View Full Version : So, what does it take to build/buy a cali legal AK??

09-18-2008, 9:12 PM
Does someone wanna help me get educated on California legal AKs? Wasr-10's look really cool but I heard that you can't get em wilth pistol grips. This is super confusing.. I know about mag locks. I recently bought and built my first AR15 and love it. Please help me! I got my eye set on making or buyin myself an ak!

EBR Works
09-18-2008, 9:17 PM
If you want to buy a complete rifle, Chris at LanWorld will set you up with a Cali legal configured AK variant:

He can also just remove the PG for you and ship it to your FFL. Then you can reinstall it along with other evil features as long as you install one of the available mag locks for the AK first. You are restricted to a 10 round mag with this configuration. See here:

09-18-2008, 9:18 PM
Can you have pisol grips?

09-18-2008, 9:20 PM
Same theory applies to all OLL - Go shopping.

09-18-2008, 9:22 PM
With a WASR, there are two main sets of laws you want to be aware of. One is CA (the assault weapon laws), the other is federal [922(r) - more on it shortly]. Both are about configuration (i.e. parts).

For the AW laws, you basically have two options with an AK:

(1) Featureless build with detachable magazine (details in a sec)
(2) Mag-lock build where features are okay

For (1), you cannot have features such as a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, flash suppressor, etc. (Refer to the CA AW ID Flowchart in the upper right hand of the forum for more details on this in particular and the essentials of CA AW law in general). You can have a detachable magazine.

The 10rd limit still applies (different law, generally speaking, you cannot get new hi-capacity mags if you didn't own them preban). However, you can get converted 30rd mag bodies that only hold 10rds (called 10/30s) if looks matter.

09-18-2008, 9:24 PM
For (2), you need a mag lock that makes it nondetachable without use of a tool. Features such as pistol grips, etc. are okay.

922(r), the federal law, only applies if you change the configuration of your AK from the way it was imported.

So if you get a mag-locked WASR-10 (pistol grip okay), 922(r) doesn't apply.

Hope this helps

09-18-2008, 9:25 PM

09-18-2008, 9:28 PM
Your in Fresno, Contact FEDUPWBS! Best AK guy in Fresno!

09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I did we'll see what he has to say. I really want to get an ak that uses 5.45x39 rounds. Seems cheaper than 7.62 and out performs it. I already have a nice Russian Sks and always wanted an an ak of my own.

09-19-2008, 12:26 PM
If that's the case then you're looking for an AK74 type firearm.
Welcome aboard!

09-19-2008, 1:53 PM
If you want to buid your own, you will be doing at least 3-4 weeks of research on the laws involved (922r) and California laws. All you need to know about the California laws are on this forum.

Then you will be looking at buying the tools you need to build one, parts kits, receiver or Flat, compliance parts, finishing etc. and the 'How too'. There is a ton of info out there on how to. If you want, there is 'theAKforum' that has a lot of how to info and links to it.

09-19-2008, 2:12 PM
And I've just gotten into the AK building scene so I have that new-to-AK lingo and can easily explain this stuff to a noob. gimme a call and I can explain the 922(r) and CA laws.