PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 type rifle beginning questions.

RFB
09-17-2008, 1:13 AM
Hello all,

I am beginning the research of how to get the 5.56 EBR I want with the laws I am subject to.

I have read the wonderful guides here and have a few questions. I am new to these rifles so if anything sounds off please let me know.

1a.) The 10 round mag is fixed with either Bullet Button or Prince 50, because of this it is loaded without being removed by opening up the upper from the lower?

1 b.) Do the Prince 50 or bullet button permanently affect the lower or if I ever do move out of state or the laws change...a standard magazine release could be installed?

2.) The lower must be off list, but the upper could be Colt, Armalite, etc?

3.) IF yes above and If the laws change or I do move I could then buy the matching lower and attach it to my existing upper?

4)
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/RFB7575/OLL30.jpg

Once I am at this ^ stage I can add the stock and upper of my choice, BUT if the magazine is ever to be removed (say for cleaning?) I must return to this \/ stage:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/RFB7575/OLL29.jpg

with the handle off before removing magazine?

5) I really would prefer a more traditional M16/AR15 type rifle over the newer more popular M4 style. Like this one: http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images%5CRifles%5CM15A2_RIFLE%20large.jpg From what I can see the only differences are collapsible stock versus solid and 16" barrel vs 20"? With Iron sights as I really want to get good with its basic form before (if ever) going to optics. Anything I am missing in this plan?

6) What is involved in registering this rifle compared to say a Marlin 336, what is the assault weapon paperwork? Anything I need to do to prepare?

Thank you all for your help, especially to the writers of the guides,

RFB

09-17-2008, 1:25 AM
1 a) Prince 50 requires that you top load. Also removing the mag from a rifle that use the Prince 50 would be illegal if the rifle has any of the evil features. Bullet Button you can remove the mag by using a tool and still be legal.
1 b) Neither are permanent and you rifle can be restored to how it should be in a free state in the matter of minutes.
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) See 1 a).
5) Sounds like you want an A2 stock with a 20" barrel. Basic differences are barrel length/profile and the stock.
6) No assault weapon paperwork. The rifles we are building are not AWs, hence all the crazy hoops we jump through.

smokingloon
09-17-2008, 1:36 AM
The bullet button/prince 50 are easily detachable. It should take you no more then a minute to change out. I leave the stock mag release parts in the buttstock.

If you plan on only having one OLL and might later add on optics, I would get the flat top and add BUIS for now. That way you can easily mount optics in the future.
I just got 2 lowers. One was something that resembled what I had in the military and another one that I added a scope on.

I'm sure someone will come on here and answer your other questions.

RFB
09-17-2008, 6:15 PM
O.k. thanks!

So here is what I got so far. I want a A2 build over the M4.

I will defiantly be on the lookout for a flattop, but am really saving that for if/when I build a M4 type.

I understand that the prince 50 is a mag release with a lock screw, so if I have a handle, etc attached and the second I loosed the lock screw it becomes illegal. Hence it sounds like the bullet button is superior as I can remove the magazines due to the need of a tool and not have to do that break open and load thing.

Uppers and lowers and magpuls oh my, from here on out once I have a CA legal lower standard accessories are my choice.

Thanks again,

RFB

Vinz
09-17-2008, 6:25 PM
If you are travelling often a B15 magazine lock would be the best option for you.

welcome
Vinz

O.k. thanks!

So here is what I got so far. I want a A2 build over the M4.

I will defiantly be on the lookout for a flattop, but am really saving that for if/when I build a M4 type.

I understand that the prince 50 is a mag release with a lock screw, so if I have a handle, etc attached and the second I loosed the lock screw it becomes illegal. Hence it sounds like the bullet button is superior as I can remove the magazines due to the need of a tool and not have to do that break open and load thing.

Uppers and lowers and magpuls oh my, from here on out once I have a CA legal lower standard accessories are my choice.

Thanks again,

RFB

bombadillo
09-17-2008, 8:37 PM
I second the b15 idea. Those look like a great little piece.