PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated 22lr ar or Gsg5?

fusionstar
09-16-2008, 1:02 PM
Just received a check from my friend in Wisconsin from the loan I gave him a few months ago and all is well in my life so it seems a new toy is in order.

I have been wanting to get a spikes 22lr lower / light weight upper fake can spector rails and such for a while now. Also on this 22 list is a gsg-5. Of course times like these I can only pick one and even if I chose the spikes, I would have to wait till next month to get the upper. A gsg-5 would be in my hands in 15 days or less should I choose to buy it. If I go the spikes route, I would have a completed lower with no upper for a good month.

The pros of the gsg-5 is the price, although high compared to most other semi auto 22's, it is still half of the spikes in the configuration I would like.

The pros of the spikes 22 lr is the modularity, Should I choose to get a 7.62x39 or a 5.56 upper down the road I can just use the lower I have without having to dros additional lowers.

I do like the ar-15 platform more but the price and wait is a real turn off.
My heart wants the spikes but my wallet wants a (break?) gsg-5

One time I waited 11 days for a 870 at big 5 and turns out they didn't do the paper work correctly, 22 days i had to wait. By that time, squirrel season had ended. Never again I told myself. I watched EVERY 870 video on youtube to fill the void.

What should I choose?

joelogic
09-16-2008, 1:24 PM
If its just a toy get the gsg-5.

I have several lowers already so I would go the spikes route so I could get some range trigger and target acquisition time at the .22 price.

Black Majik
09-16-2008, 1:26 PM
I vote for a Spikes. A real AR15 that shoots .22 instead of a gun that feels more like a toy. Mate the Spikes on a lower with a nice 2-stage trigger and it's really a lot of fun at the range.

Follow your heart, not your wallet.

nobs11
09-16-2008, 1:45 PM
10/22.

I don't understand the urge to buy an inaccurate and expensive 22 just because it looks more tacticool (Spikes or GSG), but it is your money, so disregard. Just my 2c.

What Just Happened?
09-16-2008, 1:56 PM
If you don't have an AR-15, I'd go with the spike's option. That way you can easily get an upper of a different caliber later on.

vf111
09-16-2008, 1:59 PM
Get the GSG & a Spike's lower now so you can DROS the two together and save $$ on the DROS (probably set you back total about $700 OTD depending on tax, etc.). The big cost on a Spike's 22lr AR is the upper anyways so save that for when you have the additional bread set aside.

5150Marcelo
09-16-2008, 2:01 PM
Im going with the spikes simply cuz I got a built Spikes lower on here at a sweet deal. Now for the upper!

HeHateMe
09-16-2008, 2:35 PM
I have both a GSG-5, Spike's AR, and a couple modded out 10/22s. I would go with the Spike's, 10/22, and then the GSG-5. The Spike's and 10/22 are easier to clean and accuracy is better. The GSG-5 feels like..well airsoft with kick, while the Spike's and 10/22 are both rock solid. No rifle collections is complete without a 10/22.

Guntech
09-16-2008, 3:00 PM
10/22.

I don't understand the urge to buy an inaccurate and expensive 22 just because it looks more tacticool (Spikes or GSG), but it is your money, so disregard. Just my 2c.

So you can have Pistol grip and drop mags, I dont have one but I think thats why also they look cooler than most .22s.

CSACANNONEER
09-16-2008, 3:01 PM
10/22.

Have you ever shot a GSG? I thought not. I was pleasently surprised to find that mine can shoot <2 moa offhand! Of course, that's not the reason I bought it and, for some reason when I'm shooting it, I tend to shoot it too fast to keep tight groups. But, the first time I shot it, I did shoot it for groups and I was shocked to see a 10 shot cloverleaf at 50'.

If you don't have a 10-22, get one first. Then, go with a GSG or Spikes. The GSG is not built to be a daily shooter and I'd be surprised if mine lasts 20,000 rounds before having a major issue. A 10-22 should last several 100,000 rounds, at least!

Waingro
09-16-2008, 3:08 PM
10/22.

+100000000000000000

10/22 and you can pimp it out all you want. And it should be a much better gun for the money.

BroncoBob
09-16-2008, 3:16 PM
Have you ever shot a GSG? I thought not. I was pleasently surprised to find that mine can shoot <2 moa offhand! Of course, that's not the reason I bought it and, for some reason when I'm shooting it, I tend to shoot it too fast to keep tight groups. But, the first time I shot it, I did shoot it for groups and I was shocked to see a 10 shot cloverleaf at 50'.

If you don't have a 10-22, get one first. Then, go with a GSG or Spikes. The GSG is not built to be a daily shooter and I'd be surprised if mine lasts 20,000 rounds before having a major issue. A 10-22 should last several 100,000 rounds, at least!

Man that just makes me want a gsg-5 more and more. I don't plan on running 20,000 rounds through it. In fact I've had firearms for over 20 years and none of mine even come close to 20,000 rounds. Maybe I'm just not shooting them enough. I sure like the gsg-5. I have a spikes which I haven't had any problems with since I got it several months ago.

studiojon
09-16-2008, 3:28 PM
I have shot both and they both have a different feel, as far as plinking accuracy goes they seem bout the same to me .. and both have a very cool factor but I did not like the GSG-5 stock pistol grip just didnt feel right in my hand they can both be tac'd out and look really good. If you want accuracy get a 10/22 and pimp it out if you want plinking heaven get either spikes or GSG-5 ..

I have a Ciener kit and it works flawlessly, thats what works for me as I dont shoot for groups with it :chris:

good luck on your choice and please post some pics once you purchase

my 2 cents. :43:

Ironchef
09-16-2008, 3:42 PM
If the price is too much, the Ciener kit might work..of course you'll have to clean more (gas tube too) from what I hear.

Or, don't go with the expensive, long wait plagued spike's upper and pick up a much cheaper bushmaster 22lr upper. THey have an a2 for $381, and a flattop for $4xx I believe. Much less than the spike's $550 or $650 if I'm not mistaken. And in the end, it IS a .22lr AR..made for fun and looks. Oh, and your resale value will probably be better with the AR 22lr than with the gsg or 10/22.

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 4:28 PM
10/22.

Yep, build one like this...

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/10-22.jpg

fusionstar
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I already have a 10/22 that my father handed me in the early 90's although it is a handy little reliable rifle, the stock does feel small on me and groups are sub par even with wolf/sk match target and extra.

I could dress it up and have a totally awesome plinker/target rifle, but at this time, I have no drive to build one when I have my 597 22lr. Just as reliable(mods) and twice as accurate out of the box(1.5-2MOA w/ American Eagle hollow points 1moa w/ wolf/sk)and has a custom black/white grassy paint job.

As many have pointed out, the spikes will be my FIRST ar platform and that is the driving reason for not going and modding out a 10/22.

scubamark13
09-17-2008, 7:11 AM
I absolutely love my Spikes. It looks and feels like another one of my ARs so I get to practice with cheap ammo in the same platform that I would go to when SHTF.

You could always buy a standard upper and a Ciener kit for about the same price as a Spikes upper but dropping mags with evil features is pretty cool.

SanSacto
09-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I am going with option 3, Kel-Tec SU-22CA. Cheaper and just as cool.

homerm14
09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
i'm not very pleased with my upper from spikes.it jams alot.when you pull back the charging handle it feels like something is catching and sometimes the bolt sticks.sometimes the empties don't empty out of the gun.now if i had a choice between the gsg and spikes,i would still go with spikes.at least the ar can be fixed

Sounds like your bolt stop is dragging on the bolt. File it down a little and see what happens.

grammaton76
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
AR with a V-22 upper. Cheap, and it works. I've had one of those since early '06.

CSACANNONEER
09-17-2008, 3:54 PM
Man that just makes me want a gsg-5 more and more. I don't plan on running 20,000 rounds through it. In fact I've had firearms for over 20 years and none of mine even come close to 20,000 rounds. Maybe I'm just not shooting them enough. I sure like the gsg-5. I have a spikes which I haven't had any problems with since I got it several months ago.

20,000 rounds of .22lr isn't that much. It's really easy to shoot 500 rounds in a couple of hours. If you do that once a week, it'll take less than a year to get to 20K.

BroncoBob
09-17-2008, 5:49 PM
20,000 rounds of .22lr isn't that much. It's really easy to shoot 500 rounds in a couple of hours. If you do that once a week, it'll take less than a year to get to 20K.

Yes you can get to 20K fast at that rate. With my schedule I just can't make it out every week. At most maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks maybe longer. During winter it really slows down. Back in the early 90's I bought a 1200 rd case of 7.62 x39 to go with my SKS and to this day I still have almost 500 rounds of it. I'm not one of the blast as fast as you can type. I tend to take my time and try to acceive accurate placement of my shots.

xs2k
12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
What did the OP end up going with?

Just had the same dilemma, and ended up going with GSG. I do have a lower I haven't built yet. Waiting for the obama buying frenzy to die down before I start picking up parts for it.

AlliedArmory
12-13-2008, 1:01 AM
im curious on what the OP got too. i am in the same situation right now and dont know which to get. wait in line and get the Spikes? get the bushmaster for cheaper? anyone have a bushmaster? wondering what the comparision is compared to the spikes

dchang0
12-13-2008, 2:05 AM
Dedicated .22LR upper! If you order today, you'll probably still get yours before me--I opted for the Lothar Walther barrel, which Spike's tells me won't ship until FEBRUARY, LOL!

_Odin_
12-13-2008, 2:41 AM
10/22.

Woah! Woah! Careful there Nobs11! - best not recommend anything thats not tacticool and of superior quality! - otherwise ***-hats like "J-Rock" might take issue!

/sarcasm off

Blacktail 8541
12-13-2008, 7:16 AM
10/22.

Expensive, YES. innaccurate, NO. My dedicated build is extremly accurate for a rimfire. It may not be an Anshutz, but it shoots plenty good.

Blacktail 8541
12-13-2008, 7:18 AM
Woah! Woah! Careful there Nobs11! - best not recommend anything thats not tacticool and of superior quality! - otherwise ***-hats like "J-Rock" might take issue!

/sarcasm off

I predict your stay her will end up being short if personal attacks presist.