PDA

View Full Version : AK bolt hold open for range

TZL
09-18-2008, 9:50 AM
Hey CG,

What do you guys use to hold the bolt open for the range on your AK's?

I don't have the slotted safety lever, and you have to have the mags out, so I was wondering what you all use during cease-fire to hold the bolt open and mag out?

thanks in advance.

TZL

Vepr62
09-18-2008, 9:53 AM
I used to use spent cartridgr stucked between bolt and chamber, but now my range requires yellow emty chamber indicator flags.
V.

bohoki
09-18-2008, 10:09 AM
on just about all but greasyest ak i can find a little point at where the hammer will hold the bolt back its kind of like finding the place on a dogs tummy where you get their back leg to start kicking

sbaker17
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
On mine, there is a point mid-way that catches, and holds until I pull it all the way back and release. try to find that spot, i can post a picture of the position on mine if you would like, would have to be later today, it's the Mrs.'s b-day.

Flat Broke
09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Just grind your safety lever/selector to act as a catch. If you're worried about keeping the part orriginal, there are pre-made ones available on the web. Just swap in the notched part and keep the orriginal for whatever collector oriented concerns you may have.

Chris

SJgunguy24
09-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Bring an old high lighter pen,it doesn't have to work. Pull the bolt back a bit and too it in. I'm cheap,the shell work too but could slide in.

TZL
09-18-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah I might just take a Dremel to my safety lever, seems easier that way

Just grind your safety lever/selector to act as a catch. If you're worried about keeping the part orriginal, there are pre-made ones available on the web. Just swap in the notched part and keep the orriginal for whatever collector oriented concerns you may have.

Chris

bigthaiboy
09-18-2008, 1:29 PM
I also did that same thing with my safety selector. I Dremelled out a notch to hold the bolt cocking handle back in the open position. Looks similar to the ENHANCED AK SELECTOR LEVERS sold by Krebs, but without the extra rivetted handle. Works a treat. After the line is hot again, just insert loaded magazine. Drop the selector. A round is chambered, and you're ready to rock 'n' roll again.
http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

Harbinger
09-18-2008, 1:37 PM
on just about all but greasyest ak i can find a little point at where the hammer will hold the bolt back its kind of like finding the place on a dogs tummy where you get their back leg to start kicking

LOL... it sounds like the AKs you've shot haven't seen much action! All of mine did that for the first 100 rounds. Now, they won't catch no matter how slow I work the action.

My first AK had feed troubles because of the sticking. I had to grind the back of the hammer a bit to remove some of the friction.

Like Flat Broke said: notch the safety lever if you MUST have a BHO. Otherwise, use a flag.

Mike

Toten Kopf
09-18-2008, 2:27 PM
I used to use a spent shell casing, but now I use either the "yellow" chamber indicator from the NRA or the "orange" chamber indicator the is passed out free at the Appleseed shoots.