PDA

View Full Version : "If I told you I would have to kill you" Creek

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 3:29 PM
Well the day started off nice and cool when we made it to the area we were going to fish. Matt and I got out and got geared up for the day ahead. Just for giggles I walked down to the bridge by where we parked and threw out a fly real quick and a saw the tell tale splash, yes no skunk for me today I thought to myself. I quickly landed the little Redband and we decided to hike up river. This place is pretty neat, with no trails to really speak of so mist of the hiking was on the rocky banks or in the water when there was no bank. We fished basically leapfrog style on the way up; the fishing was good but not great. Yes we were catching plenty of fish but it just was not the same as when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Matt also mentioned that it was a lot different this time and he was there just the weekend before. I half jokingly said it was because of the full moon. Normally on this place you can literally throw one fly all day and have these redbands hammer it but today this was not the case. In some holes Wulfs were working but in the next hole they would not touch it but would hammer black ants. In other holes all they would hit were black beatles and in some only Adams. We got to this stretch and Matt said hey I want to try this hole with your 1WT, not wanting to fish his hole I asked if was sure. He replied yea I want to see you catch one of these on that rod. So I wet waded in below where the fish were holding and threw a #16 chartreuse Humpy that he had tied for this place. When the fly landed there was a large splash, I quickly set the hook and the fight was on. I could instantly tell that this guy was bigger than the others I had been catching by the bend in my rod. This was verified when he made his first jump, he ended up making three jumps during the fight. He started running towards me and I started stripping line it quickly. Matt said man he is a good size for this place about 15-16”. When I though man I am about to land him I made a fatal error. He turned towards me again and for a brief second I accidently let some slack in my line, I picked up the slack just in time to feel the head jerk and the line went loose. Matt said you should have seen the look on my face. I tried to see if I could get the any of the others from this hole but it was no use as they were all spooked. We hiked up a bit more catching fish in every hole we fished, though it did require changing flies in almost every hole. After awhile we hiked back to the car and ate some quick grub so we could get back out on the water. We decided to drive down the dirt access road a bit to check out the river downstream. I found a place to pull off and we hiked down to the water. Just as before there was no real trail so it was walking the rocky banks and wet wading. This time Matt went up river and I went down, we both had good luck and fun. Matt told me he found probably the best hole on the whole river, and got about 12 fish out of it of good size. I was also able to get into a nice hole with some good size fish (plus I was having some fun with the dinks in the shallow riffles). There was only one Bull Trout spotted on this trip, and he spooked as soon as he saw Matt. We hiked back to the car and headed home, we did stop on the way back to check out another spot but all that I ended up with was a few squaw fish so we got back in the car and headed home. I only managed a few pics as I was having so much fun I forgot to get the camera out, I did take a few and snapped some scenery shots as well. I will add more fish photos as well as soon as Matt emails them to me.

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 3:30 PM

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 3:31 PM

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 3:32 PM

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 3:33 PM

Jpach
09-17-2008, 5:28 PM
Beautiful place, can we know atleast what state thats in?

MrSlippyFist
09-17-2008, 5:38 PM
Hey Billy, nice fish! I've been fly fishing a lot of places between Twin Falls and Riggins. Our favorite spot was outside of Banks in Garden Valley because it didn't take long to get there from Boise and we always pulled out a couple beautiful fish. I lived in Boise for 8 years and was attached to the 116th CAV.

I could take a wild guess as to where this spot is, but it looks like a lot of places in Idaho, PRK, and Nevada. Hell, it could even be OR.

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 6:04 PM
Beautiful place, can we know atleast what state thats in?

Well since you are from my old home town I will tell ya it is in Idaho.

Saigon1965
09-17-2008, 6:07 PM
Good times again - The fishes are looking larger.

Looks like a warm day too.

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 6:11 PM
Hey Billy, nice fish! I've been fly fishing a lot of places between Twin Falls and Riggins. Our favorite spot was outside of Banks in Garden Valley because it didn't take long to get there from Boise and we always pulled out a couple beautiful fish. I lived in Boise for 8 years and was attached to the 116th CAV.

I could take a wild guess as to where this spot is, but it looks like a lot of places in Idaho, PRK, and Nevada. Hell, it could even be OR.

shhhh no guessing donít want this place outted ;)

Actually almost nobody fishes it, but it is also good Elk country so you can see a few hunters from time to time.

Yea there is a lot of nice spots here even close to town. Depending on what I feel like doing usually dictates where I go. On day trips I wonít usually venture more than 5hrs one way though.

Thrillbilly
09-17-2008, 6:15 PM
Good times again - The fishes are looking larger.

Looks like a warm day too.

It was in the low 50's when we got there and got to the low 80's by the afternoon. I know I have been concentrating on smaller waters with smaller fish lately with my ultra light fly gear. Donít worry for my next trip I plan on going to a place where the small browns are 17" and they can get up to 30". It will be a little bit though because I am taking a quick trip to the PRK (Santa Clarita area) on the weekend of the 26th.