PDA

View Full Version : USRA "FN SPR"

dfletcher
09-19-2008, 8:55 PM
I'm familiar with the various FN PBR and FN SPR rifles. I just bought a variant I've not seen before.

It's in the standard McMillian A% stock, right side of the barrel is stamped
"-Made by U.S Repeating Arms Co.- under which is "-In New Haven, CT. U.S.A-". Left side barrel is "-FN Herstal Special Police Rifle .308 Win-" and left receiver is stamped with the FN logo followed by "FN Special Police Rifle".

Were all the FN SPRs made in New Haven & production stopped when the plant closed, or earlier ones made there & current being made elsewhere?

This rifle has a heavily stepped 20" barrel, the single step occurs at about the 13" mark. And there is a screw on aluminium muzzle brake, held in place by a castle nut type arrangement. I'd like to replace it, but have no idea what the thread is. Any info appreciated.

As an aside, if anyone can recommend an after market trigger I'd appreciate it. I'm terrific at adjusting Rem 700 triggers, but for some reason stink when it comes to the 70.

I guess I should add, sorry - no pictures.

ar15barrels
09-19-2008, 9:02 PM
Model 70 triggers are easier to adjust than 700 triggers...

buffybuster
09-19-2008, 9:25 PM

If you've got a set of those thin ignition wrenches......

ar15barrels
09-19-2008, 9:57 PM
If you've got a set of those thin ignition wrenches......

So how's that trigger?

dfletcher
09-19-2008, 11:37 PM

OK - how about a 30 second lesson?

I know how to do the overtravel, adjust the spring tension - but I can't adjust sear engagement and it looks to me that can't be done with the standard 70 trigger/sear. What am I missing, or do I need to break out the stone?

-hanko
09-20-2008, 2:47 AM
OK - how about a 30 second lesson?

I know how to do the overtravel, adjust the spring tension - but I can't adjust sear engagement and it looks to me that can't be done with the standard 70 trigger/sear. What am I missing, or do I need to break out the stone?
Get the stone. Single nut controls overtravel, nut toward spring controls pull weight, and the middle nut locks the pull weight. Seal them with nail polish when you're done. Engagement is controlled by a stone.

I have my pbr down to a very crisp and consistent 2 lbs.

-hanko

dfletcher
09-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Get the stone. Single nut controls overtravel, nut toward spring controls pull weight, and the middle nut locks the pull weight. Seal them with nail polish when you're done. Engagement is controlled by a stone.

I have my pbr down to a very crisp and consistent 2 lbs.

-hanko

Thanks - I spent some time last night taking a look at the trigger, set the pull weight & overtravel, polished the sear notch & sear with some 2500 grit wetordry paper. Will gently persuade some steel with stone a bit later.