PDA

View Full Version : SHOOTING CLAY PIDGEONS OH MY!

windsheer
09-17-2008, 9:41 AM
I finally went shooting with very long barrelled shot guns at clay pidgeons. This was certainly more fun then I had expected. I rank this as the most fun shooting possible . A close 2nd is my garands at steel wheels and bowling pins, then .22 with a good scope Now I want 5 shotguns semiauto with long barrels HELP!

Revoman
09-17-2008, 5:04 PM
It IS a barrel of fun!
Where did you shoot, Redlands?
I usually shoot Miramar, good fields and good people there.
Are you shooting trap, skeet or clays?
Any one of are fun.

sargenv
09-17-2008, 5:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with changing disciplines now and again. I've been through a few here and there. Handgun Sillouette, Bullseye, IPSC, skeet and trap, sporting clays and 5-stand, and then my old standby hunting upland game and waterfowl. :)

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-17-2008, 5:23 PM
Your addicted now to the Clays. It's a blast. My only problem is that i can't afford to shoot clays as much as i want to.

odysseus
09-17-2008, 5:48 PM
It is one of the better ways to spend your day!

Gunaria
09-17-2008, 5:49 PM
Have you shoot clays at night yet?

wceviper
09-17-2008, 7:41 PM
Have you shoot clays at night yet?

That is a lot of fun too!

PorkLover
09-17-2008, 8:12 PM
Your addicted now to the Clays. It's a blast. My only problem is that i can't afford to shoot clays as much as i want to.

I agree....I shoot clays about once a month....wish I could afford to do it every weekend!....

mike100
09-17-2008, 8:21 PM
and I thought I was spending too much money when a 4 pack of shells was only $13 at Walmart. It's like golf, but with lead.

Thefeeder
09-17-2008, 8:36 PM
I finally went shooting with very long barrelled shot guns at clay pidgeons. This was certainly more fun then I had expected. I rank this as the most fun shooting possible . A close 2nd is my garands at steel wheels and bowling pins, then .22 with a good scope Now I want 5 shotguns semiauto with long barrels HELP!

Its only the begining my friend.

5 semi's ? .....Go buy one nice O/U....Its worth it just not to pick-up hulls.

ar15barrels
09-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Low house station 8 on skeet.
Yeah baby!

zenmastar
09-18-2008, 6:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with changing disciplines now and again.

Absolutely, variety is the spice of life and the various shooting disciplines and challenges that come with these are no different. This is why everyone needs a basic armory and some have an excessive armory at home (if there is such a thing).

Frijolito1988
09-18-2008, 9:05 AM
Low house station 8 on skeet.
Yeah baby!

Yes i have been meaning to do this for a while now! and the clays are cheap! i think walmart sells them for like 90 clays ? or a big ammount for like 10 bucks or so

AdamM
09-18-2008, 9:06 AM
Yes i have been meaning to do this for a while now! and the clays are cheap! i think walmart sells them for like 90 clays ? or a big ammount for like 10 bucks or so

yea they do, ive seen those too

mike_w
09-18-2008, 9:38 AM
Yea i recently got stuck on skeet i went shooting skeet for the first time not too long ago and suck horribly which really got me interested, i now shoot like 4 times a week, it actually surprised me how much is it, which your
buying 9mm or 45 and you see 12ga sheel go for 5 bucks you think its cheap
but its not when you actually go shooting figure 4-5 rounds? it adds up

windsheer
09-18-2008, 10:06 AM
As far as skeet or trap , I really don't know . My friend just put a semi auto in my hand pulled the lever when I said PULL. The clay thing aim was away from where we were standing and up of course. It was just plain fun.

Was not real hard to hit that thing either.

Now what to buy , no real rush as I don't see any change in these type of shot guns by November elections . Good sport with a group it works with a crowd as far as watching & participating.

Next is to get at least 1 semi auto shot gun and have jam session.

The location was private land east of Escondido .

stphnman20
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I've never shot skeet or trap.. But i'm planning on going soon.. I just bought a Remy 870 express.. Wonder if this is good enough to use.

gunn
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I've never shot skeet or trap.. But i'm planning on going soon.. I just bought a Remy 870 express.. Wonder if this is good enough to use.

An 870 Express with a 24" barrel was my first trap gun.

Q: More importantly, how long is your barrel?

I tried shooting trap with an 18.5" barrel once... The pellets spread out and drop velocity much too quickly. It was embarrassing.

My 28" barrel is much more useful. At least now I can no longer blame the shotgun for my inability to hit all the pigeons.
-g

stphnman20
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
An 870 Express with a 24" barrel was my first trap gun.

Q: More importantly, how long is your barrel?

I tried shooting trap with an 18.5" barrel once... The pellets spread out and drop velocity much too quickly. It was embarrassing.

My 28" barrel is much more useful. At least now I can no longer blame the shotgun for my inability to hit all the pigeons.
-g
I have an 18". So I guess thats a no... :(

Angie
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
-g

Plus some ranges (Like Triple B's) won't let you use an 18"... I know Triple Bs min. barrel length is 20".

ar15barrels
09-18-2008, 2:42 PM
I have an 18". So I guess thats a no... :(

Skeet will be no problem.
Skeet is a close and fast game with birds crossing in front of you.
Trap is where you need longer barrels, heavier loads and tighter chokes as the birds are flying away from you.

ar15barrels
09-18-2008, 2:43 PM
Plus some ranges (Like Triple B's) won't let you use an 18"... I know Triple Bs min. barrel length is 20".

That's mostly to keep the gang banger types out.
All the guys with pistol gripped 18" mossbergs...

Frijolito1988
09-18-2008, 3:23 PM
Skeet will be no problem.
Skeet is a close and fast game with birds crossing in front of you.
Trap is where you need longer barrels, heavier loads and tighter chokes as the birds are flying away from you.

ohhh isee no wonder, cuz i ve seen people throw them kind of across the shooter in a arc movement , and then some peole throw them really far

ar15barrels
09-18-2008, 3:27 PM
ohhh isee no wonder, cuz i ve seen people throw them kind of across the shooter in a arc movement , and then some peole throw them really far

I'm talking about actual regulation skeet/trap ranges.
Going out to the desert with a hand thrower is something completely different.