PDA

View Full Version : SKS Fiberforce stock questions

bombadillo
09-19-2008, 8:41 AM
I was wondering if the handguard on the SKS fiberforce stock from ATI is required to swap the stocks or if the original wood handguard should fit. I cannot get mine to fit in there. I'm thinking of buying a cheapo yugo to play with so I don't mess up the nice russian wood that gregchico just sold me. Anyway, just a couple of questions so any help would be good. Pictures appreciated and I know I have to fill in the thumbhole for it to be legal, yada yada 922blahblah r.

Baron
09-19-2008, 9:21 AM
Actually the SKS is a fixed mag so you can leave the thumbhole on it.
I've seen pics of people who left the wood handguard on and it fit inside the Fiberforce stock. Did you already buy the fiberforce stock? if so you will want to shave off the nub that sits right behind the reciever dust cover. it will block the removal of the dust cover during cleaning and means that you will have to fully remove the reciever out of the stock just to feild strip it.

If you have not purchased the stock yet, you may want to look at the Choate dragunov stock instead. it is built alot better and comes with a handguard to replace the wood on the gas tube. plus it alows the SKS to be field stripped as normal

bombadillo
09-19-2008, 7:56 PM
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, and I had the stock before I had the gun unfortunately. I am going to grind off that nub you're talking about and it looks as if I'm gonna have to hit it up with a wood file to get the trigger assembly and the whole thing together. Oh well, lesson learned but the stock was only 15 bucks at the big reno show.

bigthaiboy
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Is this the "Dragunov" type stock? I had one, made the SKS a real PIA to strip and clean. Ended up changing back to the original wood stock.

You could dispense with the upper handguard, but don't forget, it counts as 1/2 of a 922(r) US-made part. The stock is one part, the handguard and gas tube upper handguards makes up US part No.2. So if you have enough 922(r) parts to cover the SKS, you may not miss the 1/2 part count.