PDA

View Full Version : DURA-COTE AR?

X-NewYawker
09-16-2008, 6:55 AM
Those full DE and OD ARs that have duracoted -- owners -- do they hold up? I mean, the kryloned ARs in the sand box always look beat to death from the sand blasting there. How do your civvie guns hold up to range wear?

rksimple
09-16-2008, 8:21 AM
Dura coat is pretty resilient...much, much moreso than Krylon. It'll take range wear no problem, and then some.

arfan66
09-16-2008, 9:04 AM
The only place the DuraCoat has flaked off on my rifle is on the ladder style rail protectors. These are really pliable and I should have mixed in the flex additive to the DuraCoat (similar to what body/paint shops use on bumper covers & plastic fairings). This stuff's is very difficult to remove. I tried to scrape the camo paint off my scope & LaRue mount but found it was easier to rattle can it black :kest:

Jeff

12gauge12
09-16-2008, 9:13 AM
Once it cures completely, it holds up very well to wear. Make sure you use the correct amount of hardner. More hardner = flatter color :)
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/dlmonette/misc094.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/dlmonette/misc090.jpg

09-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I have several firearms that are Dura coated. My oldest is somewhere around 4 years old, so far I have been impressed. The Dura Coat has held up and the only firearm that shows any real wear is my M1A.

technique
09-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Everything I have duracoated has held up. Make sure who ever you take it to knows their stuff. Its all it the proper mixture. Some people try to skip out on the hardener to give it a "flatter" look, that's when you end up scratching your coat off. Not as much of a problem since the "tactical" colors came out.

One Shot, One Dropped
09-16-2008, 2:13 PM
I haven't duracoated anything I own yet, but, from what I've heard, you need to be patient and let it cure completely (almost a month). That's the only thing holding me back, the amount of time I would be without that gun...

Guntech
09-16-2008, 2:29 PM
Best thing out there for a camo or color finish IMO.

Fjold
09-16-2008, 2:38 PM
I haven't duracoated anything I own yet, but, from what I've heard, you need to be patient and let it cure completely (almost a month). That's the only thing holding me back, the amount of time I would be without that gun...

Buy another one to use while the first one dries and then switch them.

Mississippi
09-16-2008, 3:55 PM
I have seen pistols that the D. coat held up even to holster abuse. Good stuff IMO.

FMJBT
09-16-2008, 5:12 PM
Like others have said, it's all in the mixture. I've found that the recommended 12:1 ratio of DC to Hardener produces a very resiliant finish without excessive gloss. Along with mixture, surface prep is also very important. If the paint can't get a foothold, it doesn't matter how durable it is. I've had my 1911 finished with Duracoat now for about 3 years, and the finish has worn like iron. Only the internal surfaces of the slide rails show any appreciable wear. My AR-10 has been finished now for a few months, and has seen 6 trips out to BLM land and about 500 rounds through it. So far the only wear areas are where the charging handle latch locks into place, and a few dings around the forward edges of the ejection port due to some stove pipe jams. Those dings are about 1/32" deep into the metal as well, I doubt any finish would have stood up to that. :eek:

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/Tacticool_Rings.jpg

drawn
09-16-2008, 9:36 PM
I have a piece that has just reached cure maturity that will go through a few torture tests starting before the end of the month. I will post the results in the gunsmithing forum when I'm finished.