PDA

View Full Version : Higher Quality 7.62 x 39 Ammo

fltingck
09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Two Parter:

Any recomendations for FACTORY 7.62 x 39 that out-performs Wolf or Barnaul? There is a lot of brass cased stuff out there but I have never shot it...

Also, which HP round would you choose for home defense? I know Wolf makes a 154g load now...

samuelkowal906
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Local gun store here just got some Cor-bon DPX 7.62x39mm in. It's really expensive, but i think it is about as good as you will get with 'x39, or I hope so atleast, judging from the price ;) . Bought a couple of boxes, and I'm gonna try it in my Mini-30 in a few days.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=259369&t=11082005

motorhead
09-18-2008, 12:19 PM
yugo brass cased is supposed to be some of the best and priced accordingly. i think samco was the importer. it's all over now. HP ammo has questionable value in X39. some guns don't feed it well.
BTW-commercial ammo is not recommended. soft primers have occaisionally caused slamfires.

kp94ss
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Lapua. Harder to find and expensive, but worth it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=481507

moulton
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
yugo brass cased is supposed to be some of the best and priced accordingly. i think samco was the importer. it's all over now. HP ammo has questionable value in X39. some guns don't feed it well.
BTW-commercial ammo is not recommended. soft primers have occaisionally caused slamfires.

Yugo ammo may be brass cased and accurate but it is corrosive.....ask me how I know :mad:

Digital_Hate
09-18-2008, 1:10 PM
ive only tried wolf, fiochi, WinchesterWB, barnaul and remington in my mini-30, siaga, and wasr. the fiochi is the cleanest and most accurate. i wouldnt say its high end but damn good for cheap stuff. i dont think there will ever be a high end(good) 7.62 x 39 due to most people shooting that round are using ak's or ak clones. and they love to put the dirties cheapest stuff in them so it can live up to its reputation of taking anything and still working.

AJD
09-18-2008, 1:49 PM
Every rifle will be different, but I have found the best accuracy with Fed American Eagle and Yugo surplus.

For home defense I would recommend the Winchester 7.62x39 soft point. Dr. Roberts has done ballistic testing on this round and posted the results on the tacticalforums website. It has good penetration and expands consistently. It would also make a good round for hunting small to medium sized deer.