PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Bolt CATCH Question

Gland
09-16-2008, 4:32 PM
What does it do? when is it supposed to catch the bolt? why? What is it used for? Tell me everything about it.

BP88
09-16-2008, 4:34 PM
It's to keep the bolt to the rear. Many rifles have a bolt lock of some sort.

ChrisXD45T
09-16-2008, 4:35 PM
It holds the bolt open after the last round on an empty mag. It speeds up reloading the weapon when you don't have to un-shoulder it and rack the action after putting in another mag; you only need to hit the bolt release after pushing in a loaded mag and go.

scfast
09-16-2008, 4:39 PM
When the magazine is empties the follower pushes up on the bolt catch holding the bolt to the rear after the last round and just a push of a button sends a round home when a new magazine is inserted so as not to charge the weapon with the charging handle....Makes for quick magazine changes and gets you back in to action fast

Ironchef
09-16-2008, 4:45 PM
It is meant to engage the bolt in the buffer tube to prevent recoil...no, actually it's what they've said it's for ^ ^ ^

Gland
09-16-2008, 5:20 PM
thanks guys everyone,
my brother just got an ar-15; i was wondering why the bolt stayed back, there wasn't a magazine in it

JBird33
09-16-2008, 6:43 PM
thanks guys everyone,
my brother just got an ar-15; i was wondering why the bolt stayed back, there wasn't a magazine in it

Shouldn't do that. The bolt catch should only hold the bolt back if there IS a mag in the weapon. I don't know how in the hell it would ever work without having a mag in there...maybe one of the experts can chime in.

-hanko
09-16-2008, 6:56 PM
Shouldn't do that. The bolt catch should only hold the bolt back if there IS a mag in the weapon. I don't know how in the hell it would ever work without having a mag in there...maybe one of the experts can chime in.
You want to go to arfcom & download one of the military manuals...

The mag catch should hold the bolt open, with a magazine in the gun, after the last round is fired. You can drop the mag and the catch will hold the bolt open until you release the catch. If you don't plan on shooting from there on, double check that the chamber is empty, release the bolt catch and point the rifle down range and pull the trigger to drop the hammer. If you want to shoot some more, load another mag and release the catch or pull back on the charging handle to chamber another round.

3rd and 4th posts are correct.

Gland, if your brother is not familiar with ar's, share one of the manuals with him before he goes to the range.;).

I'm no-way an expert with ar's (sorta'-kinda' with fal's) but I read the manual before I loaded the gun.:D.

hth & welcome to calguns

-hanko

JBird33
09-16-2008, 9:13 PM
I have the manual, thanks though. I thought he meant that his brother's bolt catch was ENGAGING without a magazine in, which is not normal function. As in, pull charging handle with empty magwell and bolt stays back.

I refuse to go to arfcom anyhow. I can't stand that clown show.

bohoki
09-16-2008, 9:51 PM
oh that is what it is for

i always thought it was a follower lowerer you press it to allow the bolt to go foward without rubbing on the follower protrusion