PDA

View Full Version : What got you interested in firearms to begin with?

CHS
09-16-2008, 9:05 AM
So, as a male shooter, I'm always curious what drives women into the shooting sports. I've always tried to get the women that I know in my life interested, but it seems most just don't have fun.

Obviously we have a better breed of female here on this board! :)

So yeah, how did you first get interested?

How many of you got involved because of a parent or significant other? How many of you discovered guns on your own?

Do you enjoy shooting? Or is it more out of defense than anything else?

shellyzsweet
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
you asked...so here we go!
I started shooting when I was little. My Grandfather used to be an LEO and U.S. Boarder Patrol and won a shooting tournament or two (can't remember how many) So of course, my dad got into guns. I can't ever remember a time that he took them out for me to see and hold but never shoot until right before my first few shots. I remember he bought a ruger 10/22 with a scope on it....started with that. I could hardly hold the gun and had to rest it on something. Soon after he got that for my sis and I the family went to Arizona to see my grandparents. My mom had a 4 inch S&W stainless steel .357 686. We got to my grandparents and I was sat down for the gun safety talk and taught how to aim. -I could hardley hold the gun and had to brace it on my knees. Well we did that for an hour or two and the next morning...out to the range (meaning the "boonies") I did a few rounds with the .22 and then got to try my moms 686. My arms were sore from holding the big heavy gun for 2 hours the night before, plus the .22 earlier...So I ended up on my toosh, knees up and bracing the gun. I should prolly mention that I wear glasses and have my whole life (had some pretty sweet osh kosh be-gosh ones at the time...they rocked!) So my grandpa loaded me up with a .38 wad cutter. My mom sat behind me and put her arms on top of mine to help hold the gun. I aimed, and squeezed the trigger. IDK where I hit cause the gun fired, jerked up and hit me in the glasses and dented them (thank god they weren't glass!). My mom screamed I think...Can't remember...grabbed the gun and picked me up in 1 hand, spun me around to look at me....my dad ran forward as so did my grandpa. idk if my grandma was there or my sis...but they tell me I was turned around with a BIG grin on my face, my mom just about died and put her had on my face to feel for anything broken, my dad was looking at my face, and I looked right up at my grandpa and said "GRANDPA I WANNA DO THAT AGAIN! RELOAD!!"
And the rest is history!
Got my first shotgun for my 19th birthday as a HD gun for when I move out...and then I met my bf who has like 13 guns and that motivated me for more guns sooner rather than waiting till I was out of college.
I LOVE shooting! and always will! It is enjoyable but it also is about defense more than anything...knowing that I as a woman have an "up" on the avg bad guy is a comforting feeling!

Nemo
09-16-2008, 1:11 PM
I started shooting as a kid...few things were more fun than going out shooting with my brother and dad. He started us on his old .22 rifle and Colt Huntsman, then moved up to his 12 gauge (which left some serious bruises on me as an 8 year old girl--perhaps he was testing my toughness), his .38 revolvers, his .30-06 rifle.

When I moved away for college I didn't shoot much for a long while. Inheriting dad's guns when he passed away and getting involved in teaching womens' self defense rekindled my interest. And these days, shooting with my girlfriend, taking training courses together, and starting to compete in handgun shoots has been great fun.

GaryPowersLives
09-16-2008, 2:42 PM
My dad. He never shoots anymore, but in the early 70's he shot with me all the time. Mostly 22 rifle's, but back then, those guns were huge!! :eek:

movie zombie
09-20-2008, 8:21 AM
my father gave me a .22 rifle when i was 8...........

movie zombie

laughingdragons
09-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Years ago the place my mom was staying at a killer broke into. Luckily my mom was able to get out before the guy got to her.

So I've believed in having a gun for protection just hadn't bought one.

A few years ago my bf asked me if I wanted one...which of course I did.

He bought me one and he took me to a shooting range. I ended up liking it besides it being for protection. :)

Moonclip
09-21-2008, 3:39 PM
Most females but not all I have met that got in to the shooting sports were usually indroduced by a male family member or a boyfriend or husband. Sometimes the reason for being interested in the 1st place was taking responsibilty for their own safety.

Docmethod
09-21-2008, 4:28 PM
I've was introduced to guns when I was six, my dad has always been a hunter and he figured it was a good time to teach my to respect a firearm since they where in the house. Never looked back.

LadySmith
09-22-2008, 1:55 AM
I got into guns by deciding to get over my fear of them.

ShooterMcGavin
09-22-2008, 6:31 PM

Good for you! I wish more people took it upon themselves to do the same!

glockman19
09-22-2008, 6:34 PM
I shot a little when I was young with gramps and an uncle. I got into it when someone broke into my house at 5am.

kittycat
09-23-2008, 9:03 AM
Well I always wanted to shoot a gun and my bf took me. I shot a SAW M249. :) I fell in love. Now I'm shopping for another AR.

PolishMike
09-23-2008, 9:07 AM
blowing **** up.

/thread

CHS
09-23-2008, 11:09 AM

I just want to say, congratulations!!

I have met far too many women that carry an irrational fear/hatred of firearms. The worst part is, none of them have ever even been so much as in the same room as a gun!

Way to go and way to empower yourself!

Annie Oakley
09-23-2008, 11:41 AM
My dad taught me to shoot, but I wasn't very interested. Then I joined the army.

In my second week of basic training, I was isued my first M16. I learned how to field strip it and clean it and then we learned to just sight it. That's when I had trouble. My hair was very long and I had trouble putting it up and keeping it under my helmet. And when I would try and sight it, my helmet would fall over my eyes and then the drill sergeant would hit me in the helmet with a cleaning rod and omg, I wondered why in the hell was I there.

After that day, I talked to my drill sergeant and he gave me permission to go to the beauty shop. I told to the lady to chop it off while I closed my eyes so that I wouldn't cry. When she was finished, I almost fainted, there was my beautiful hair all over the floor. Anyway, the next time I went to the range, I adjusted my helmet to fit better, and tightend down my chinstrap and then remembered what I learned from my dad. My first shot totally surprised me. This was not my .22, and it hit me in the nose. As I was gathering myself after that surprise, a range sergeant saw me just laying prone and not shooting. He then came over and stood by me, where all I could see was his freshly shined boots. It was so such an intimidating moment. I had never shot anything like that. Anyway, he was a little forgiving in his own way, and he helped me get used to shooting.

After several days to the range and thousands of rounds, it became second nature to me and I ultimatly qualified as an expert. So, that's my first experience with real shooting.

Chris M
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I used to plink with a .22 rifle with my dad as a kid. Parents were divorced when I was about 14, and I just sort of fell away from firearms, and stuck to fishing.
16 years later (2 years ago), my brother calls me up and asked if I'd like to give hunting a shot. A month later we passed the hunter safety course, I bought my first firearm - a Remington 700 .30-06 from a member on this board, and since have purchased several more firearms, including one for my wife, and one given to me by my father (20ga Winchester Model 12 made in 1914).

Moonclip
09-23-2008, 5:46 PM
My dad taught me to shoot, but I wasn't very interested. Then I joined the army.

In my second week of basic training, I was isued my first M16. I learned how to field strip it and clean it and then we learned to just sight it. That's when I had trouble. My hair was very long and I had trouble putting it up and keeping it under my helmet. And when I would try and sight it, my helmet would fall over my eyes and then the drill sergeant would hit me in the helmet with a cleaning rod and omg, I wondered why in the hell was I there.

After that day, I talked to my drill sergeant and he gave me permission to go to the beauty shop. I told to the lady to chop it off while I closed my eyes so that I wouldn't cry. When she was finished, I almost fainted, there was my beautiful hair all over the floor. Anyway, the next time I went to the range, I adjusted my helmet to fit better, and tightend down my chinstrap and then remembered what I learned from my dad. My first shot totally surprised me. This was not my .22, and it hit me in the nose. As I was gathering myself after that surprise, a range sergeant saw me just laying prone and not shooting. He then came over and stood by me, where all I could see was his freshly shined boots. It was so such an intimidating moment. I had never shot anything like that. Anyway, he was a little forgiving in his own way, and he helped me get used to shooting.

After several days to the range and thousands of rounds, it became second nature to me and I ultimatly qualified as an expert. So, that's my first experience with real shooting.

Wow, I thought I was dedicated to shooting! This is only topped by what the mythical Amazon women did to improve their bow shooting!!!

eagleboard
09-23-2008, 6:00 PM
went into a gun shop in 1999. they had ar's all over the walls.the guy behind the counter says 'get one now or forever not to own a good piece'. i took out a small loan the gun shop offered and bought my first.a reg preban colt ar.im now glad the guy wasnt BSing me.:D

ChibiPaw
09-23-2008, 6:12 PM
Just had exposures to it, some friends took me out plinking when I was little. Then I remember this older lady who was teaching me some american cooking , had a room with wall full of guns. I asked about them, and if they were loaded. She told me they were, and coyote is a constant problem for them. We chased off some that very night.

These days is a combination of something I just like doing since it gets my min d focused on something enjoyable rather than the work work work. There's a bit of a self sufficiency needs too.

Annie Oakley
09-23-2008, 7:12 PM
Wow, I thought I was dedicated to shooting! This is only topped by what the mythical Amazon women did to improve their bow shooting!!!

I would have gone AWOL first. :p

masameet
09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
I was an Army brat. But hated Dad. Never saw him shoot. But I remember one time as a teenager we had to go with him for some training up at Ft. Lewis, Washington. When I learned he failed his shooting, I laughed. At least that time he didn't take out his frustration on us. Never ever thought about owning a handgun. Later found his S&W .38 Special. Loaded it and carried it around with me for a day. Wasn't a good time. Mom had returned from the hospital after her near fatal stroke. She was crippled and Dad would hurt her. Couldn't get him to stop and then he started acting like he was going to hurt me again. Unbelievable how the memories of long forgotten pain and shame and anger could well up so strong in a person decades later.

Anyway now that he's dead, I've found myself reveling in a new-found love for life. Love for life -- that's kinda funny. Learned how to ride a motorcycle and found I'm a pretty decent rider. Love riding my bikes. Now I can't say I love shooting handguns. But I enjoy trying to learn to shoot well. Kinda reminds me of learning to bowl. Shooting requires concentration and thought. And of course control. And then the sensation of having the handgun go off in the hand. And smelling the gun powder and maybe getting wacked by some hot brass. I like it all.

CSACANNONEER
09-26-2008, 4:03 PM
I was born.

Dragonfly
10-31-2008, 9:02 PM
I first shot a gun (revolver) when I was 8 years old...My mom made my father take me out with the boys (my younger brother, and two younger male cousins)...Years later when I was in my late teens, my best friends dad taught us how to properly hold a gun. And then I taught my husband to shoot and was then "forbidden" to shoot with him (I was a better shot). He will never admit that I taught him to shoot, change the oil on our cars or how to boil water. lol
After that marriage was over, I started a list of goals which were either self improving or something I have wanted to do for years. And because of my new found self-esteem, I took a leap and jumped into competition shooting. (I don't do well at matches but my goal is self improvement not besting someone else.)

That's the short version.

1859sharps
11-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I know the question was for the ladies, but how I got into gun/shooting is relevant.

With all the stories of how dad/brother/uncle/grandfather/boyfriend got someone into shooting. Thought I would throw out it was my mom who encouraged my interest in shooting/guns.

movie zombie
11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
good role model, your mom!

movie zombie

nick
11-01-2008, 9:29 PM
My girlfriend got into shooting by pushing me to buy a gun and teach her how to shoot. At first, she only wanted to learn it as it's a useful skill to have, but now she loves it.

Steyrlp10
11-07-2008, 5:44 AM
Howdy!

In my former life, I wanted to be good enough to earn a spot on the US Shooting Team. It was a great excuse to travel around the country and meet some of the nicest people.

In my present life, I split my free time between casual pistol competitions and bass fishing. I met the dream of my life who carried a Springfield 1911 as a duty weapon, and he promised to always clean my guns, so how could a girl resist???

Since you were interested enough to ask all of us how we got into shooting/firearms, how about yourself? What got you interested?

SilverMaiden71
11-07-2008, 9:58 PM
My Grandad shoots trap with a pistol....so it must run in my blood. I didn't actually fire a gun myself untill my bf (now fiancee) took me to shoot trap on our second date. Now he's in school to be a gunsmith and building me a rifle for a wedding present. What more could a girl ask for?

M. Sage
11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I know the question was for the ladies, but how I got into gun/shooting is relevant.

With all the stories of how dad/brother/uncle/grandfather/boyfriend got someone into shooting. Thought I would throw out it was my mom who encouraged my interest in shooting/guns.

Hah, the first two handguns I shot still belong to my mom. She also used to hunt deer.

Biff...
11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
With me my interest was sparked when I was 7 yrs old. My dad bought me a replica garand, looked and felt like the real thing. I recall how I felt playing soldier, guarding my home. That feelin never left me, funny though it wasn't until recently did I come around and buy a Springfield M1A Scout, not exactly the same as the Garand but close enough.

Moonclip
11-09-2008, 3:46 AM
My Grandad shoots trap with a pistol....so it must run in my blood. I didn't actually fire a gun myself untill my bf (now fiancee) took me to shoot trap on our second date. Now he's in school to be a gunsmith and building me a rifle for a wedding present. What more could a girl ask for?

What kind of pistol is your grandpa using to shoot trap?

Kid Stanislaus
12-23-2008, 3:57 PM

Boy, I really like that. :)

rimfire17
06-14-2009, 8:16 AM
There were guns in the house from the time I can remember and I always loved them. I especially liked it when my Dad pulled them all out and went into a major cleaning mode. The smell of Hoppes still takes me back.

When I was about 3, I got a cork gun. I remember my Dad insisting I not point it at anyone. For my 4th birthday, I asked for a set of cowboy six-guns (caps) and a tea set. I was an odd little girl!

I asked him for years to take me shooting, but he was old school (and busy) and didn't think girls should go shooting.

He's since changed his mind. :-)

However, when I got old enough I bought my own guns. He realized how serious I was and actually gave me an old Ruger Standard .22 I had always admired.

I've now acquired most of his collection by either wheedling it out of him or paying him for a few select pieces.

So, if you have daughters, take them shooting!

Gunslingergirl
07-06-2009, 5:21 PM
What got me interested in guns? Video games, I enjoy playing first person shooters and always wondered how guns work in reality.

scr83jp
07-06-2009, 8:36 PM
All of my italian uncles were hunters & fishermen ,I wanted to do the same but was supressed by over protective parents.I finished HS & enlisted in the USAF.After separation I bought a couple of long guns for hunting.Enrolled in college graduated with a bs in wildlife mgt but ended up as a probation officer,then I started buying & shooting rifles,handguns & shotguns .

Shantel
07-07-2009, 1:02 PM
So, as a male shooter, I'm always curious what drives women into the shooting sports. I've always tried to get the women that I know in my life interested, but it seems most just don't have fun.

Obviously we have a better breed of female here on this board! :)

So yeah, how did you first get interested?

How many of you got involved because of a parent or significant other? How many of you discovered guns on your own?

Do you enjoy shooting? Or is it more out of defense than anything else?

Hm, well I first got interested about a year and a half ago. The boyfriend kind of introduced me to the nicer side of firearms, so to speak haha. He has always been into the more expensive hobbies so I wasn't too thrilled when he picked up on firearms. However, I couldn't get mad because at least he has passion. He took me to a shooting range (mind you, I've always wanted to go to see the big hype) and I was too scared to shoot. Firearms always scared me because they are very powerful and its intense to have something like that in your possession. He ended up forcing me to shoot a P226 Sig 9mm and I LOVED it. It still scares me.. but the thrill is so worth it.
Yes, I do really enjoy shooting. I want my own Sig 9mm now. Its also a great thing to know how to shoot just in case I need to defend myself or my family. I still have MUCH to learn but I'm willing and ready. (:

smokinggun
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
My dad got me into shooting occasionally. He shoots trap and skeet at the local range, just not as often as he used to. We also would shoot in a neighbor's yard.

However, I'm still a little wary of rifles with lots of recoil, because i accidentally bruised my collarbone when a shotgun banged it as a little kid. I'm still a tad nervous when shooting.

CHS
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
My dad got me into shooting occasionally. He shoots trap and skeet at the local range, just not as often as he used to. We also would shoot in a neighbor's yard.

However, I'm still a little wary of rifles with lots of recoil, because i accidentally bruised my collarbone when a shotgun banged it as a little kid. I'm still a tad nervous when shooting.

You sound like a future handgun collector! :)

movie zombie
07-18-2009, 12:44 PM

i'm particularly nervous about this, too, was given a rifle when i was 8 years old.....and fired some of my dad's as well....which made me very cautious about recoil....perhaps too much so. what i'm finding is that the more i shoot the more i can handle with handguns.

rifle recoil worry: i bought myself a nice marlin 1894CP .357 with an 18.5 inch barrel and i gotta tell you that all my worries were for naught: it is an absolute dream to shoot! the big plus is i can also use almost all my .38 and .357 ammunition through it, too. [i have a lot of revolvers in that calibre!]

mz

The Clarkes
07-23-2009, 1:24 PM
I had a boyfirend a while back whose father took us out shooting every so often. I've always liked shooting for sport since. Now im married to a United States Marine with a concealed weapons permit from another state and hes stresses the importance of being able to defend yourself. So now we are gonna get me a weapon and eventualy a concealed wepaons permit from his home state.

mmartin
09-04-2009, 8:35 PM
My dad always had guns, and that made my mom somewhat hysterical, so it was a high drama subject when I was little. he taught us to shoot a little pellet luger-look-alike so we'd understand safety, I might have been 7 or so. tried to teach me to shoot the derringer but I was never strong enough to pull the trigger.

didn't shoot after that until I was maybe 22, my then hubby and I came home to find the house burglerized... that made us think about what if we'd been home... and that made us go shopping for a shotgun. got to the shop, talked with the sales guy about what we wanted. he showed us a bunch, but when it came time to decide, he gave me the "well now the 20 gauge is is a nice gun for a little lady..." which naturally make me buy the 12. magnum.

learned to shoot trap so I'd know how to handle it... found out it was fun, and I was pretty good at it.

hooked.

trap, skeet, sporting clays.

married the new hubby, he does IDPA, IPSC. learning that too.

best part is teaching my never-shot-before girlfriends to shoot... THE best fun there is... watching their brains turn around, watching them get excited about it.

mmartin
09-04-2009, 8:40 PM
Do you enjoy shooting?QUOTE]

yep, it's cathartic. involves all the senses, it's physical, it demands focus and attention. besides, you get to shred stuff.

[QUOTE=bdsmchs;1529721]Or is it more out of defense than anything else?
that is without a doubt a motivator. it is what brings my friends to learn.

MissCellaFane
09-06-2009, 3:57 AM
I got into shooting because my mom did. lol. She and my father got a divorce and since it was just going to be me and her alone in the house most of the time (my younger brother is almost never home, always out with his friends), one of my mom's friends told her she should get a handgun for home protection. So...her friend took the both of us out shooting with some of his guns that he had and my mom ended up going down and buying her first handgun within a month. lol!

But I enjoyed going out and shooting so much, both with my mom's friend's guns and with my mom's gun, that I decided I wanted my own. I had the money for it, so I decided to get one. lol. Plus, I wanted to be able to own a gun so that if I were to move out, then I could take it with me and have protection.

I had never been against guns, though. It was always my parents who didn't want to have a gun in the house, especially when my brother and I were young. Me, on the other hand...I've always enjoyed first-person shooter video games and I did own a couple pellet guns beforehand. lol.