PDA

View Full Version : Newbie OLL Question

slaaw
09-17-2008, 8:49 PM
I've just transitioned from the bolt action world so I'm new to ARs. I just purchased a Cal legal Bushmaster Carbon-15 (w/sealed mag opening) and am considering converting with a BB and 10-round mag. My question is whether any OLL will work with the rest of my gun (upper and stock), and whether I should also buy a LPK for it or just transfer the lower parts from the Bushmaster? Thanks

DedEye
09-17-2008, 8:52 PM
I've just transitioned from the bolt action world so I'm new to ARs. I just purchased a Cal legal Bushmaster Carbon-15 (w/sealed mag opening) and am considering converting with a BB and 10-round mag. My question is whether any OLL will work with the rest of my gun (upper and stock), and whether I should also buy a LPK for it or just transfer the lower parts from the Bushmaster? Thanks

Welcome to Calguns! No need to swap out your LPK, and yes basically any .223 upper (and most other calibers with some limitations) will fit just fine on your lower.

Stocks will also fit on your lower just as they would on any other lower.

Vinz
09-17-2008, 9:32 PM
To be honest with you, I would look into selling the no mag well Carbon that you have and start off with a new build. Since you would have to DROS the replacement OLL anyways. You will end up with 2 rifles.

You might still be able to recoup some of which you had spent on it.

vinz

X-NewYawker
09-17-2008, 9:34 PM
To be honest with you, I would look into selling the no mag well Carbon that you have and start off with a new build. Since you would have to register the replacement OLL anyways.

You might still be able to recoup some of which you had spent on it.

vinz

+1 on starting fresh. Then you can build EXACTLY what you want -- as long as you are compliant...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4590.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/SpikeGPU.jpg

nobs11
09-17-2008, 9:42 PM
Since you would have to register the replacement OLL anyways.

You mean DROS. Long guns have no registration.

I'd try to sell the Bushmaster sealed mag as well. Do note that you might take a significant financial hit if you decide to do so. No one really wants one since we can have an OLL.

Vinz
09-17-2008, 9:44 PM
yes, sorry....correct.

thank you.

vinz

nobs11
09-17-2008, 9:50 PM
yes, sorry....correct.

thank you.

vinz

No problem. Thanks.

I almost purchased a Bushmaster sealed mag after the ban, but decided against it. The local shops in my area still tell people that that is the only legal way since all "AR series" rifles are banned.

DedEye
09-17-2008, 9:57 PM
You mean DROS. Long guns have no registration.

I'd try to sell the Bushmaster sealed mag as well. Do note that you might take a significant financial hit if you decide to do so. No one really wants one since we can have an OLL.

Why bother selling the Bushmaster? Dremel open the damn magwell and install a bullet button and you've got an AR just as good as any other OLL.

X-NewYawker
09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Why bother selling the Bushmaster? Dremel open the damn magwell and install a bullet button and you've got an AR just as good as any other OLL.

Is the nylon lower as strong as an aluminum one?

ar15barrels
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Is the nylon lower as strong as an aluminum one?

No.
They break under hard abuse.
Aluminum lower recievers will usually survive a KB.
Plastic lowers won't.

This is usually not a concern though if you never KB an upper.

slaaw
09-18-2008, 1:00 PM
That would leave sharp edges around the mag opening. May also look like a hack job if I did it myself.

Juicymeat
09-18-2008, 1:29 PM
A little bit of sandpaper goes a long way. Make an initial rough cut with the dremel, then finish it to your liking with sand paper. DIY jobs are a fun way to better know your rifle.

aplinker
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
It works OK to open it yourself, but if you can sell it close to what you paid for it, that $ can buy a better rifle.

If you'll take a bath, just DIY the lower, add BB for $25.