PDA

View Full Version : who sells aftermarket Svt40 magizines?

Justin562
09-17-2008, 7:45 AM
Hey,
I recently bought a svt-40 -fastastic gun btw.
Does anyone know of a company that makes or sells aftermarket or factory magizines? I didn't see any at the recent gun shows.

caldude
09-17-2008, 8:12 AM
Nobody I know sells or makes aftermarket magazines for the SVT-40, and I don't think there's enough of a market for one to start. I've only (rarely) seen original magazines on sale, at like $150-199 each. If you want to pay that much, try GunBroker and wait until one shows up.

double_action
09-17-2008, 8:22 AM
Here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=726650&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

They don't work too well though and need some work to function right.

Justin562
09-17-2008, 8:50 AM
cool thanks guys:cool:

TRAP55
09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Every SVT magazine was fitted to each individual rifle and serial numbered to it. All of the Numrich mags have the same serial number stamped on them because they were copied from the same original mag. To fit one, you'll have to do what the Russian arsenal workers had to do.
The Numrich mag will come in a plastic bag, and covered in oil, so the first step is to take it apart and get it clean.

The mag needs to have a tight lock up in the mag well when the latch is folded back in the locked position. They were made to be reloaded by hand in the rifle, or with Mosin stripper clips. It's not likely, but if the mag doesn't lock up, "carefully" file the bottom of the mag locking lug, it won't take much.

Next step is, to make sure the mag follower moves the bolt hold open latch ALL the way up. This is important for two reasons, it will round off the engaging surfaces, and if you know what "Garand thumb" is, you'll find out why they call it the Russian Garand!
Use a needle file to cut the notch in the back of the mag higher, just enough to make the latch fully engage the front of the bolt.

Next is making it feed, the feed ramp has a little extra material, and the feed lips are sharp enough to shave with. The feed lips will cut up brass cases, and hang up steel cases, especially the copper washed variety.
Important thing here is not to remove material, just round the edge of the lip and polish it. I use a flat needle file to knock the edge off, then 600 grit emery paper to round it.

Use a fine half round file to shape the mag feed ramp to match the contour of the mag well ramp in the receiver, doing a little bit at a time. When you get it close, use the 600 grit paper to polish it. You want both ramps to look like one piece.

The Numrich mags have a mag spring base plate without a locking tab, some have them, the majority don't. The recoil will make the mag floor plate slide forward and off, sending the mag internals and your remaining ammo all over the range!
Two ways to fix this, the hard way:
Find a non-galvanized nail that fits the locking hole in the floor plate. Drill a hole in the spring base plate the same size. Cut the head off the nail leaving about 3mm of the shank. Put it in the spring base plate hole and silver solder in place. File the end of the shank down so it barely sticks out the mag floor plate when assembled.
The easy way:
Thread a parkerized GM self threading body screw into the locking tab hole from the bottom. Yeah, I did this after hours of frustration trying to get my propane torch to work. It worked and looks good too! I have a bag full of the screws if you need a couple. I'll try to get some pics up detailing the mag fitting.

Justin562
09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Wow, thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it:)