PDA

View Full Version : Double star Uppers, YOUR opinion? 1-10

WilliamAnderson
09-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Double Star Uppers. Tell me if they are good or not. Grade from scale 1-10
1 being the worst. 10 being the best. Opinons on their stuff in general would be good too.

Eagle87Tango
09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I didn't even know they made uppers. I'll have to look into this.

cal3gunner
09-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Which upper are you looking at?

I would rate a Double Star upper at a 7. Mine was a 16 inch carbine and did what it what a carbine is supposed to. It wasn't a 5 shot 1 hole wonder at 100 yards but would be more than neccessary for any real world two legged threats in a justifiable range. (if there is one).

If you are new to ARs get a Double Star because they work, the finish and quality of parts is good, and they are a great bang for the buck. Find an ammo it shoots well, buy a case or two of ammo...shoot it and then decide to trade it for what you want at the time or keep it and enjoy it.

Double Star and J & T distributing are one and the same. I bought a J & T kit for my stripped lower receiver. The kit/upper did everything as aspected and advertised. It didn't care for the cheap ammo but liked the Fed gold medal match 69s and Hornady 5.56 75s. I don't reload rifle yet and who can afford $1 a round when you can get decent American made $.30 a round. Right now the only part of that kit being used on/in my rifle is the lpk minus the trigger...I switched to a Timney. Everything else has been sold/traded/and replaced. The 16 inch heavy barrel was a great platform to learn about ARs but I decided to go with an 18 inch with rifle length gas system with JP adjustable gas block instead of spending the money in trying to squeeze out better accuracy and smoother recoil from my non free floated 16 with carbine length gas. Plus I like the little extra fps I get out of ammo from the 18" for longer range targets.

Top of the line uppers are like Ferraris...they look great, performace is outstanding and when you drive them you can rationalize why you spent that much. Double Star uppers are like Mustang/Camaros. You are going to get from A to B looking as good or better than a lot of other cars you see on the road, and you can still do burnouts and donuts all day long. For the driving/shooting most people do, the Double Star is a great way to get your foot in the door for some behind the wheel/trigger fun.

If you get tired of the Double Star, trade it in for something in the "Corvette" range, with the right driver/shooter the corvette can beat any ferrari being driven by an idiot.

The Gunslinger
09-19-2008, 7:58 AM
Well I have never tried any other so, I' not sure how it compares to other manufactures....But I love it !It has taken any ammo I feed it with no problem.Wolf, remington, federal, etc, you name it.I use it when I shoot in matches and althoughI have not yet come in 1st place(due to shooter error) it has performed flawlessly!I would have to rate it a 7.5-8 as I know there are numerous high end uppers out there, but for the price ...can't be beat! with open sights it dose great,throw a scope on it and it just gets better. Cheers!

Darklyte27
09-19-2008, 9:18 AM
i only got a DS lower but its a pretty awsome piece.

WilliamAnderson
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I was just wondering because vast majority of what my ar15 is built out of is double star. Everything minus my spikes lower. :-) Ive been happy with mine.

Infidel
09-19-2008, 1:07 PM
I have a double star lower on order and would also be interested in this. Is it a complete upper? Where are they selling them?

Thanks

AdamM
09-19-2008, 4:11 PM
I have a DS lower and so far so good. no complaints. Idk about their uppers though, never checked into them

Darklyte27
09-19-2008, 5:07 PM
I would be interested if they made a lefty model less than stags cost...

The Gunslinger
09-19-2008, 7:29 PM
I have a double star lower on order and would also be interested in this. Is it a complete upper? Where are they selling them?

Thanks

they go for about $416 ready to mount on your lower from centerfire systems.
at least they did when I got mine.

b25
09-19-2008, 8:48 PM
I just looked at the centerfire systems website and found the double-star uppers. The website indicates that the barrel is in .223 -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that it is not suggested to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 marked barrel --- the other way around (.223 out of a 5.56 marked barrel is ok).

Perhaps this is a downfall of the double-star uppers..... or not......

Standing by for feedback.

-b

Infidel
09-23-2008, 8:10 PM
I just looked at the centerfire systems website and found the double-star uppers. The website indicates that the barrel is in .223 -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that it is not suggested to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 marked barrel --- the other way around (.223 out of a 5.56 marked barrel is ok).

Perhaps this is a downfall of the double-star uppers..... or not......

Standing by for feedback.

-b

The thing that got me was that they sell a barrelled upper minus the BCG and Chargin handle WTF is up with that? Are these uppers worth buying just to have a matching rifle if you have to piece together the rest of your complete upper?