PDA

View Full Version : Newbie AR Questions (Sorry)

ocg 03
09-17-2008, 1:36 PM
This is my first build... so I apologize for the newbie questions that have been answered a thousand times already.

I just purchases a CMMG lower and DPMS lower parts kit and I plan on using a bullet button.

I know I want to stick around the 14.5" -16" length barrel range. I am not looking to build a specialized rifle first time, just something to get my feet wet in the AR world.

Quick questions for you AR owners...

What is the best AR upper less than $750?

Also, what would you suggest for a stock?

I am kind of confused because I was under the impression you can't have a collapsible stock, but every AR I have seen has one.

I have done TONS of searches, on this stuff... The information is kind of dated though and there are all sorts of new products on the market.

I am open to any suggestions you may have regarding by build. Thanks in advance for all the help!

MrSlippyFist
09-17-2008, 1:39 PM
I have a Model 1 upper and have had great luck with it, and there is a thread about them and some people have had issues. They are fairly inexpensive. I just picked up a DPMS upper from midway for $380. Haven't had a chance to shoot that one yet. You can definitely get a good quality upper for less than $750.

ChrisXD45T
09-17-2008, 1:46 PM
What is the best AR upper less than $750?
BCM or LMT.
Find the BCM's here:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
http://global-tactical.com/
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home
⇒LMTs can be bought from some of the sponsors on this site.⇐
Also, what would you suggest for a stock?SOPMOD, Vltor, Magpul...Whatever you like and what fits your budget.

I am kind of confused because I was under the impression you can't have a collapsible stock, but every AR I have seen has one.I think what you mean is telescoping stock. But to answer your question: With a bullet button all things are possible.

I have done TONS of searches, on this stuff... The information is kind of dated though and there are all sorts of new products on the market.

I am open to any suggestions you may have regarding by build. Thanks in advance for all the help!You decide on rails yet?
Also get a good quality bolt carrier group like BCM, LMT, or Noveske.

ocg 03
09-17-2008, 2:29 PM
Haven't though about rails yet... Guess I have to figure that out too. Thanks guys!

ChrisXD45T
09-17-2008, 2:51 PM
Haven't though about rails yet... Guess I have to figure that out too. Thanks guys!
Here, I've been looking for this. This is very helpful.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1165997#post1165997

Glock_XXI
09-17-2008, 2:51 PM
My first AR was a Stag build and the upper I used was a Stag 1H. It is just a basic GI upper with removable carry handle (which is also the rear sight), a fixed front sight, and plastic hand guards.

It wasn't a bad place to start, but if you want rails I would go with the Stag 2HT. It has a Sampson rail system, and flip up BUIS (rear sight). It is ready for adding optics or other goodies (light, fwd. grip, etc)

But with a budget of $750 you can get a good upper.
Good luck your AR:cool2:

09-17-2008, 2:58 PM
If you build a fixed mag OLL you can have the evil features such as a collapsible stock.
Read this and it should answer most of your questions.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Bimmer2
09-17-2008, 9:22 PM
Check out m4carbine.net

The guys there are big fans of Noveske, Colt, LMT, BCM. They are NOT big fans of DPMS.

I've got a CMMG, and would buy another, but the upper was barely $500.

Putting a DPMS (low-end) lower parts kit in a rifle that's going to have a $750 (high-end) upper is kind of messed up...

What do you want in an upper that you think needs to cost $750?

Ben

ChrisXD45T
09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Check out m4carbine.net

The guys there are big fans of Noveske, Colt, LMT, BCM...[snip]
For good reason.

Putting a DPMS (low-end) lower parts kit in a rifle that's going to have a $750 (high-end) upper is kind of messed up...

Yes and no. There are better LPKs out there; I'd personally choose one from G&R tactical with my next choice being RRA, but the DPMS will work fine. They just tend to have more issues with fitting than other brands. If you take the time to hand fit, if it's even needed, you'll be fine. Most people will recommend you go with a two-stage trigger. I personally don't like them, but if they work for you that's great. Two-stage triggers tend to be easier for novice shooters when shooting at longer distances. I feel the extra pretravel is distracting and is just wasted energy, but that's just my opinion.

Bimmer2
09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Depending whom you ask, a DPMS kit is just fine, or it's a friggin' time bomb.

Like Chris said, the consensus seems to be that if you can swing it, you're better off spending a little bit more to get a better LPK.

I've got a CMMG LPK in my CMMG (made by DPMS, I think), and the trigger is god-awful. I can only think that a better quality LPK might have made some difference, and it wouldn't have cost me as much as a trigger job is going to cost now.

Ben

ChrisXD45T
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I've got a CMMG LPK in my CMMG (made by DPMS, I think), and the trigger is god-awful. I can only think that a better quality LPK might have made some difference, and it wouldn't have cost me as much as a trigger job is going to cost now.

Ben
Don't go spending a ton of money just yet, you may be able to improve it.
For one of my earlier builds I used a stag kit against my own better judgement. The trigger was terrible! Felt like a two-stage with sand in it; it had a rough snag half way through the trigger pull that you could actually hear. Turned out that the problem was the hammer, where the trigger engages. They didn't finish machining it, or something. There was a significant step-down to it that I could see looking at it from the side. I figured I might as well risk completely ruining it by grinding on it with a Dremel because I'm buying a new trigger group either way. I carefully ground and polished, and now it's the best trigger I have that came from a LPK. Smooth as glass and breaks at 4 lbs every time.

ocg 03
09-18-2008, 1:36 AM
So it the DPMS parts kit worth working with, or should I just buy something else? This is my first build, but I want to do it right... If the DPMS kit sucks, I have no problem selling it and buying something different. It's pretty tough getting into this AR stuff with so many choices. A good problem to have I guess...

If you were me... which 16" upper would you get? So far I'm leaning towards the LMT or Spikes.

DedEye
09-18-2008, 1:42 AM
So it the DPMS parts kit worth working with, or should I just buy something else? This is my first build, but I want to do it right... If the DPMS kit sucks, I have no problem selling it and buying something different. It's pretty tough getting into this AR stuff with so many choices. A good problem to have I guess...

If you were me... which 16" upper would you get? So far I'm leaning towards the LMT or Spikes.

Get the LMT.

hms281
09-18-2008, 10:42 AM
If you can afford LMT do it. I chose to buy a cheaper upper and got a better stock.

16 inch Stag upper with carry handle.

Stag Off list lower (stag-15).

Both look and have worked great for over 3000 rounds (Mosty wolf ammo!)

Took the money saved and got the best stock you can buy-LMT SOPMOD Stock.

All in all I am very happy with stag. If money wasn't an issue then LMT or Larue all the way.

ocg 03
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I can't find a decent priced LMT upper that's 16". Everybody is sold out.

Sucks for me.

ocg 03
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Any thoughts on the CMMG 16" M4 Uppers?

Good, Bad?

hms281
09-18-2008, 1:32 PM
From what I CMMG are very nice.

hms281
09-18-2008, 1:34 PM
I get my stag stuff from these guys, They also have LMT, they are way cheap, try them! Ow and they drop ship direct to you if not in stock.

http://www.ar15sales.com/lmt.htm

Bimmer2
09-18-2008, 2:19 PM
I have a CMMG. I would buy another.

Check out their forum at arf.com for more opinions. They're customer service hit a bad patch earlier this year, but it seems to be much better now.

Ben

DedEye
09-18-2008, 3:03 PM
I have a CMMG. I would buy another.

Check out their forum at arf.com for more opinions. They're customer service hit a bad patch earlier this year, but it seems to be much better now.

Ben

CMMG is normally considered just a shade below LMT in terms of quality. Except for a diminished quality control as a result of increased production and demand (which is supposed to be back to normal now), they're quite good.

ChrisXD45T
09-18-2008, 6:49 PM
CMMG is normally considered just a shade below LMT in terms of quality. Except for a diminished quality control as a result of increased production and demand (which is supposed to be back to normal now), they're quite good.
From the one's I've come across, I'd put them just below RRA and no where near LMT if I had to rank them; don't get me wrong, they are excellent for their price range and for who they are marketed to, and would probably never give you any trouble if you go for the LMT bolt upgrade.

To the OP: If you're up to it, go ahead and get the RRA lower parts kit and ditch the DPMS.
Upper selection really has to do with what you plan to use this rifle for.

CaliAR
09-18-2008, 8:50 PM
Any thoughts on the CMMG 16" M4 Uppers?

Good, Bad?

This is what I have and I like it...........I only have one issue, when I sighted it in I had to adjust the rear sight almost all the way to the right. Not sure why and that was from the factory. Other than that I like it.

CMMG 16" M4 upper
Stag lower
RRA two stage match trigger
Badger ornance Tac Latch
Daniel Defense 7.0
Troy folding rear
Phantom brake 5m2
Bullet Button (of course)
C products 10/30 mag
Ergo grip (very comfortable )
Magpul xt rail guards
RRA collapsable stock (im changing to CAA stock as soon as I receive it, just put this one on so I could go to the range)
I believe the fore grip is made by UTG.

Pending:
EOTech
EOTech Magnifier

aplinker
09-20-2008, 12:30 PM
From the one's I've come across, I'd put them just below RRA and no where near LMT if I had to rank them; don't get me wrong, they are excellent for their price range and for who they are marketed to, and would probably never give you any trouble if you go for the LMT bolt upgrade.

To the OP: If you're up to it, go ahead and get the RRA lower parts kit and ditch the DPMS.
Upper selection really has to do with what you plan to use this rifle for.

LMT makes probably the best CA-(easily)obtainable carbines.

That being said, a mid-length gas system is a better choice. LMT only makes that in the MRP.

CMMG is the way to go to get a mid-length. RRA is nice, too.

If he's talking about a DPMS LPK there's ZERO reason to ditch an LPK. Just use it, but know it could potentially have parts missing or be a good deal tougher to install than a RRA or Armalite. The parts will work just fine.