:46 PM
WOA or bust.

Try calling them on monday.

Solidsnake87
09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Go WOA for something in 26". Great stuff. Use their 1:8 twist. 1:7 will be too fast unless a twist unless you are handloading bullets over 80 grains. This is advice straight from a very succesful high power shooter that taught me how to mod an AR. WOA is tell you the same thing if you ask them. As a side note, you'll be hard presses to find places offering 26" barrels on their factory uppers. These are kind of a specialty thing--mostly for competitors hoping to milk some more fps from their barrels.

I had been hoping to do some 800-1000yard shooting with the 90gr SMK and it takes 1 in 7" or faster twist to stabilize it.

You can go to 1000 with the 80 grain berger bullets using a 1:8 easily. Keep in mind that if you are shooting this far with .223 you had better be serious about shooting and handloading. You will have to read the wind perfectly with smaller calibers, especially at 1000 yards. Also, at 100 yards your rifle must be accurate to .5 MOA or better with you behind the trigger. You'll also need a VERY nice scope that tracks well for that kind of shooting. I roll NF for this kind of stuff.

ChrisXD45T
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Most companies only go as fast as 1:8 for 24"-26" bull barrel uppers.
Another option is that you find a barrel maker like Lothar or Heart that will make you the barrel you want and have a custom builder assemble your upper. Calguners ar15barrels or m24armorer might be willing to build it for you.

Rhys898
09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
ok, I will call WOA on Monday and if I can't get the 1 in 7" even with some extra dough then I'll just go 1 in 8".

Besides, I'd much rather pay the shipping than the california sales tax. Saves me enough money to buy a box of bullets.

Thanks for the replies.

Jer

aplinker
09-21-2008, 2:11 PM
1/7 is too fast for a varmint upper - it keeps you from using the lightest stuff, like the 45gr varmint bombs, etc.

1/8 is ideal, with Wylde chamber. :)

WOAs barrels are great, both in terms of price and performance. Yes, there are better barrels, but it will take a lot more money for an incremental performance step.

Rhys898
09-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok, So, I ordered the 1 in 8". 4-6 weeks (OUCH!) but I kinda expected that. I'll let you guys know when it comes in and I'll post some pics and reviews after shooting it.

Jer

Solidsnake87
09-23-2008, 1:27 AM
Nice choice! In the meantime, pick up a re-loading manual and pick up a new skill while you wait. Might as well maximize your upper's potential. :D