PDA

View Full Version : STAG UPPER over CMMG UPPER

Mail Clerk
09-19-2008, 2:05 PM
Hello to all,

I just picked up my rifle today and what a beautiful toy it is!!! I finally decided on gettng a STAG upper 16" "flat top" and noticed it has a 1/9 rifle twist. How does the twist compare to the newer version 1/7 rifle twist.

On my others a 1/9 twist was the standard for the US and NATO rounds but now there's 1/7?????? Isn't this twist too hot for the barrel/bullet??? Won't it burn out the barrel compared to a slower like it was discussed long ago???

Let me know what you think and can anyone comment on the quality of STAG?

Thanks,

Mail Clerk

f4ipowered
09-19-2008, 2:38 PM
Putting together the information I have read and observed, My understanding is that the 1/7 twist is ideal for 77grain bullets when one considers mass of projectile and rate of spin needed to steady that projectile. Slower twists initially were matched with 55 grain ammunition. I have a stag 16" upper with a 1/9 twist and it happily shoots 1.5 MOA with 62 grain ammo.
Myself and two other friends have Stag Uppers with no complaints. The "Stag" company is relatively new, but the company behind them has been making ar-15/m-16 stuff for a long time.

TurboFall
09-19-2008, 2:53 PM
Hello to all,

I just picked up my rifle today and what a beautiful toy it is!!! I finally decided on gettng a STAG upper 16" "flat top" and noticed it has a 1/9 rifle twist. How does the twist compare to the newer version 1/7 rifle twist.

On my others a 1/9 twist was the standard for the US and NATO rounds but now there's 1/7?????? Isn't this twist too hot for the barrel/bullet??? Won't it burn out the barrel compared to a slower like it was discussed long ago???

Let me know what you think and can anyone comment on the quality of STAG?

Thanks,

Mail Clerk

I was under the assumption M16's jumped from 1/12" twist straight to a 1/7". I'm pretty sure 1/7" is the standard on everything, and a 1/9 twist was invented for the civilian market.

apbrian112
09-19-2008, 3:09 PM
darn, can't find the site with "twist rate" info.
basically 1/9 twist is good for most regular ammo you'll probably shoot, ie: 55-69 grn stuff.
1/8 or 1/7 is better if you're planning on shooting the heavier stuff, while 1/12 is great if you're shooting varmint loads 40-55 grn stuff.
barrels also differ, some 1/9 can shoot and stabalize 75-77 grn stuff just fine, while others have problems.

pretty much stick to the 55-69 grn stuff if you're shooting through a 1/9 twist barrel.

my 18" stag upper 1/9 twist will shoot sub-moa with BH 68 grn match moly-coated cartridges.

BlackDrop50
09-19-2008, 3:53 PM
I went with CMMG over stag. Very good quality, sold it but should have kept it.

onenevertoconform
09-19-2008, 4:00 PM
Glad you sold it BD50 :)

Darklyte27
09-19-2008, 4:04 PM
A lower on top of the upper? that would be a funny sight..

jandmtv
09-19-2008, 4:33 PM
There would be no reason to buy Stag over CMMG.

just my .02c

Mail Clerk
09-19-2008, 5:12 PM
Guys/Gals,

Thank you so much for the generous replies to my question. Now that you've explained to me why they're making such fast rifleing twists in the market now I understand. Question, is the military shooting heavier bullets beyond the NATO 62 grain???

For my rifle I'm perfectly happy now with the 1/9 twist rate. I believe I won't be shooting beyond 62 grains anyway. In fact most of the time it'll be just 55 grainers.

Regarding AR barrel twist rates my buddy has an old Colt AR-15 that has a twist rate of 1/16!!!! He bought it before they first assault band and Colt had to change the name to "Sporter". After that then came removing the bayonet lug etc.

My new STAGG upper has the lug again and for me it's a nice welcome although I'll never use it or place a baynot on it anyway.

Thanks again you all,

Mail Clerk

apbrian112
09-19-2008, 5:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_262

MK 262 is being used in the DMR role.

What Just Happened?
09-19-2008, 8:18 PM
Here's an interesting chart that I've stumbled across

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/Charts/080904-AR15-Chart-FEATURES.jpg
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I didn't know that the Smith&Wesson upper was placed under such scrutiny and testing. It would explain why the uppers are $750.

But yeah, the CMMG and the Stag seem just about equal. I've only put about 100 rounds down my CMMG, but it's functioned perfectly every time.

aplinker
09-20-2008, 12:13 PM
That's the new version of a chart that's been floating around for ages. It's also the source of many "this is better" arguments.

# of blue things isn't as important as which are blue.

For example, S&W does the carrier right, but then cheaps out on the barrel. It's important to understand why those things are done so you can decide what matters.

If you notice, Stag doesn't do any of the QC checks, doesn't properly stake their carriers (very important), and also doesn't put M4 feed ramps (and barrels) in their M4 uppers.

CMMGs carriers can be upgraded when you order, as well, which is why I tend to recommend them. That, and you can get mid-lengths (which helps with reliability and smoothness).