PDA

View Full Version : super scared gun store said bullet button illegal!! :-(0

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
They said that bullet button was deemed illegal 2 years ago!! I don't know what I should do. I called to ask them if they could look at my ar15 because it fairly frequently pop primers. They asked me if I registered it years ago and I said that it had a bullet button mag lock. They said it had been deemed illegal 2 years ago when the current guy took office. I don't know what I should do now!!! Please help I don't want to go to fed prison @ 20 years old. Never done anything wrong....

jksupplyco
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Say hi to Bubba for us..

Matt C
09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
:chillpill: It's just :fud:

Nefarious
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
shop at a different gun store...
simple as that

Saigon1965
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh man, here we go again -

Bowser
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I suggest you read the laws more in depth. Almost every thread you make is of you not knowing the laws good enough to defend yourself and explain to people what's legal and what's not for your OLL.

JOEKILLA
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Say hi to Bubba for us..

:rofl:

Josh3239
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Gun stores don't write laws, enforce laws, and in most cases don't know laws.

Sounds like you need to learn the laws because the bullet button is legal and you need to find a different gun store that won't give you wrong information.

Would you drive a car before learning traffic laws? Learn the laws before you build black rifles.

sorensen440
09-19-2008, 12:26 PM
what store was it ?

jksupplyco

Sounds like you need to learn the laws because the bullet button is legal and you need to find a different gun store that won't give you wrong information.

Don't we have a fellow Calgunner that just opened up shop in the Fresno area? Might be a good direction to start...

WilliamAnderson
I suggest you read the laws more in depth. Almost every thread you make is of you not knowing the laws good enough to defend yourself and explain to people what's legal and what's not for your OLL.

I know the flow chart. I read it extensively. I did my homework. I know that if it's a fixed mag with no more than 10 round capability that you are good to go. But seeing as how they said that if I brought the gun in that they would have to legally call the police and the doj on me. I'm just scared and dont want trouble.

Spaceghost
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
We should compile a list of FUD shops, not to make fun of them, just so people know to keep their mouths shut about OLL stuff in them. There is no way you are going to persuade the shops that are ignorant or don't won't to deal in OLL's, so just don't bring it up. Easy solution, why get all worked up for nothing? Grab that box of ammo and hit the road! No time for chit chat.

I was at the local FFL the other day and when the clerk was showing one of those lame sealed magwell Bushmasters saying to a customer anything else was illegal, blah blah blah. He also said it was a GREAT GUN and a GOOD deal at one thousand dollars. I just go in there to look at the consignment shelf and am long gone before I hear too much of that crap and throw up.

Saigon1965
09-19-2008, 12:30 PM
You have 2 choices - educate the shop/range or move on.

I know the flow chart. I read it extensively. I did my homework. I know that if it's a fixed mag with no more than 10 round capability that you are good to go. But seeing as how they said that if I brought the gun in that they would have to legally call the police and the doj on me. I'm just scared and dont want trouble.

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 12:30 PM
It's William b guns in Fresno. I have always done business with them. I talked to the lady that works there.

bohoki
09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
an ar-15 is a listed weapon and a registered trademark of colt if you called it an ar-15 it would be illegal even with a bullet button and fixed 10 round mag

call it what it is really marked on the lower

and ask them where it is listed on the assault weapon ban if you feel like having fun with them make sure you brink the print out of the assault weapon id guide

because those who prefer to be ignorant never have anything to back up their "confirmed facts"

NuGunner
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Would you drive a car before learning traffic laws? Learn the laws before you build black rifles.

The same should go for those who are selling rifles! Learn/Read up on the laws, before you start selling. LE go through constant case law training

GenLee
09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Find an OLL friendly FFL in your area, I suggest whoever DROSed you the lower you ALREADY have. Give this shop/person all yes ALL of your business and stay out of these FUD shops.

And if your OLL is malfunctioning, write up a detailed post here in the riflemans section, There are some very well versed builders here that I'm sure can help you out.

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
FUD ?

Saigon1965
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
It worked on you -

Fear - Uncertainty - Doubt

FUD ?

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
just called the local range (Fresno rifle and pistol) and talked to a range master and he told me that if I drosed it in calif I'm good to go. So at least I can take it out there with no worries.

jksupplyco
09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I was at the local FFL the other day and when the clerk was showing one of those lame sealed magwell Bushmasters saying to a customer anything else was illegal, blah blah blah. He also said it was a GREAT GUN and a GOOD deal at one thousand dollars. I just go in there to look at the consignment shelf and am long gone before I hear too much of that crap and throw up.

We should all carry business cards that say:

What you just heard is incorrect. For info on California legality log on to www.calguns.net

That way when you hear the shops spreading FUD, you could discreetly slip the victim a card...

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 1:08 PM
So where is the new fresno area gun store that a cal gunner opened at?

ironcross
09-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Total FUD, It seems shops are more full of it up north :D

Never had a problem yet down here in San Diego (Me knocks on wood).

When I finished my build, I went to an Indoor range (only thing close, The real range I goto is call Jacumba :p) to break her in. So I brought my cleaning gear, so I asked if I could clean it, he asked what I got. I said an AR, he said cool just shotgun it open and have fun.

Only thing I heard that down here is from this one Police Supply store, I asked is there any way to one an AR15 style rifle, he said no only the Bushie sealed mag well. Givin that was right after sunset IIRC before the OLL movement.

Like others said we should have a Shop list and we can post if stores have sales etc. Like we have a FFL list.

Like you said, you did all your homework. As long you have an OLL, and you said you got a mag lock, and only using 10rd mags and meet the overall length of 30inches.

Also should have chimed in about problems before taking it in to a shop, a lot of these guys have been here dont that. So Im sure they are able to help you in this case.

Kinda sounds like the ammo your using. What kind of ammo are you using?

ADD:
We should all carry business cards that say:

What you just heard is incorrect. For info on California legality log on to www.calguns.net

That way when you hear the shops spreading FUD, you could discreetly slip the victim a card...

I love it
:rofl2:

sorensen440
09-19-2008, 1:17 PM
Like others said we should have a Shop list and we can post if stores have sales etc. Like we have a FFL list.

Good idea
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1540392#post1540392

DedEye
09-19-2008, 5:18 PM
We should compile a list of FUD shops, not to make fun of them, just so people know not to shop their and take our buisness to gunshops that don't spread misinformation

Fixed it for you.

Anderson: Take your AR to the gunshop that said it was illegal and let them call the police. Let them tell you it's legal in front of the shop employee ;).

X-NewYawker
09-19-2008, 5:28 PM
Fixed it for you.

Anderson: Take your AR to the gunshop that said it was illegal and let them call the police. Let them tell you it's legal in front of the shop employee ;).

Fun. Unless you get an ignorant LEO (after all the gunstore called him to report an AW -- he'd probably com in with SWAT) and he ARRESTS you and then later, when you get out of jail for being right. everyone's embarrassed.

tenpercentfirearms
09-19-2008, 5:32 PM
I tell guys it is illegal all the time and then after I hang up I call my ATF rep and give over the guy's phone number so they can arrest them and throw them in federal pound me in the arse prison.

I also trace IPs on this forum and do the same thing except all of the cyber stuff goes to Homeland and they usually take it from there.

Nothing upsets me more than a gun owner who doesn't know the law and breaks it so I try to get them all arrested. It is for the children.

^^^
FUD

fullrearview
09-19-2008, 6:00 PM
Say hi to Bubba for us..

LOL

-hanko
09-19-2008, 6:22 PM
:confused:They said that bullet button was deemed illegal 2 years ago!! I don't know what I should do. I called to ask them if they could look at my ar15 because it fairly frequently pop primers. They asked me if I registered it years ago and I said that it had a bullet button mag lock. They said it had been deemed illegal 2 years ago when the current guy took office. I don't know what I should do now!!! Please help I don't want to go to fed prison @ 20 years old. Never done anything wrong....
So William, this is like you don't know whether to deficate or wind your watch:confused:??

You need to learn to fish, as it were. Stop whining. Go through this and the legal forum and educate yourself, please. Do your homework And please stop the whining:sleeping:

Why would you think you'd go to federal prison for a violation of a CA law??:TFH: If this is a first offense and a felony, I'd expect San Quintin or maybe Santa Rita; though a good lawyer can probably get you off with a year or so and a large fine.:eek:

Eta...you said you read and understood the AW Flowchart...therefore your OP fails both on logic and self-confidence, big time.;)

-hanko

SJgunguy24
09-19-2008, 6:23 PM
Fixed it for you.

+10000

They don't like the taste of humble pie either.

haodoken
09-19-2008, 7:29 PM
They said that bullet button was deemed illegal 2 years ago!! I don't know what I should do. I called to ask them if they could look at my ar15 because it fairly frequently pop primers. They asked me if I registered it years ago and I said that it had a bullet button mag lock. They said it had been deemed illegal 2 years ago when the current guy took office. I don't know what I should do now!!! Please help I don't want to go to fed prison @ 20 years old. Never done anything wrong....

What you should do is send the complete rifle to me. I will dispose of it properly for you. I don't want you to get into trouble. :D

Joking aside. It's just more uninformed Gun Store FUD! Go somewhere else.

thedrickel
09-19-2008, 7:58 PM
So where is the new fresno area gun store that a cal gunner opened at?

It's not open for biz yet but it's coming very soon.

jamesob
09-19-2008, 8:00 PM
was it gillman and mayfield by chance? iasked them about fixing my fal and they said blah blah blah assault weapon blah blah blah assault weapon blah blah blah assault weapon.

Darklyte27
09-19-2008, 8:13 PM
is this poster serious? or wanted to get a rise out of calgunners?..
it sounded like a 12 yr old or somethin.

All Nav
09-19-2008, 8:36 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if that lady at your store knows the store owner I talked to the other day who knows that Saiga AKs are illegal here in the Golden State. Wish I'd talked to that guy before I went out, bought one, converted it, and took it to the range, bullet button and all. Damn...

WilliamAnderson
09-20-2008, 12:20 AM
is this poster serious? or wanted to get a rise out of calgunners?..
it sounded like a 12 yr old or somethin.

I really didn't think I'd get so many *** holes on here because I was very sure that I was on the right side of the law. But when I asked a gun store owner I had a strange feeling that they knew the law a little bit more than a web forum of shooters. My bad.. I was just trying to look out for myself not feel like a dumb *** to you guys. I thought I would get positive advise. Thanks for the help from the cool guys who don't accuse me of being some 12 year old.

soopafly
09-20-2008, 12:33 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg1NDk4MDk3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzI1NTY3._V1._ SX485_SY319_.jpg
"Mr. Anderson...
...you see, these black rifles are like a disease...
...and we...are the cure."

soopafly
09-20-2008, 1:01 AM
Slow down, relax, take a deep breath. You're ok. It's that particular gunshop employee that is misinformed. Be confident in the fact that your research has shown you that you have done nothing illegal.

bigthaiboy
09-20-2008, 2:00 AM

Amen.

LOL. The OP called you guys ***holes! William. It's a shame you only just this very second managed to grow a pair of bollocks and started sticking up for yourself on an anonymous internet forum, Mr William Anderson of the Fresno area.

Shame you left your man plums at home before you went to the gun store in question, otherwise you would have had the confidence and conviction to stand your ground, because you know without a shadow of a doubt, that your rifle is completely legal to the letter of the law.

Instead, you came home with a steaming load in your pants and posted this:

I don't know what I should do now!!! Please help I don't want to go to fed prison @ 20 years old. Never done anything wrong....

This is the male equivalent of what you might find on a teenage girl's forum: "I haven't had a period for 8 weeks and I think I'm pregnant! What shoud I do now? My dad's going to kill me!!"

I wasn't going to post on this thread, until you called other members on this forum ***holes, which is uncalled for. Some advice: 99% of the time, gun shop employees are the worst place to get your information on CA gun law.

Now go and wipe your bottom, and change your pants.

rkt88edmo
09-20-2008, 4:44 AM
Christ on a stick - you guys aren't feeling very nice today.

Please stop dogpiling on WA, if you don't have anything nice to say - consider every other snarky post in this thread to have been made for you and skip posting for now.

javalos
09-20-2008, 6:07 AM
Christ on a stick - you guys aren't feeling very nice today.

Please stop dogpiling on WA, if you don't have anything nice to say - consider every other snarky post in this thread to have been made for you and skip posting for now.

Agree, people like WA need answers and directions, not crap. Calguns should be a haven for the FUD that come here for answers from the idiots out in gun world.

CaptMike
09-20-2008, 8:15 AM
I agree, this is about helping each other out. If i am unsure, I will ask a question where people will help. I dont expect to get attached by the super ego's of some that beleieve they know every thing. lets work together fellow calgunners. as an unwise person once said "can't we all just get along"

Mail Clerk
09-20-2008, 8:58 AM
William,

Think of it in reverse. If it were illegal how come the DOJ and the BATF haven't shut it down since it was made???? It's been a fairly long time for them to do anything so in reality they must know the legalities of it. It's legal and the authorities know it!!!

Mail Clerk

rkt88edmo
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Agree, people like WA need answers and directions, not crap. Calguns should be a haven for the FUD that come here for answers from the idiots out in gun world.

I will have to say that I am not a strong advocate of the "everyone play nice" philosophy all the time, but (in this caes) after a certain point enough is enough - and easy targets are no fun :P

a1fabweld
09-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry William, I thought high school was over a long time ago. Longer for me than you. Anyway. Read the DOJ's assault weapons I.D. guide for firm answers on how to configure your gun. Make sure you are comfortable enough & confident enough to argue the law with a rookie cop or someone who gives you crap (much like the other Calgunners have flung at you here). I don't leave the house with a black rifle unless I have a printed copy of the DOJ laws & my registration paperwork on the particular rifle/s I'm using. It's just a good piece of mind to back you up in a legal confontation. Sorry for the other guy's bashing on you & you should feel welcome here!

DedEye
09-20-2008, 7:04 PM
Sorry William, I thought high school was over a long time ago. Longer for me than you. Anyway. Read the DOJ's assault weapons I.D. guide for firm answers on how to configure your gun. Make sure you are comfortable enough & confident enough to argue the law with a rookie cop or someone who gives you crap (much like the other Calgunners have flung at you here). I don't leave the house with a black rifle unless I have a printed copy of the DOJ laws & my registration paperwork on the particular rifle/s I'm using. It's just a good piece of mind to back you up in a legal confontation. Sorry for the other guy's bashing on you & you should feel welcome here!

Since when does the DOJ's AW ID Guide include information on Bullet Buttons? Did you mean the AW Flowchart, not produced by or affiliated with the DOJ? Registration paperwork is only good if you have a registered AW; everyone else with OLLs (like William) don't have paperwork to include with their rifles.

a1fabweld
09-20-2008, 9:00 PM
Since when does the DOJ's AW ID Guide include information on Bullet Buttons? Did you mean the AW Flowchart, not produced by or affiliated with the DOJ? Registration paperwork is only good if you have a registered AW; everyone else with OLLs (like William) don't have paperwork to include with their rifles.

I was referring to DOJ's definition of a "fixed magazine", "if you have this, then you can't have this", etc.... I feel more comfortable with something that's actually from a govt. agency website stating the laws vs. the Calguns flowchart (no offense). The flowchart is great info, but IMO, it's not as concrete in terms of arguing with a leo who's trying to take your gun or take you to jail. The DOJ's definition doesn't actually spell out the words bullet button, but anyone that can read can put 2 + 2 together to see that a bullet button meets their requirements. As far as the registration paperwork I'm referring to (dros), mine has the serial # for the particular lower I have pinned to my rifle which is the gov't controlled part of the gun right? Isn't the purpose of the dros for a background check & registration of the gun's serial #? If so, that's my proof of legally buying the "gun" in CA & the DOJ AW ID guide proves that it's built to be CA compliant.

M. Sage
09-20-2008, 9:11 PM

Relaaaaax. Seriously, if you were 21, I'd tell you to go have three or four shots of whiskey and come back after that. :p

You've read the flowchart, and the footnotes on it have the relevant info. If you're still this jumpy, you might be better off selling your OLL and buying something "safer" like a Kel-Tec.

The DOJ's definition doesn't actually spell out the words bullet button, but anyone that can read can put 2 + 2 together to see that a bullet button meets their requirements.

You put a bit too much faith in police who've already decided that you're a criminal half a second after they've seen that your OLL is not a registered AW.

SP1200
09-21-2008, 12:43 AM
an ar-15 is a listed weapon and a registered trademark of colt if you called it an ar-15 it would be illegal even with a bullet button and fixed 10 round mag

call it what it is really marked on the lower

and ask them where it is listed on the assault weapon ban if you feel like having fun with them make sure you brink the print out of the assault weapon id guide

because those who prefer to be ignorant never have anything to back up their "confirmed facts"

Yea I see a LOT of people referring to their OLL's as an "AR" why...

I never say that word. But I like showing it to guests at BBQ's, Christmas, and just about any other time because I love the looks of OMG that's an Assault Weapon...lol... Then I get to correct them and say it's a "Legally configured, centerfire, semi automatic rifle" then when they say "But that's an AR" I say "no...It's an Essential Arms F15J" then I lay down the law....

then we usually spend the next 2 hours talking about who thinks there right and who know tier wrong...lol...

Crazy_J
09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Slow down, relax, take a deep breath. You're ok. It's that particular gunshop employee that is misinformed. Be confident in the fact that your research has shown you that you have done nothing illegal.

It is not only the employees, Its the owner that is speading FUD!!!!
I went to William B Mayfields formally Gilman and Mayfields and asked the owner if he carried any AR parts. I then told him that i purchased a OLL and was going to build a varmint setup with the BB (fixed mag)>
He then started to tell me that if i build it i would be arrested!!!!!
HE also stated that if i ever brought it in to his store he would call the cops.....
I tried to educate him on the OLL movement but it was like talking to a brick Wall. So i politely advised him that as a gun shop owner he should know or at least look into what is legal in California, also if he does not what to sell OLL's that is his right as a owner but not to spread FUD!!!!!!!
Needless to say after many years of buying guns there I will never buy or recommend them to any future gun buyers.

BroncoBob
09-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Drop this store from your list of stores to do business with. Some guys just have their heads so far up their *** they can't see day light.

shark92651
09-21-2008, 1:17 PM
What is it with these gun store owners that are always threatening to call the cops on their customers? If you don't want to deal in OLLs then don't - but what is it with all the hostility?

sloguy
09-23-2008, 4:18 AM
Don't we have a fellow Calgunner that just opened up shop in the Fresno area? Might be a good direction to start...

fedupwithbs, calguns member, and a really good guy.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2008, 5:30 AM
What is it with these gun store owners that are always threatening to call the cops on their customers? If you don't want to deal in OLLs then don't - but what is it with all the hostility?

There was a big moron who used to work at Gretas who said he'd call the cops because my P-22 had a threaded barrel.

halifax
09-23-2008, 5:57 AM

During my initial interview with the BATFE, the agent told me that "as an acting agent of the federal government, I was obliged to report any illegal firearms or activities I became aware of during the course of my business".

I guess that some CA dealers carry that "obligation" over to CA regulations.

BTW, although she called me an "agent of the federal gov't", she didn't give me a badge :(

DedEye
09-23-2008, 2:42 PM
There was a big moron who used to work at Gretas who said he'd call the cops because my P-22 had a threaded barrel.

Did you register that P22 as an assault weapon?

Ballistic043
09-23-2008, 3:02 PM
bottom line here, dont strike up OLL conversations with gun store employees. alot of them have too much pride to admit they dont know, or they are wrong about something. so really you ARE talking to a brick wall. you know OLL's are a hot controversial topic in CA, especially among employees of gun stores. so if you are going to bring up the topic, be prepared for a can of worms

PIRATE14
09-23-2008, 3:33 PM
During my initial interview with the BATFE, the agent told me that "as an acting agent of the federal government, I was obliged to report any illegal firearms or activities I became aware of during the course of my business".

I guess that some CA dealers carry that "obligation" over to CA regulations.

BTW, although she called me an "agent of the federal gov't", she didn't give me a badge :(

I didn't get a badge either.....plus, I am still waiting for that first paycheck as an "agent for the federal gov't".....

Maybe when you're a SUPER SECRET AGENT.....you don't get paid...

a1fabweld
09-23-2008, 4:11 PM
Some of the gun shops I shop at not only won't have any part of a conversation regarding bullet buttons etc., but actually make bitter beer faces & grunt as they walk away as if Hillary Clinton was naked in front of them. Those same guys when caught at the bar will chat all night with you as we do here. WTF? One shop only sells EBR's if the mag lock is epoxied, super glued, staked, welded & bubble gummed.

M. Sage
09-23-2008, 5:12 PM

Walther P22 with a threaded barrel (any semi-auto handgun with a threaded barrel) is an assault weapon by features. Like DedEye said, I hope yours is either registered or disassembled.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-23-2008, 6:29 PM
His loss of business that is. And if were all going to jail. There going to have to build more to hold 10,000 CGERS.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2008, 6:54 PM
Walther P22 with a threaded barrel (any semi-auto handgun with a threaded barrel) is an assault weapon by features. Like DedEye said, I hope yours is either registered or disassembled.

This was years ago. It was going back to S&W for a barrel retrofit (which it has had since that day) -- I asked him to make sure it was the threaded barrel -- he broke the barrel getting the shroud off - then said he'd call the cops if I didn't clear out. Smith for free retrofitted CA pistols that were brought in by Gunstores legally before anyone realized that this tiny 22 pistol was a dreaded "AW."

motorhead
09-23-2008, 10:26 PM
oh and not to worry, your prison time would be state not federal.
i agree on a sticky listing oll unfriendly shops and ranges. might save some hassles and could convince said folks to wake up and smell the cordite. someone will probably chime in here with some legal liability crap about why this can't be done.

Ballistic043
09-24-2008, 6:52 AM
yes, a list would be good. but remember, just because a store owner is supportive of CA legal AR in general, does not mean the employees share the sentiment.

avoid the hassle, and possible argument. look em up and call them first; ask if they carry AR15 accessories. if they do, ask the name of the salesman whom you spoke to and go to the store and speak with him. this way he knows whos coming in and what kind of business to expect. do not start up OLL converstations, do not chit chat the small talk. unless you bring your rifle onto store property, its none of his business if your rifle is registered, illegal, or an OLL with/without the features.

motorhead
09-24-2008, 8:25 AM
yeah, probably best. and share your experiences, pos. and neg. .