PDA

View Full Version : California Deer hunting

belwyrm
09-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I lived in California for most of my life, and, as a hunter, tried to enjoy the sport while maneuvering around strict regulations, assuming that it was needed to maintain deer populations so that I could enjoy the sport I loved.

Then I moved to Virginia a couple years ago and found the differences to be like night and day. Hunting is a part of life in all the parts of VA I've lived in and it shows alot in the way hunting is managed.

I don't know about all of California, but in the area I grew up (Sierra Nevada foothills) the deer population has grown tremendously. My family still lives there and my dad tells me about deer. There's been a huge increase in the amount of deer hit by cars, and you can't go anywhere without seeing a herd.

California still has the same strict regulations; the severely limited number of deer tags in every area, the high prices of licences, and the total lack of either-sex or doe seasons.

In Virginia they have an overpopulation in certain areas, though the herd is generally healthy, and there are a lot of hunters, in a smaller state. In the areas where the population has become a huge proplem, the DGIF opened an early, doe only, urban archery season.

A list of the licenses I buy and the cost;

State Hunting License: $18.00
Deer, Turkey and Bear tags: $18.00 (3 either sex deer tags, 3 antlerless only deer tags, 3 turkey tags, 1 bear tag)
State Archery License: $18.00
State Muzzleloader: $18.00
Extra deer tags: $10.00 (3 antlerless only)

For $82 I can do a lot of hunting, and trust me, there are a LOT of hunters. Instead of devistating the deer population, they had to institute the earn a buck program this year, and the extra month doe season. (* Earn a buck means you have to kill a doe for every buck you kill after the first one)

I read an article in American hunter today that talked about the lack of a Cougar hunting season in Cali, since cougar attacks on humans and pets have increased dramatically. To me, this is very indicative of the deer population. Cougar's are flourishing because there's food to go around. Now Cougars are staking out territory in human habitations due to overpopulations in rural areas.

Is there a movement for a change in the state hunting regulations, or do people believe they are working?

Your thoughts?

PatriotnMore
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
The only movement for change is within the hunting community itself, there is plenty of data to show good cause for game management for the predator, and non predator alike. Unfortunately, clubs such as sierra, peta, and others animal rights groups are equally, and in some cases more politically active and influential, and help create un-reasonable anti hunting laws. As to people working to make change, yes, but not enough IMHO.

packnrat
09-17-2008, 10:40 AM
deer overpopulate areas were there are no cat's or bear to hunt them.
when only people can do the hunting they (the deer) breed like crazy.

:TFH:

dandan
09-28-2008, 5:12 PM
I have hunted both VA & CA. The hunting in CA is better because of the absolute wilderness of CA. You cannot get away from people back east. I see a lot of deer back east but I can glass CA canyons all day long and I am a happy man.

xcrunner805
09-28-2008, 5:57 PM
I have hunted both VA & CA. The hunting in CA is better because of the absolute wilderness of CA. You cannot get away from people back east. I see a lot of deer back east but I can glass CA canyons all day long and I am a happy man.

Ain't that true! That's the best part of CA hunting. Just get off the road 5 miles or more and you'll never see anyone.

m98
09-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Ain't that true! That's the best part of CA hunting. Just get off the road 5 miles or more and you'll never see anyone.

There's just not as many hunters in this state as compared to Virginia and the state has more hunting areas available.

A question to think: At your place of employment how many people there Hunt and Shoot as a hobbie? At where I work, only 3 including myself out of 50 workers. That's like 6% only. At my wifes place of employment, 0%. At my buddies, 0%.

xcrunner805
09-29-2008, 9:22 PM
Yea, actually most people who hunt that work for the farm I work for hunt duck, quail and lots of dove. Few of them hunt deer/pigs and if they do they hunt on private land they either own or family owns. But true, this state is so large and the amount of hunters is really low.

quickcf
09-30-2008, 8:04 AM
Anyone know a good place to hunt deer in So Cal? By the way, what's doe?

Two Shots
09-30-2008, 8:11 AM

A female deer is called a doe

A324
09-30-2008, 8:20 AM

Bambi's momma was a 'doe'