View Full Version : New Noveske Upper wiggles a little on CMMG Lower?

09-18-2008, 8:32 PM
Just got a new upper 16" Noveske Lo-Pro Recce. Put it on my CMMG Lower and it seems to wiggle a little. You can tell it moves when you pick it up. Is this because of the CMMG lower? I previously had a 16" CMMG Mid-Length and it was very tight, no wiggle at all. The takedown pins also seem to move in and out very easily with almost no effort.

What should I do? Get a Noveske lower or put in an accuwedge thing? Will this affect accuracy at all? My previous build was very accurate... This one seems to shoot a little to the left. Maybe it's just me. But most of the wiggle is in the front takedown pin on the left side!

Here's some before and after pics because I know you guys love pics. Crappy quality because my real camera died.

Previous build target: 100 yds Today's from the new build is not good enough to show anybody!

09-18-2008, 8:45 PM
i don't know about the wiggle thing.... but after definately looks better!!

I would just get a noveske lower to match the upper, but that's just me.

Young Version
09-18-2008, 8:46 PM
The general consensus is that it doesn't affect accuracy.

09-18-2008, 8:58 PM
An accuwedge will probably tighten it up a bit, but I don't think it is going to help you out with the accuracy issue. I would say take a little more time when pulling the trigger. Not trying to be mean, but those rounds are all over the place.

09-18-2008, 9:25 PM
Accuwedge will make the gun -- and you -- FEEL better

09-18-2008, 9:34 PM
You didn't say what ammo are you using.

09-18-2008, 9:39 PM
The rifle is not the thing making your groups going to the left:

IT'S YOU!!!!!

You need to control your breathing more and definitely give it a bit more finger: MORE FINGER BANG! Your pushing the trigger and causing your groups to go left. I'm not sure if this was your first time shooting with the SOPMOD but that could be your problem. The SOPMOD is about 1" longer than the regular M4 stock changes your LOP. So if you had it in the exact same position on the buffer tube you have effectively lengthen your LOP and causing your finger to not be in the optimum location (the way you originally train to shoot.) The grip is also different so if that's new to you it will also effect your groups quite a bit. If it's the first time you have used the two together than it will definitely make you shoot a bit wacky. So if that's the case, put that SOPMOD in a notch, if not, be mindful of where you put your finger.

And do not buy that stupid Accu-Wedge, all it does is put stress on areas where it is not needed. Do what every smart person in the history have ever done, put a small O-ring or rubber band around the front lug and it'll be tighter than you could ever want.

09-18-2008, 9:49 PM
There's really no reason to worry about a little wiggle btwn upper & lower on an AR, at least for ordinary mortals not shooting match rifles w/match ammo at long distances. On an AR the upper does all the work anyway.

Some upper/lower combos fit more tightly than others. Strangely my Colt factory rifle was looser than my various mixmaster combos of uppers/lowers.

09-18-2008, 9:54 PM
A =rattling combat rifle is expected.
It's part of the design. Lets gas and debris blow out the gap between the upper and lower onto your arms and face.

09-18-2008, 9:58 PM
It's called an AR15. If it didn't wiggle, it wouldn't be an AR :)

But if you're paranoid, buy an acuwedge.

09-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I didnt like my accuwedge, one, it didnt fit, and two, a foam ear plug works better.

09-19-2008, 4:49 AM
Until you literally match the upper and lower together, you never know what is going to fit to your liking and what isn't. You could get a Noveske and have the same issue.

09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah I guess I'm just paranoid. I will put the stock in a little bit. The rifle is also different so I need to get readjusted. Another problem was I was using very small targets, hard to find a good POA. On the previous target I shot for the orange, those are the top shots out of the black, then I just readjusted at the bottom of the black circle. This is at 100 yards with no magnification and my eyes aren't the best. Targets are shaded and a little hard to see with the sun behind them.

09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I bought my first AR-15 (my first centerfire rifle) in 1979. It rattled. It shot fine. Just got spikes upper and lower - together, they rattle.

Chris from Addax shaved down an accuwedge until it fit in there VERY snug. Gun feels like one piece, so that's nice -- but don't know if it actually helps functioning/accuracy

09-19-2008, 1:04 PM
You might find using a 6 o'clock hold makes it easier to have a consistent point of aim everytime especially when trying to use iron sights at long distances where the front post completely covers the black.