PDA

View Full Version : Worst chow hall?

PatriotnMore
09-18-2008, 9:57 AM
Timberwolf started a good idea. My worst experience was a buddies ship, can't remember the name but it was an LST. Food was horrible, and the guys on ship actually thought it was decent, LOL.

MrSlippyFist
09-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Fob Mchenry, Al Haweja. I don't remember the terminology, but it's the frozen rations that get reheated by the army nerd-cooks. I lost a lot of weight working around Al Haweja thanks to that chow hall.

PatriotnMore
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Fob Mchenry, Al Haweja. I don't remember the terminology, but it's the frozen rations that get reheated by the army nerd-cooks. I lost a lot of weight working around Al Haweja thanks to that chow hall.

I just call all bad food "Haggis", as in the stuffed intestine Scottish dish.:D

apbrian112
09-18-2008, 10:25 AM
we were playing OPFOR for 1st and 2nd bde 4th ID down in Hood and they had us eating at this "chow hall" that was seriously the worst crap ever. i'd gladly eat MRE's over that crap... especially the cold weather MRE's... take longer to prepare but good stuff nonetheless.

Cardinal Sin
09-18-2008, 5:16 PM
USS Antietam CG-54. The food got so bad on deployment that the Captain ordered an immediate menu review and started eating with the crew to insure that the enlisted weren't getting screwed over. Foreign nationals and other sailors that were attached to or just ate on board the ship during MIO in the Gulf even commented how bad the food was. Lets just say that we all learned many different ways to eat PB&J. I don't think I've had a PB&J sandwich since that deployment, lol. By the way, roast beef isn't supposed to have a green tinge to it right?, (no joke I have a picture somewhere).

Wolfpack331
09-18-2008, 6:57 PM
Camp Roberts

goathead
09-18-2008, 7:25 PM
all of them

Cardinal Sin
09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Camp Roberts

Naw man. The food isn't nearly as bad as the water . . . I swear the local YMCA has less chlorine in the pool than Camp Roberts puts in the water:eek: Bleaches your teeth in a couple of days:D

desertram800
09-19-2008, 3:24 AM
Camp McGregor, NM. That DFAC was closed for a loooong time until the Army stuck us sailors way out there by the prison...

Moonclip
09-19-2008, 4:41 AM
Most ships, though I hear that food on submarines is quite good.

chris
09-19-2008, 5:24 AM
mess hall at our field embassy in Al-hillah Iraq. got food poisening there. threw up outside the gate at my FOB. jumped out tossed off my IBA and hurled. that was fun.

ch47gunner
09-19-2008, 7:59 AM
Fort Ord, California.
Basic Training Unit H-4-2, I would have rather eaten C's.

Bruce

Soldier415
09-19-2008, 8:51 AM
Camp Roberts. Hands down.

If you fed that food to a dog, he would most likely take one bite then lick his butt for a half an hour just to get the taste out of his mouth.

Not to mention the place is run by a cross-eyed gremlin and a very large he-she...

gwl
09-19-2008, 9:32 AM
Not counting T-Rats out in the field or deployment, I would have to give it up for the Camp Roberts chow hall.

joodaman
09-19-2008, 1:35 PM
bad chow halls????

marines didnt have the luxury of a good chow hall :)

Bill_in_SD
09-23-2008, 9:50 AM
USS Independence CV62

Got food poisoning on deployment and lived on PB&J for 3 months.....

Cardinal Sin
09-23-2008, 10:05 AM
USS Independence CV62

Got food poisoning on deployment and lived on PB&J for 3 months.....

:rofl2: PB&J Ahh yes . . memories . . . of a WestPac :p

JimAmentler
09-23-2008, 1:27 PM
Walid. I'd rather eat at the IBP station.

JimAmentler
09-23-2008, 1:32 PM
Walid. Or worse yet, any of the border forts! I'd rather eat at the IBP station.

mattman
09-23-2008, 4:54 PM
That dump they call a DFAC at Camp Roberts.

striker3
09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't know, Haditha Dam is pretty bad. Most likely it was because I was only there when my task force pulled in for thier monthly maintenance stand down and the place was overloaded. Food sucked and there was not much of it. I learned really quick to get to chow early...they tended to run out of of stuff really quick.

Moonclip
09-24-2008, 4:31 PM
I remeber during power outages on a USN ship underway being fed just a bag of potato chips and a cold sandwich like baloney on white bread.

larryb
09-24-2008, 4:35 PM
Yep i have to agree, Camp Roberts was pretty bad.....bluk

chris
09-24-2008, 5:21 PM
Yep i have to agree, Camp Roberts was pretty bad.....bluk

yep the food there sucks bad!

v88dx
12-31-2008, 2:40 PM
CAMP ROBERTS!!!

Cardinal Sin
12-31-2008, 2:45 PM
LOL, I have to laugh at the fact that any person who has eaten at Camp Roberts has gone away asking WTF was that stuff they are trying to pass off as chow? I know I have. The frigging crickets out in the field, (bivouac) taste better than what the cooks put out. There should be a poll added to this thread. Camp Roberts would probably lead. On a seperate thought, maybe they are using the kit fox as a meat substitute there. Yeah, they are/were protected but you never know, lol

JMB1911
01-02-2009, 9:03 PM
When I was in the Air Force I had to undergo Air Base Ground Defense training at Fort Dix in New Jersey. That was my first experience with military chow outside an AF Base. Talk about slop! Green eggs and ham that had the consistency of thick soup. From then on I understood why Army, Navy, and Marine Corp guys hung out at our AF chow halls as much as they did when they came to visit.

BB63Squid
01-03-2009, 8:59 PM
I remeber during power outages on a USN ship underway being fed just a bag of potato chips and a cold sandwich like baloney on white bread.

WTF? I remember dropping 400Hz every time we shot the 16" guns but never dropping the whole load.

What sail boat did that happen on?

JerryM
01-23-2009, 3:17 AM
LOL :no:

And I thought I was going to be an "original" and mention Camp Roberts, but you all beat me to it.

That "mess hall" is just something out of the Twilight Zone.

The people that work there are semi-zombies. And I am seriously thinking that somebody there is making money by feeding us pseudo food and billing for real food.

I mean, how can somebody screw the pooch so bad with something so simple as food.

Any CAL GUARD senior leadership in these forums reading this do us all a favor and audit that rat hole of a mess hall.

Cheers!!!

stphnman20
01-23-2009, 3:37 AM
Camp Coyote!!

Dont know if the camp is still there but the first Marine who got to Kuwait built it for the rest of the Corps to get there before the 03 invasion! It was in a GP tent!! Didn't have anything in that camp.. No PX, No showers, No running water, nothing!! But we didn't manage to build a track to run on of course!

mattman
01-24-2009, 6:14 PM
I second Camp Roberts. I little old E-5 with the HUGE glasses can't even see the size of the portions he is dishing out.

The Soup Nazi
01-25-2009, 1:54 PM
all of them

This.

DirtSailor
01-25-2009, 2:18 PM
Timberwolf started a good idea. My worst experience was a buddies ship, can't remember the name but it was an LST. Food was horrible, and the guys on ship actually thought it was decent, LOL.

You mean to tell me that it was better than what you were eating in the field? I've been stationed on 3 ships and the food is never great, but it beats MREs.

Cardinal Sin
01-25-2009, 2:27 PM
WTF? I remember dropping 400Hz every time we shot the 16" guns but never dropping the whole load.

What sail boat did that happen on?

LOL. Had all 3 GTG's drop load and then Surge on power up and cause a few million $$$ in damage to electronics. Good times:p Had cold cut open face sandwiches that day. . . on that note, WTF is it with an open face sandwich? Honestly, everyone asked for the other slice to finish the sandwich. Pretty half-assed on the MS's (now CS's) if you ask me. Worst food ever still goes to Camp Roberts. I have had bad but Kitfox country takes the cake.

DirtSailor
01-25-2009, 2:28 PM
I don't know any ships that have consistently "good" food. Every once in a while we get a treat like griddle-fried steaks and over-boiled lobster. I always keep a supply of microwavable food in the bottom drawer of my locker whenever I deploy and ration it out to only the worst meals.

Decoligny
01-25-2009, 5:57 PM
Worst Chow (not a chow hall) I ever heard of was from one of the WWII members of my Squadron at a reunion. He was on a B-17 and open up a C-Ration. He opened the canned meat and it was a dried up black brick. He opened the cheese and it looked like melted plastic. He then looked on the bottom of the C-Ration box and it read "1918" and this was in 1942. :puke:

Bicuspid76
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I second Camp Roberts. I little old E-5 with the HUGE glasses can't even see the size of the portions he is dishing out.

Is that Shultz?

Another vote for Camp Roberts DFAC. Those civilian contractors they brought in for the pre-mob in July were pretty iffy. They finally got better toward the end. :pinch:

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Camp Doha, Kuwait was the worst I have ever had. It probably was mostly from the horrid natural smell from that city.

JerryM
01-26-2009, 4:51 PM
Is that Shultz?

LOL, I think you got it!!!

chris
01-26-2009, 5:08 PM
Is that Shultz?

Another vote for Camp Roberts DFAC. Those civilian contractors they brought in for the pre-mob in July were pretty iffy. They finally got better toward the end. :pinch:

oh yeah Camp Roberts chow hall is pretty sad. going there next month for range fire.

JerryM
01-26-2009, 8:23 PM
oh yeah Camp Roberts chow hall is pretty sad. going there next month for range fire.

LOL, I am guessing you will be buying some pogey bait then...

SgtDinosaur
01-27-2009, 9:27 AM
The chow hall at Plattsburg AFB got shut down by the IG in 1975 because of cockroaches and other disgusting conditions. While it was shut they served us K rations (this was before MRE's).

mattman
02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Is that Shultz?

YEAH THATS THE GUY! Good call. Bet he doesn't know he is so famous.