PDA

View Full Version : Deer cart oppinion needed

09-17-2008, 8:35 AM
Anyone has one of these? Guide GearŪ Aluminum Deer Cart (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=450180&kwtid=283937)

The area I scouted this year is restricted to motor vehicle access and there is a good 2 hour/4 mile hike on a mountain trail running along a creek until you get to the honey hole. Without a light dependable deer cart capable to haul the meat back to the road, I won't even bother to go there.

So any opinions or experience with this brand and model?

PatriotnMore
09-17-2008, 8:40 AM
Unless you are hunting in very flat terrain, save your money, these carts will be useless. quarter and haul out your game in a pack.

09-17-2008, 9:11 AM
Unless you are hunting in very flat terrain, save your money, these carts will be useless. quarter and haul out your game in a pack.

Ouch! I already ordered it. Well, at least I will serve me well for hauling the duck decoys, blind and the rest of the gear at Wister.

r08ert209cali
09-18-2008, 2:34 PM
in california I believe the regs state nothing with a wheel allowed in national forrest lands.

09-18-2008, 7:17 PM
in california I believe the regs state nothing with a wheel allowed in national forrest lands.

You are probably talking about Wilderness areas. No motor vehicles allowed and in some of them like in the one I'm hunting, no bicycles. It is posted at the entrance of the trail. The laws and the signs posted don't mention anything about push/pull carts on wheels.

Update: I take that back, WAGON, WHEELBARROW, STROLLER, BICYCLE, GAME CARTS are prohibited.
Thanks for the tip.

Trapper
09-18-2008, 7:28 PM
I've found the carts to be more trouble than they're worth if you are hunting in an area with heavy underbrush or rocks. The deer sleds work well for short drags, a pack frame is the way to go for longer trips.

dandan
09-28-2008, 5:03 PM
wouldn't a wheelbarrow work just as well? The backpack idea can be a lot of going back & forth if you are 4 or more miles back and it is night, it could exhaust you before you get the animal back.

xcrunner805
09-28-2008, 6:00 PM
Bone out the deer and pack 'em out. If it's a monster for a head mount just cut off @ the neck and you're still g2g. You can carry easily 40-60 lbs (maybe more if it's big) of just deer meat and a head and about 15 lbs of gear on top of that.