X-NewYawker
09-18-2008, 9:29 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4589.jpg
+
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/SpikeGPU.jpg
=
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Tim-n-Addax.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/timAddax.jpg
Definitely the softest kicking AR-GPU I've fired yet. Groups tomorrow.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/timmyadax.jpg
16 inch white Oak "long range" barrel
Thanks Chris and Raffi!

Vinz
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
great gun, waiting for grouping results.

Mine feels very smooth. That Bulldog works.

vinz

69Mach1
09-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Very nice.

nikonuser
09-19-2008, 6:42 AM
I will be getting a gas piston next year and this will be definitely be something to consider since I feel the LWRC is overpriced and I don't like the POF rail. If the SCAR becomes available I will jump on that first but ADDAX guns look great.

Sniper3142
09-19-2008, 7:02 AM
That is one very sweet looking rifle.

:)

marxdspot
09-19-2008, 7:13 AM
Just AWESOME!

BigBamBoo
09-19-2008, 7:16 AM

X-NewYawker
09-19-2008, 7:27 AM
Thanks. Really a big difference between this and first Addaxs I shot (which alos didn't kick at all)

Everyone who shot it came.

Addax
09-19-2008, 1:11 PM
The key to tuning our system to obtain that soft recoil is utilizing a very well machined and quality barrel, like we did on this upper.

This upper we built for X-NewYawker is:

Addax GPU Mid-Length Upper
16" White Oak Armament DMR Stainless (Bead Blasted) Barrel, 1/7 Twist, Wylde chamber, M4 Feed Ramps
White Oak Armament Bolt Carrier Group
Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM Lite Rail
PWS FSC 556 Comp
Forged M4 Flat Top Upper 7075-T w/M4 Feed Ramps

We are looking to build a similar 18" SPR model upper soon.

Richy
09-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Nice oakley ROKRs

SJgunguy24
09-19-2008, 1:18 PM
Whats the price difference of a gas vs a gas piston system. Is it worth the money? I don't have an OLL yet.

Addax
09-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Whats the price difference of a gas vs a gas piston system. Is it worth the money? I don't have an OLL yet.

The Standard Direct Impingement system found in the AR15, M4 and M16 rifles basically takes a portion of the gas from each round fired and directs this gas directly from the barrel through a gas tube and into the Bolt Carrier in the upper receiver which pushes the Bolt Carrier into action, so the Bolt Carrier acts as Gas Piston.

The Gas being pushed back into the upper receiver and bolt carrier is hot and contains some of the impurities and gun powder residue that does start to collect in the Upper Receiver and around the Bolt Carrier.

If you are shooting allot, the standard DI system requires either more maintenance to keep it clean or to keep the bolt carrier and upper receiver wet/lubricated to ensure functionality/reliability.

The Gas Piston System takes this operation away from the Upper Receiver and moves it to the front Gas Block which houses a Piston Tube and Piston which then pushes or strikes an operating rod that moves the Bolt Carrier into action.

The Gas Piston System therefore keeps the upper receiver and the bolt carrier and bolt cleaner and cooler, and it does not require as much maintenance as a DI upper does, and thus this enhances the level of reliability vs. a DI system.

There is an added cost to having a Gas Piston System, but this is offset by a level of enhanced reliability (and with our Addax Gas Piston Uppers) you don't sacrifice General AR Accuracy or Ergonomics by having a Gas Piston System.

SJgunguy24
09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
The Standard Direct Impingement system found in the AR15, M4 and M16 rifles basically takes a portion of the gas from each round fired and directs this gas directly from the barrel through a gas tube and into the Bolt Carrier in the upper receiver which pushes the Bolt Carrier into action, so the Bolt Carrier acts as Gas Piston.

The Gas being pushed back into the upper receiver and bolt carrier is hot and contains some of the impurities and gun powder residue that does start to collect in the Upper Receiver and around the Bolt Carrier.

If you are shooting allot, the standard DI system requires either more maintenance to keep it clean or to keep the bolt carrier and upper receiver wet/lubricated to ensure functionality/reliability.

The Gas Piston System takes this operation away from the Upper Receiver and moves it to the front Gas Block which houses a Piston Tube and Piston which then pushes or strikes an operating rod that moves the Bolt Carrier into action.

The Gas Piston System therefore keeps the upper receiver and the bolt carrier and bolt cleaner and cooler, and it does not require as much maintenance as a DI upper does, and thus this enhances the level of reliability vs. a DI system.

There is an added cost to having a Gas Piston System, but this is offset by a level of enhanced reliability (and with our Addax Gas Piston Uppers) you don't sacrifice General AR Accuracy or Ergonomics by having a Gas Piston System.

I understand how the AR weapon system works. I'm checking around and reaserching my options. I have AK's but I still need to obtain a "Kitten slaying,Puppy killing Evil Black AR style Rifle." I just wanted to know why the uppers are so expensive. I don't skimp when I buy tools,but the cost needs to be justified. Thank you for the info. Do you sell pistol uppers?

Addax
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I understand how the AR weapon system works. I'm checking around and reaserching my options. I have AK's but I still need to obtain a "Kitten slaying,Puppy killing Evil Black AR style Rifle." I just wanted to know why the uppers are so expensive. I don't skimp when I buy tools,but the cost needs to be justified. Thank you for the info. Do you sell pistol uppers?

We are currently working on this.

We have built a couple for testing purposes and we are going to conduct some full auto testing soon.

Here are some pics. The shortest barrel length we plan on building is 10.5"

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_9807.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_9809.jpg

trinydex
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
anyone care to speculate if pistons will ever become "regular fare." price drop to normal ar prices?

nobs11
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
anyone care to speculate if pistons will ever become "regular fare." price drop to normal ar prices?

No. No real problem with direct impingement if you take care of it. Also, personally, I have not seen a gas system perform sub MOA. But I don't want to open that can of worms. Hope I did not already. Having choices is good. Buy whatever makes you happy.

Addax
09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
No. No real problem with direct impingement if you take care of it. Also, personally, I have not seen a gas system perform sub MOA. But I don't want to open that can of worms. Hope I did not already. Having choices is good. Buy whatever makes you happy.

Exactly. Having Choices is good, and we look at our Addax Gas Piston Uppers, as an option for the AR15 owner, not as a AR15 Fix or any B/S like that.

Keep in mind that Gas Piston systems are really geared towards those who shoot allot, and want a level of reliability and functionality without having to constantly maintain and clean/lubricate their rifles or uppers.

The Gas Piston System does not require allot of maintenance or lengthy cleaning, and since it employs a different method of operation it is not prone to the issues that sometimes does plague the AR's DI system, especially for those who shoot allot.

Eventually the Military is going in that direction. Some sort of a Gas Piston Driven rifle will start to replace the current M4 and M16 rifles in the near future. Maybe over the course of the next 7-10 years?

Btw, I have seen tricked out DI AR15's shoot consistent Sub MOA shots.

69Mach1
09-19-2008, 11:32 PM
We are currently working on this.

We have built a couple for testing purposes and we are going to conduct some full auto testing soon.

Here are some pics. The shortest barrel length we plan on building is 10.5"

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_9807.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_9809.jpg

When you're ready to test that pistol upper, you can use my lower anytime.

Addax
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
When you're ready to test that pistol upper, you can use my lower anytime.

I will be calling you in about 1 week then.:43:

I am taking at least 1 of them up to Idaho for some full auto testing too.

I need to get cracking and pick up a couple of AR pistol lowers...

nobs11
09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Btw, I have seen tricked out DI AR15's shoot consistent Sub MOA shots.

Sorry, I meant gas piston not DI. I've seen Larue and some Noveske uppers consistently shoot sub MOA.

RRA varminter uppers will do it all day.

aplinker
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
a 10.5" carbine is perfect for a GP.

The rest - not necessary. How often do you shoot hundreds-thousands of rounds without lubing or cleaning? That's where a GP STARTS to make a difference. Real benefits don't really come in until you shoot FA, thousands of rounds, without stopping.

Unless you really are a SOF and run a carbine, stick to DI. For the $ difference, you'd be better off upgrading the barrel and getting as much of the QC package as you can in the carrier.

Options are nice, choose what you think will make the biggest difference to your shooting.

Addax
09-20-2008, 1:56 PM
Many Shooters who go to the range and plink at targets, shoot a 100 rounds then go home do not need a Gas Piston Upper.

Many Shooters who go shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds in the field, at the range, training etc. are the types of shooters who know and appreciate a Gas Piston Upper vs. a DI Upper.

Rifle, Mid-Length, Carbine or SBR, it does not matter, the bottom line is, there is a place and a need for reliable Gas Piston Systems for the AR15, and the demand is growing leaps and bounds.

We just received our first large order from a LE Dept. back on the East Coast for new Addax GPU's and to retrofit some of their Colt M4 uppers because they are sick and tired of DI guns jamming on them allot in training, and during shooting qualifications.

I agree, that not everyone has to have a Gas Piston Upper, but there is a grownig segment of the AR15 owners who shoot their AR's allot, that see the Gas Piston Upper as a great option to have for their AR15.

We all like options and we like to own different types of firearms, and buying and owning a Gas Piston Upper is no different, it is a vialble option for the AR15 owner who needs or wants one, no matter if they are in the Military, Special Forces, Law Enforcement or a Civilian..

trinydex
09-20-2008, 2:16 PM
10.5 pistol gpu upper... let's put a smiiile on that face.

Addax
09-20-2008, 3:01 PM
10.5 pistol gpu upper... let's put a smiiile on that face.

Sounds good to me :D

How about a side charging handle 10.5 GPU Upper?

Here is a 16" GPU Carbine with the Side Charging Handle Upper Receiver.

Imagine it 10.5":43:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_0042.jpg

trinydex
09-20-2008, 3:04 PM
oh what.... now you're just messin' with me. my heart is fragile. :innocent:

jandmtv
09-20-2008, 3:13 PM
oh what.... now you're just messin' with me. my heart is fragile. :innocent:

Then never go to his shop (without your wallet and a nurse :D)

trinydex
09-20-2008, 3:18 PM
maybe i should leave the wallet and bring the nurse... this sounds like i might get some horrible diseases like brd, erd (expensive rifle disease), epd (expensive pistol disease)...

Addax
09-20-2008, 3:56 PM
maybe i should leave the wallet and bring the nurse... this sounds like i might get some horrible diseases like brd, erd (expensive rifle disease), epd (expensive pistol disease)...

Just bring the nurse as long as she is cute...;)

Glock30
09-20-2008, 3:59 PM
Just bring the nurse as long as she is cute...;)

Maybe I'll swing by the shop more often if you have cute nurses walking around.

Addax
09-20-2008, 4:05 PM
Maybe I'll swing by the shop more often if you have cute nurses walking around.

Ah hell, now I am going to have hire a really cute full time nurse...:43:

Glock30
09-20-2008, 4:12 PM
Ah hell, now I am going to have hire a really cute full time nurse...:43:

lol, if that's the case I'd probably just come work for you then. :p

trinydex
09-20-2008, 4:35 PM
http://www.t-lay.com/images/hello_nurse.jpg