View Full Version : M1 Carbine shell discharge angle

09-20-2008, 2:27 PM
Hi All,
Just got back from the range with my (original) M1 Carbine for the 1st time since I bought it (its 'new to me'). I just stripped/cleaned/oiled it last sunday and this morning before I left I ran a dry swab through the barrel to remove any left over oil.

So the question is, 1 out of 3 times I fire it the shell hits me in the forehead which seems strange. Last time I used an M1 the shells flew up and to the right of the rifle, this carbine seems to fling them pretty much straight backwards. I looked behind me after 3 magazines and most of my shells were behind me (way behind me). I'm using Lake City ammo and a pistol scope, now it could be since the scope is higher then the iron sights that my head is higher then it should be but it still seems odd that the shells are flung so sharply back.

Is this something I can tweak?

Image of the setup:

09-20-2008, 4:56 PM
blame it on that gawd awefule ramline stock

i'm serious they flex so much

M. Sage
09-20-2008, 5:50 PM
Weak ejector spring?

blame it on that gawd awefule ramline stock

Yeah.. cause that's helpful.

09-20-2008, 8:10 PM
Good call, I'll see if I have an extra.

09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Was the ammo you used this time the same as the last time? When shooting my SKS a couple weeks ago, Wolf and other steel casings flew out forward and right, while brass-cased Remington that I shot flew almost straight up (which landed on me and gave me a few burns, damn it).

09-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Could be that, dunno what I was shooting last time but it was brass and this time it was also brass. Before it was a different gun too. Spoze I could try some different ammo as well.