PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Ammo

gunho89
09-19-2008, 6:43 PM
I have a mini 14 and i want to buy some bulk ammo, and wolf is super cheap, and i plan on blowing through it pretty quickly. What is the quality?? I havent herd very good things about that company. Anyone have any experience with this company?

bohoki
09-19-2008, 6:51 PM
works for me i cannot tell any diference between all the russian brands

c good
09-19-2008, 7:01 PM
I've shot TONS of Wolf through the Mini-14 over the last 20 years! Even the old old lacquered stuff, and it's been fine. Just DIRTY! As long as you clean every once in a while, no problems. Be sure to clean the bolt/firing pin area by spraying cleaner into the bolt through firing pin hole. The the primer sealer has a tendency to load up in there and keep the firing pin from "free floating". Not a good thing. So, go for it. BTW....The old Wolf stuff doesn't seem to work quite as well in the OLL's but I don't know about the newer stuff. HTH c good

gunho89
09-19-2008, 7:01 PM
Is there really a difference between the steel case and the brass case?

c good
09-19-2008, 7:05 PM
Yes, brass case is easier on the bolt and extractors. The brass doesn't "beat up" stuff as much, but for a Mini-14 I wouldn't worry about it. Now that I'm thinking of it. The only failure we've had in our group with the Mini 14 was a broken extractor. It was an old series Mini though. New extractor installed 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. Don't worry about the Wolf in a Mini!! If it's cheaper, use it. c good

gunho89
09-19-2008, 7:12 PM
Haha, sweet, thanks!

a1fabweld
09-19-2008, 7:14 PM
Years ago I had a mini thirty & I shot about 500 rds of the old style Wolf through it & eventually I had a shell stuck in the chamber. It was in there so tight I had to beat it out from the muzzle end with a rod & hammer. It may have been a fluke.

09-19-2008, 7:16 PM
I haven't had any real issuse when I have used Wolf other than it is dirty.

apbrian112
09-19-2008, 7:42 PM
Years ago I had a mini thirty & I shot about 500 rds of the old style Wolf through it & eventually I had a shell stuck in the chamber. It was in there so tight I had to beat it out from the muzzle end with a rod & hammer. It may have been a fluke.

it probably wasn't a fluke... the steel cases don't expand like the brass ones do therefore a lot of the carbon and residue fills up the space between the casing and the chamber. eventually it'll fill up enough you'll start having FTF/FTE's.

try this little test, fire some brass cased stuff through your firearm and check the casings (should be relatively clean). then fire a bunch of wolf through it. next fire a couple more brass cased cartridges and check the casings. the brass casings will be marked up with carbon that was deposited in the chamber.

apbrian112
09-19-2008, 7:44 PM
oh, and i use wolf (copper) and have had no problems with it. i usually don't fire more than 100 rounds though without cleaning... and it takes longer to clean than when i shoot my pmc 55 or black hills 68 grn stuff.

gunho89
09-19-2008, 8:47 PM
So the overall census that i'm getting is that they fire dirty, but other than that they are pretty good...

Dragon
09-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I've shot 250 round threw my M4 with no problems ,next time out I'm going to try 500.Also I did not even clean it once in the 250 round .The next 500 round trip I will see if I can go threw 500 with out cleaning it ,until Im done that is.

Wolf steel case is really not a problem ,because the steel is extremely mild steel , its not hardend so wear is not going to be much different than brass.

triaged
09-20-2008, 1:43 AM
Don't forget that much of the Wolf ammo has a bi-metal jacketed bullet (lead, steel jacket, copper plating) that you can not shoot on many ranges because of fire danger. Look up the Yosemite fire here.

Oswald2001
09-20-2008, 9:32 AM
I have shot about 10,000 rounds of Wolf with NO PROBLEM. (9mm and .223)

I have 2 Mini's and have never had a problem with Wolf.

It is good p-l-i-n-k-i-n-g ammo...as it is manufactured to be.

Dirtier than a lot of ammo, but, no problem if you clean your rifle. (You do clean your rifle, right?;))

Undue component wear with steel case ammo? No.

People just made that up. Yes. That's right. They LIED.

And then other people spread the lie in the form of internet rumor.

There is no such thing as only one kind of 'steel'. There are many kinds of 'steel'.

Steel can be made harder than your barrel or softer than brass.

The hardness of Wolf ammo steel cases is on a par with brass cases.

This, obviously, is intentional as no ammo manufacturer would make ammo that prematurely wears out rifle parts.

You can shoot many 10,000's of rounds of Wolf over a lifetime and NEVER notice a difference of wear of rifle components when compared to brass ammo.