PDA

View Full Version : BCM Bolt carrier group?

gungrave
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
ok whats the difference between Regular BRAVO COMPANY BOLT CARRIER GROUP and a BRAVO COMPANY ION BONDED M16 BOLT CARRIER GROUP???which is better between those two BCG??? which would you guys get?? is it worth it to get ion bonded for my BCM mid length gas upper or just get the get the regular BCM BCG???

thanks

ChrisXD45T
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
The Ion Bonded BCG is just that, it's a BCG that has been refinished with a fairly new process called ion bonding. The specifics of how it is applied can be found doing a web search.
I personally don't think it's worth the extra money, have you ever noticed the finish wearing off on a parkerized BCG? Why does the finish need to be tougher if it stands up to hard use already? Some say it might be easier to clean, but I'm unsure if that's true. It doesn't make the rifle more reliable, and it's not a self lubricating finish like other specialty types, so I don't see the benefit out weighing the cost.
The standard Bravo Co BCG is a very good piece, one of the best out there now, and that's what will be going in my BCM mid-length upper when they are back in-stock.

gungrave
09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
thanks thats what i was thinking...im just wondering whats the difference and performance of those two BCG...i got my eye on the regular BCM BCG...thanks man...

ChrisXD45T
09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
From what I've seen and read there is no difference in overall performance as far as it's function in the gun is concerned. The only benefit of the ion bond on the BCG that I've heard some folks say, and this is split 50/50, is that it's easier to clean than a parkerized BCG. But I'm not impressed with that, for an extra $70 it better do more.

xrMike
09-16-2008, 9:19 AM
I personally don't think it's worth the extra money, have you ever noticed the finish wearing off on a parkerized BCG?Only on the 4 rails, or bearing surfaces, of my bolt carrier (where the carrier appears to slide/contact the inside of the receiver). That's about it.

ChrisXD45T
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Only on the 4 rails, or bearing surfaces, of my bolt carrier (where the carrier appears to slide/contact the inside of the receiver). That's about it.
Still goes bang though.
And you shoot a lot.

xrMike
09-16-2008, 3:03 PM
Still goes bang though.
And you shoot a lot.Oh I agree with you actually -- the amount of wear in those areas is very minor, and I don't think I've EVER had a failure of any kind in my rifle.

I wouldn't pay for a chromed or Unobtainium-coated bolt/carrier either.