PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 Lobster Season is about to begin!

viras
09-19-2008, 7:09 AM
Hello Ladies and Gents,

As some of you may know, I love to fish. Being of Pacific Islander origins, I've been fishing since I was 3.

Anyhow, when I moved to San Diego, I got into Lobster fishing. It's a fun and tasty hobby, with minimal effort and skill level required. Basically, if you can lift 50lbs, you're good to go.

This year, Lobster season opens on Saturday, September 27th, 2008.

In California, there are 2 legal ways to catch Lobster - A) Freehand, i.e. diving and picking up lobster with your bare hands. B) Hoop Netting. I prefer Hoop-netting on Opening Night, only because it's easier than getting a bunch of people to go out and buy expensive dive gear to go with me.

Every year, I like to invite n00bs out with us and have a BBQ/Lobster Season Opener. Typically, we BBQ from sunset - midnight, and then when the season opens up at midnight, we fish until 3-4AM. In 2003, we cast out our nets at Midnight and got our bag limits (7 lobster EACH) within 1.5 hours!

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the location. I'll be out there a couple of hours before sunset, to claim the spot. You can feel free to meet me out there anytime afterwards.

**Just to clear up any confusion, we will be meeting on Friday, September 26th at around Sunset, BBQing until midnight, and then tossing the nets into the water at 12:01AM on Saturday. Sept. 27th.**

If you wanna join in the lobster fishing, you will need to review the California DFG's 2008 Ocean Fishing Regulation Guide, found here (I've also summed it up in the quote box below): http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

Gear (If you plan on fishing with us)

You will need the following at minimum:

1) Fishing License
2) Lobster Gauge
3) Lobster Report Card
4) 2 X 36" (or 32") Lobster Hoop Nets
5) A 5 Gal Bucket
6) Some Gloves
7) 150 Feet of rope per lobster net
8) Flashlight/Lantern
9) Food/Beer
10) 7" OR 10" HEAVY DUTY ZIPTIES
11) BRING BAIT!

Below is a list of viable bait options:

* Mackeral
* Chicken Necks / Turkey Necks
* Canned Catfood w/holes poked into the lid
* Girl's Pantyhose filled with Chicken Liver
* Freshwater Trout

Basically, Lobster are bottom-feeding scavengers who feed on dead sea life. Anything that resembles stinky, dead, rotting meat is excellent bait. I like to use rotting Mackeral - I put some frozen mackerals in a black, hefty garbage bag and leave it in the sun for 1-2 days, and then on Lobster night, it smells perfect. Yummmmmmmy....

Gear (If you DON'T plan on fishing):

1) Warm clothes that you don't care if they get dirty
2) Beach Chairs/Tables
3) Flashlight/Lantern
4) Food/Beer

If you just wanna come and hang out for the BBQ, and then eat some free lobster after midnight, you're more than welcome to come out too. But realistically, you should bring some minimal gear with you for your own confort's sake - it can get cold, foggy, and boring out there :) Bring whatever you would normally bring to a day at the beach or a faux-camping trip.

I will be bringing a Charcoal BBQ and some Carne Asada, tortilla's, butter, Guac, Salsa, paper plates, napkins, a small gas stove, a large 2 gallon pot (to immediately boil the lobster), a lantern, a 5 gallon bottle of Fresh Water, and some drinks (beer and soda). I'd advise everyone who's coming to bring something to throw on the grill, and then some beverages.

Spiny Lobster Reporting Requirements

Starting in Fall 2008, persons fishing for or taking spiny
lobster must have a lobster report card. The purpose of the
new reporting requirement is to monitor recreational catch,
effort and the gear used in the recreational lobster fishery.
Regulations require that prior to beginning fishing activity
the cardholder must record the month, day, location, and gear
code on the first available line on the report card. When the
cardholder moves to another location, or finishes fishing for
the day, he or she must immediately record on the card the
number of lobster kept from that location.
Unlike abalone permit report cards, an additional card may
be purchased in the event an individual fills in all lines and
returns a spiny lobster report card.

California Spiny Lobster Regulations:

29.90. Spiny Lobsters.
(a) Open season: From the Saturday
preceding the first Wednesday in October
through the first Wednesday after the 15th
of March.
(b) Limit: Seven.
(c) Minimum size: Three and one-fourth
inches measured in a straight line on the mid-line of the back from the rear edge of the eye
socket to the rear edge of the body shell. Any lobster may be brought to the surface of the water
for the purpose of measuring, but no undersize lobster may be brought aboard any boat, placed
in any type of receiver, kept on the person or retained in any personís possession or under his
direct control; all lobsters shall be measured immediately upon being brought to the surface of
the water, and any undersize lobster shall be released immediately into the water.
(d) Report Card Required: Any person fishing for or taking spiny lobster shall have in their
possession a non-transferable Spiny Lobster Report Card issued by the department and shall adhere
to all reporting requirements for lobster defined in Sections 1.74 and 29.91, Title 14, CCR.
29.91. Spiny Lobster Report Card Requirements for Ocean Waters.
(a) Spiny Lobster Report Card Required. All individuals must have a Spiny Lobster Report
Card in their possession while fishing for or taking lobster. In the case of a person diving from
a boat, the report card may be kept in the boat, or
in the case of a person diving from the shore, the
report card may be kept within 500 yards from the
point of entry. Individuals must complete and return
the card pursuant to regulations in this Section and
in Section 1.74.
(b) Prior to beginning fishing activity, the cardholder
must record the month, day, location, and gear code on the first available line on the report
card.
(c) When the cardholder moves to another location code, or finishes fishing for the day, he or
she must immediately record on the card the number of lobster kept from that location.
(d) In the event an individual fills in all lines and returns a Spiny Lobster Report Card, an
additional card may be purchased. See Section 1.74.
(e) The annual fee for the Spiny Lobster Report Card is specified in Section 701, Title 14, CCR.

I will do my best to answer any questions you may have; feel free to PM me.

PorkLover
09-19-2008, 7:50 AM
too bad I live in NorCal.....sounds like fun....good luck!....

Moonclip
09-19-2008, 7:51 AM
Sounds interesting, SD area? Maybe I can get others interested and carpool.

Outlaw
09-19-2008, 7:56 AM
Sounds like fun. PM sent.

locktime
09-19-2008, 8:17 AM
I'll be down below, blowing bubbles.

Lobster diving is one of the great things about Southern California.

Fun to catch; great to eat !

PistolPete75
09-19-2008, 8:48 AM
i would have love to go, but i have a prior commitment next saturday. mayby on round 2!

GenLee
09-19-2008, 8:57 AM
I will be launching out of Shelter Island. Good luck to you and your crew Viras.

wildcard
09-19-2008, 8:57 AM
Alright.. I hate missing my class.. but this is impossible to turn down because I love lobster! Sending PM. Awesome opportunity and offer.

cseabass
09-19-2008, 9:18 AM
i would be all over this but, alas, i am in norcal and cant get down...

sounds like it would be a hoot. i havent had lobster in years!

viras
09-19-2008, 9:42 AM
I will be launching out of Shelter Island. Good luck to you and your crew Viras.

Cheers mate!

Where are you headed? Towards the PL Kelp or LJ Kelp?

We're gonna put some nets in Wreck Alley, NOSC Tower, and the Old Ingraham Street Bride - these spots have been very productive for us in the past...

hooookup
09-19-2008, 1:23 PM
Not going out on the opener this year. Im heading out Saturday afternoon to drop some eclipse's on some shallow water rocks and structure off of imperial beach. Lobster fishing is like being addicted to crack. I obsess over it. I have the sweetest lobster setup/puller on my little skiff. Can't wait.

PistolPete75
09-19-2008, 2:05 PM
Alright.. I hate missing my class.. but this is impossible to turn down because I love lobster! Sending PM. Awesome opportunity and offer.

your going to have alot of fun. i wouldn't feel right without going without denise. she is the angler in the family.

GenLee
09-19-2008, 2:10 PM
Cheers mate!

Where are you headed? Towards the PL Kelp or LJ Kelp?

We're gonna put some nets in Wreck Alley, NOSC Tower, and the Old Ingraham Street Bride - these spots have been very productive for us in the past...

We have a great spot just past the PL kelp off of OB, We also hit the navy dock accross the channel from the sub base, This spot is killer but the Navy usually makes quick work of chasing us off. :mad:

wildcard
09-19-2008, 2:39 PM
your going to have alot of fun. i wouldn't feel right without going without denise. she is the angler in the family.

So take her along!

PistolPete75
09-19-2008, 2:43 PM
but who is going to watch the baby? it's too cold for chloe.

Frijolito1988
09-19-2008, 3:26 PM
Sounds interesting, SD area? Maybe I can get others interested and carpool.

I might, how do fish these ? off a pier ? boat ?

Moonclip
09-19-2008, 4:21 PM
I might, how do fish these ? off a pier ? boat ?

I'm probably not going to fish though, just bring suopplies and help eat the lobster:) If you are serious, lets try to do this.

viras
09-19-2008, 5:37 PM
Well, you can go off of a pier or a boat, but on opening night, my group likes to go off of some dangerous cliffs.

Beer + High, Dangerous Cliffs + Hoisting 40lb baskets of slippery seaweed up 30 ft Cliffs = A good time ;)

glockman19
09-19-2008, 8:15 PM
I'll be baiting my spot with CostCo Chickens Saturday afternoon. I'll come back and drop traps at midnight.

all I need is a lobster gague.

I'll post pics of anything I catch on Sunday

hd0642
09-21-2008, 5:20 PM
too bad I live in NorCal.....sounds like fun....good luck!....

are there lobsters in norcal waters? it does sound like fun + ive never eaten lobster.

viras
09-22-2008, 7:59 AM
are there lobsters in norcal waters? it does sound like fun + ive never eaten lobster.

No, you guys have the Dungeness (sp?) Crab season opening at approximately the same time our Lobster season opens. Lobster's are a warmer-water species - you should be able to find them South of Point Arguello (34.57712 / -120.64731, LINK TO GOOGLEMAPS (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=34.57712+%2F+-120.64731&ie=UTF8&ll=34.542762,-120.223389&spn=6.188255,9.887695&t=h&z=7&iwloc=addr)).

viras
09-22-2008, 8:13 AM
Guys, I forgot to mention:

BRING BAIT!

Below is a list of viable bait options:

1) Mackeral
2) Chicken Necks / Turkey Necks
3) Canned Catfood w/holes poked into the lid
4) Girl's Pantyhose filled with Chicken Liver
5) Freshwater Trout

Basically, Lobster are bottom-feeding scavengers who feed on dead sea life. Anything that resembles stinky, dead, rotting meat is excellent bait. I like to use rotting Mackeral - I put some frozen mackerals in a black, hefty garbage bag and leave it in the sun for 1-2 days, and then on Lobster night, it smells perfect. Yummmmmmmy....

daves100
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
got the location ( gps #'s) will it be hard to find your group if i show up around 6 or 7 pm....

are you far from the road?

xYourLocalAR15x
09-24-2008, 1:02 PM
I've got the cord's also. Will see you out there. I pm'd you regarding phone numbers.

viras
09-24-2008, 1:03 PM
Park in that parking lot to the west of the GPS location arrow. You will definitely see us there; we'll have multiple lanterns and a BBQ set up. We'll be hard to miss. :)

You'll see my Toyota Solara in the parking lot.

I'll be wearing blue jeans, gray sweatshirt, and a charcoal gray jacket, and a white SF 49er's beanie.

xYourLocalAR15x
09-24-2008, 1:05 PM
Park in that parking lot to the west of the GPS location arrow. You will definitely see us there; we'll have multiple lanterns and a BBQ set up. We'll be hard to miss. :)

You'll see my Toyota Solara in the parking lot.

I'll be wearing blue jeans, gray sweatshirt, and a charcoal gray jacket, and a white SF 49er's beanie.

uhh oh... are we going to have to get down if i'm wearing a Raiders beanie? hahah

Jicko
09-24-2008, 1:39 PM
I AM IN, I AM SO IN! :chris:

I just had 2 6lb lobsters that I bought back from Boston. Now, I want more....

viras
09-24-2008, 3:20 PM
LOL Jicko, California Spiny Lobster are completely different species from their East Coast Lobster cousins... The CA kind have no claws, just a nice, big, juicy tail. Here's a pic:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/newsletter/images/spinylobster.jpg

Here's a pic of the East Coast one:

http://www.tremblantrealty.com/blog/wp-content/lobster4a.JPG

If you've ever eaten lobster taco's in Mexico, you'll know that they taste kinda different too.

xYourLocalAR15x - I'm down with all Bay Area teams man, Raiders/49ers, A's, Giants, Kings, etc... I'm a big fan of them all (only when they're winning, of course) ;)

Anyhow, all PMs have been replied to.

This spot I'm showing you guys has been historically productive over the past 6 years for me.

Here's a pic of what to expect:

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00312/94/35/312435349_l.jpg

viras
09-24-2008, 3:37 PM
I forgot to mention, bring a good pair of gloves

Reason: Your hands are gonna get pretty torn up pulling up lobster nets.

Jicko
09-24-2008, 4:36 PM
Who are coming, can we get a list going??

So that, we can have a food/drink fest BEFORE the hunt... some of you had tried my steaks before.... ;)

xYourLocalAR15x
09-24-2008, 4:42 PM
I'll be there..

Names Robert

along with my friends

Joe, Derrick, Dan, and another guy.

I'm afraid because when ever I am with Joe, I drink way too much :43:

Moonclip
09-24-2008, 4:50 PM
How do you prepare the lobster? Sounds fun eating fresh lobster at 2-3am!

locktime
09-24-2008, 5:08 PM
BBQ the tails

viras
09-24-2008, 5:53 PM
BBQ the tails

I'll have a BBQ there as well as a boiling pot :)

RockinCali
09-24-2008, 6:07 PM
I totally wish I was off this weekend... I would so drive to socal with my GF for this :(

xYourLocalAR15x
09-24-2008, 8:26 PM
just did some research and it seems this saturday is free fishing day for california!
save your money and dont buy a license :)

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/freefishdays.html

Moonclip
09-25-2008, 12:07 AM
just did some research and it seems this saturday is free fishing day for california!
save your money and dont buy a license :)

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/freefishdays.html

Hellz yes, and I will be there with 1-2 others, I will help in any way needed nut I won't have any or little gear. I guess since it is free fishing day we can take more lobsters then with more people able to take them.

I have not eaten lobster in ages. I will call the op soon.

Rumpled
09-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I can't make it, but have wanted to go lobstering for a long time.

Let me get this straight, you are hoop netting from shore?
I always thought you had to have a boat.

xYourLocalAR15x
09-25-2008, 1:17 AM
Hellz yes, and I will be there with 1-2 others, I will help in any way needed nut I won't have any or little gear. I guess since it is free fishing day we can take more lobsters then with more people able to take them.

I have not eaten lobster in ages. I will call the op soon.

just make sure they got a lobster report card...

viras
09-25-2008, 6:10 AM
Guys, you're right - it IS free fishing day! That means you don't need a license or the ocean enhancement stamp.

However, you will still need a lobster gauge and lobster report card if you plan on fishing.

Rumpled - yes, we're hoop netting from the shore. It's preferable to have a boat, but it's possible from the shore if the spot is right. The spot I chose has 20-30 foot overhanging cliffs that we're gonna cast our nets off of, and then pull them up at an angle. Keep in mind, you can also hoop-net from the Ocean Beach Pier. The spot would be EXCELLENT if it weren't overcrowded with lobster fishermen on opening night.

David002
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Never tried lobster fishing before, but it sounds fun...and i LOVE eating lobster....about how much will all that gear cost me/where can i get it? might have to make the drive down if you guys dont mind showing a noob the ropes :43:

Nefarious
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
OHH MAN!!! I just paid attention to this thread and realize its TOMORROW!! HORRIBLE timing for me. I would so LOVE to give this a try too :(

viras
09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
The nets are between $30-$40 bucks. The 32" are closer to the $30 price and the 36" are closer to $40. These nets have a built-in bait pocket, so additional "bait cages" are unnecessary.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/factory2u2/NETCRABLOBSTERNE1021.jpg

The lobster gauge is $2-$3 bucks:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/4-94/479952194.jpg

The Lobster Report Card is $7.50.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/images/LobsterSample.jpg

The CA DFG Fishing Annual License costs $38.85, plus you need the $4.45 Ocean Enhancement Stamp, but you don't need one for Opening Night, because as previously pointed out, it's free fishing day on Sept. 27th.

All of the gear can be purchased at Seaforth Landing (http://www.seaforthlanding.com), or any reputable Southern California tackle store.

PistolPete75
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
free fishing. get's even better. i'll be missing out.

btw, those jicko steaks are goooood!

jonesjustin
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I would like to join you guys. I have a few nets and plan on getting a couple more

xYourLocalAR15x
09-25-2008, 1:18 PM
I would like to join you guys. I have a few nets and plan on getting a couple more

you can only have two per fisherman

Rumpled
09-25-2008, 1:31 PM
Figure, the f'ng DFG.
Everything now has to have a special permit, tag or card.
When you buy a fishing or hunting license it's almost good for nothing.

Good luck to you all!

Jicko
09-25-2008, 1:33 PM
you can only have two per fisherman

Legally, you can have more, but since we already have 20+ people coming to this event, it would be nice to keep it to 2 nets per person, if you are participating in this group event....

xYourLocalAR15x
09-25-2008, 1:35 PM
Legally, you can have more, but since we already have 20+ people coming to this event, it would be nice to keep it to 2 nets per person, if you are participating in this group event....

would this be considered a boat type of deal? I thought it was only 2 per person from any public pier? i only have one for myself i didnt want to over do it. maybe i should go grab another

Moonclip
09-25-2008, 4:22 PM
If someone is going to bring extra nets, I am willing to bring bait and I will get a report card tomorrow and try to find the lobster measurer unless I can borrow that too:) Viras, I will call you later.

jonesjustin
09-25-2008, 4:56 PM
I was going to get the new eclipse net it looks like they would have a harder time getting out

viras
09-25-2008, 5:17 PM
Hey guys,

Here's some 411

-Lobster Report Cards:

WalMart is not carrying them... not one in San Diego has any lobster report cards.

Big 5 in the college area has 6 left.

Turners in Kearny Mesa only has "a few" left also.

I've been calling around, and apparently they're selling out quick. Also, they're $7.90, not $7.50 like I originally said. I would've bought them out so that I could've held them for you guys, but you have to fill it out with your personal info like DL number and Fishing License number. So, go get yours quick!

-RE: 2 nets per person.

Legally, you're allowed to have 5 nets per person when fishing off of the shore. 2 nets per person on OB Pier is a pier rule I think, not a state rule. At the spot I'm taking you guys to, the waves are very powerful, so lines get tangled very easily. You can bring 5 nets if you want, but you'll be spending most of your time untangling messes all night, and re-throwing nets as soon as they wash in. Me and my buddies have done really well in this spot before with just 4 nets total for all 3 of us. It's all about the quality of bait/attractant you're using and the proper throwing and pulling techniques to get your nets far enough out there and pull them back while being completely taut, not necessarily the number of nets you have out.

Also, lobster are quick little critters. Due to this, we usually throw and pull in 20-30 minute increments. Lots of old school fishermen say we're nuts for throwing/pulling/rebaiting/throwing in such quick intervals, but our success in the past shuts them up real quick. In the spot I'm taking you guys to, we usually catch 40-50 baby lobster (Shorties) a night. Seriously. I'm not joking. I always tell my "8 in one pull" story every year - there was one night where we caught 8 lobster in 1 net...4 of them were legal, and 4 were shorties. Once, we threw our nets in the water, and because of a tangle, we were forced to pull it up 15 minutes later...well, we were shocked because all of our bait looked like mush! Lobster had chewed through the net and eaten all the bait, and there were only skin scraps and mush left - we knew it was lobster because one big one was stuck on the outside of the net when we pulled it up! And this was in 15 minutes. Moral of the story: Attending to 5 nets in 30 minute intervals will keep you very, very busy all night. Keep it simple - 2 is good.

-Realistically, there is room for 8 nets total on the cliff where I'm setting up shop, and I'm taking 2 of those spots, and some other folks I invited are taking up 4 more. Then, there's another 8 spots on the adjacent cliff and another 8 spots on the cliff just south. Finally, there's room for about 10 more spots on the far south cliff. These are all walking distance from the parking lot, but we'll definitely be split into different groups. That's a total of 28 spots left. Get there early to reserve your spot. I can't reserve your spot for you, as I won't have the capacity to babysit spots, run a BBQ, bait nets, tie lines, demonstrate throwing/pulling, etc, plus it's public land so anyone who's not with our group can pretty much just claim any spot they wanted if our nets aren't there occupying the space... I've had some problems there in the past with "spot-poachers"...

ar15robert
09-25-2008, 7:15 PM
going diving for tham in laguna this weekend.have a good spot that produces often.Also had to replace a light bulb on my HID dive light it accidently dropped out of my truck and i knew it was going to be at least a 100 bucks.

After calling everyshop in OC i found one shop who had one left 130 bucks later light is ready and i wont dive with any other light this one doesnt seem to spook the bugs and IMO led lights are overated.

hooookup
09-25-2008, 8:05 PM
Hey guys,

-RE: 2 nets per person.

Legally, you're allowed to have 5 nets per person when fishing off of the shore. 2 nets per person on OB Pier is a pier rule I think, not a state rule.

You are 100% wrong on this one mate. It's 2 hoop nets per person when fishing from piers, jetties or other shore based structures.
Read this very carefully.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/lobsterbrochure.pdf

The DFG are very very strict when it comes to enforcing the rules regarding California Spiny Lobsters. I have friends who have been busted for lobster that were 1/16" under the 3 1/4" allowed.
Also, the promar guages are notorious for being inaccurate. Measure your gauge with micrometers and verify that it's in compliance with the state minimum of 3 1/4". The DFG will not be lenient when it comes to this and it's up to YOU to verify that your gauge is legal.

Another word of advice when it comes to big females.... Let em go. A 5lb female can produce 6 times the amount of eggs as a 3lb female. A 10lb female can produce a whopping 100 times as many eggs as a 2-3lb'er. Males, kill em all big or small. Personally, I try not to keep any bugs over 5-6lbs. Come the end of the season when the females have the sperm sacs on the bottom of the carapace, I will let em go. A little conservation goes a long ways.

ar15robert
09-25-2008, 8:28 PM
Got to make sure the guage is correct i mine is right at 3.25 but i filed a tad to make it a hair bigger to be safe.

Had one that the gauge barely hit the corner of the carpace(as in baaarrreeely legal.And dfg came by after i got out of water i was very cooperative with him and he said all was good with that bug but a bad attitude i am sure he could have pushed his gauge down harder and make it a short bug it was that close.And yes that has happened to some people too where the gauge has been pushed down hard and tickets written.

viras
09-25-2008, 8:36 PM
You are 100% wrong on this one mate. It's 2 hoop nets per person when fishing from piers, jetties or other shore based structures.
Read this very carefully.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/lobsterbrochure.pdf

What about this?

Page 55 of the 2008 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Handbook (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf)

How come the official Reg's book doesn't mention the "2 hoop nets per person when fishing from piers, jetties or other shore based structures."

29.80. Gear Restrictions.
(a) General Provisions:
(1) Sal****er crustaceans may be taken by hand.
(2) Nets, traps or other appliances may not be used except as provided in this Section.
(3) It is unlawful to disturb, move, or damage any trap, or remove any sal****er crustacean
from a trap, that belongs to another person without written permission in possession from the
owner of the trap.
(b) Baited hoop nets may be used to take spiny lobsters and all species of crabs. Between Point Arguello, Santa Barbara County, and the United States-Mexico border, not more than five
baited hoop nets may be fished by a person to take spiny lobster and crab, not to exceed a total
of 10 baited hoop nets fished from any vessel.

EDIT: You're right! The lobsterbrochure.pdf is an official supplement to the 2008 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Handbook that was released on 8/1/08.

viras
09-25-2008, 8:39 PM
Hey guys, if any of you wanna bring extra nets, I know some other fellow calgunner's who would love to use them for the night. Moonclip is buying a report card and a gauge, and said that he would cast any spare nets anyone has and throw them on the BBQ. Anyone interested, just bring some extra nets with you. :)

daves100
09-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey Guys,
down to about 50 / 50 chance i can make it.....

Also anyone know if the lobster make it in the coronado bay

Moonclip
09-26-2008, 2:14 AM
Hey guys, if any of you wanna bring extra nets, I know some other fellow calgunner's who would love to use them for the night. Moonclip is buying a report card and a gauge, and said that he would cast any spare nets anyone has and throw them on the BBQ. Anyone interested, just bring some extra nets with you. :)

Yes please, we can have extra lobster that way, and I won't feel bad for wasting $7.90 and whatever the measuring device I find tomorrow costs me:)

I will bring a fishing pole as well for my friend that is not going to get the card that is coming.

Already bought some cat food too.

viras
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
OK guys, I'm about to leave work in 30 mins, go home, pick up my gear, and head out.

I'll see you guys out there!

wildcard
09-26-2008, 1:15 PM
Good luck out there guys! Wish I could have made it..

Moonclip
09-26-2008, 2:33 PM
I did get the report card and a measurer. Hopefully someone has an extra trap and can let me borrow it and show me the ropes!

Jicko
09-26-2008, 5:30 PM
Viras and I are here!

Come down!!!

We'll keep posting! I've got hi-speed inet here! :D

scorpucla
09-26-2008, 6:35 PM
Oh man, just saw this. I have a buddy that would go absolutely ape s**t over this. Very generous of you to invite the masses out for the opener. If you decide to do this next year, I'll try and make it.

Good luck!

Cobrarlc
09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Where are the pix from last nights pull?

Moonclip
09-27-2008, 1:57 PM
I had a good time even though we only got 1 legal lobster and some interesting bycatch like a moray eel!

It was a pleasure to me Viras, he is a gentleman and an accomplished fisherman:)

I'd like to go again eventually and I'd love to catch a leopard shark there, I know 10000 times more about guns than fishing so I need someone to show me the ropes.

Hopefully next time I go I don't see another parking lot incident in Pacific Beach though!:(

Moonclip
09-27-2008, 3:30 PM
You all still asleep? Post pics, lol! I went to bed at 7-8am, woke up around 1:20Pm. My friends were being punks, would not stay up to drink or hang out after you left, and the cops harassed them a little when I walked to get my car,long story.

Was going to go to dennys and buy some beer at 6am when we got to LA but they were tired I guess. No one knows how to party I guess.

I wanted to bring the lobster shell back to show their sisters but they said it smells up the car.

xYourLocalAR15x
09-28-2008, 2:46 AM
Didnt have my lap top with me while in san diego.. I'm back in Torrance now, but am SUPER trashed from octoberfest lol. I will post pics up tomorrow asap.

You all still asleep? Post pics, lol! I went to bed at 7-8am, woke up around 1:20Pm. My friends were being punks, would not stay up to drink or hang out after you left, and the cops harassed them a little when I walked to get my car,long story.

Was going to go to dennys and buy some beer at 6am when we got to LA but they were tired I guess. No one knows how to party I guess.

I wanted to bring the lobster shell back to show their sisters but they said it smells up the car.

viras
09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey guys - sorry it took so long to post, but I was dead to the world yesterday. It was fun fishing with you guys, even though the conditions turned against us.

Yes, we got skunked! Oh well, that's why they call it fishing and not catching. We only caught one legal all night. The shorties were abundant between 12-1:15AM, but after that, the waves started coming in from 2 different directions and flipping over our nets. We also caught a 2 foot Moray eel, and a bunch of rock crab which we threw back.

As usual, the divers killed it. The only report I could find about Lobstering was this one (http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/121495-yellow-fin-tuna-lobster.html), and these guys limited out... Next year, I'm going diving! I bet you if we got a little tiny inflatable or even a kayak, we could go out a couple of hundred feet from that spot beyond the breakers and catch dozens of em. They're out there there, as was proven by the abundance of the shorties we were catching for the first hour, but then the waves turned against us.

Anyhow, here's some pics. Again, it was awesome meeting and hanging out with fellow calgunners. The BBQ was awesome, and the spot was scenic at least.

Here's Jicko posting on calguns (Jicko, your steaks were excellent bro.):

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5158/dsc01964zu4.jpg

And some daytime shots of the spot:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3577/dsc01937lq7.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3990/dsc01939fh3.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2686/dsc01943wq9.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1885/dsc01944ka9.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4609/dsc01945tl3.jpg

viras
09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5526/dsc01946qr3.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7338/dsc01947ei6.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1512/dsc01949ys6.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/821/dsc01952jg9.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9526/dsc01962fb1.jpg

hooookup
09-28-2008, 1:48 PM
Sorry to hear you guys got the big skunk. My brother and I ended up with 10 legals to 4lbs last night. They started to crawl on the flush from 1-2am. Off the water by 6am.

glockman19
09-28-2008, 8:06 PM
I went to Malibu Pier. Used CostCo chicken for bait. Beginning @ Midnight to 2 am I caught 74 crabs no lobster. I didn't keep any crab eventhough 20 or so were keepers.

I'll be going to Paradise Cove Pier this week. finding a good location is the hard part.

shooten
09-28-2008, 8:45 PM
Hey Viras,

It was good to meet you. We'll have to hit that spot again on an incoming tide. I'll bet it's killer then. I was beat yesterday too but it was still a blast. Thanks for sharing your legal.

Scott

Moonclip
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Here's Jicko posting on calguns (Jicko, your steaks were excellent bro.):

[/IMG]

I missed them:( Got there too late, came all the way from LA, had someother issues as well before I got there, just ate chips and a hot link,next time I gotta be way better prepared for it.

zinfull
09-29-2008, 9:43 AM
Never though about bugging in the at area, did you at least jump from the cliff. Old memories from living in OB.

Jerry

viras
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey Guys,

UPDATE: I went back to the spot last night (9/30/08) at sunset and immediately tossed my nets out. Guess what? I caught 3 legals and about 50 shorties! It looks like they're out earlier right now since it's so hot... I got there around 6:15PM and left by 9PM. I've got plans for the rest of the week so I won't be going out again until sometime next week, but I just wanted to let you local guys know (in case you wanna have a go), they're out there!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1120/dsc01971kj6.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4819/dsc01975mn0.jpg