PDA

View Full Version : GOOD GOD! What can i do to this thing?

what2be
09-15-2008, 8:49 PM
Anyone out there shoot a .458 socom? Holy moly, I finally got the chance to shoot it at the range today and it kicks like a mule. I cant believe it. I actually got a bruise on my shoulder allready. My friend said the same thing after he shot it, and he couldnt believe how much it kicked either.

I swear to god, after we put it down and shot the .223 AR we brought, it felt like shooting a pellet gun.

Im thinking a brake for sure, any other ideas?
What about brand recommendations for a brake? Ive heard great things about the surefire brakes.

I switched out the hydraulic recoil buffer tube to see if that would help, but it sure didnt seem like it did anything.

I would appreciate any suggestions..

BTW< we got so sick of shooting the .458 we starting shooting my .416 and even after 40 rounds of the .416, and running out of ammo except for the .458, neither of us wanted to shoot the .458 anymore.
So we packed up and left..

Timberland
09-15-2008, 9:17 PM
what kind of stock are you using?

ShooterMcGavin
09-15-2008, 9:57 PM
Start researching muzzle brakes. A good brake coupled with a recoil pad on your stock can do a lot to minimize the recoil from where it's at now.

ar15barrels
09-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Were you running the proper springs?
Those uppers are supposed to include extra power springs.
If you don't run the extra power springs, you get excessive recoil.
Some dealers sell the springs separate, but they are supposed to be included at the regular price.

C.G.
09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Start researching muzzle brakes. A good brake coupled with a recoil pad on your stock can do a lot to minimize the recoil from where it's at now.

+1. Pachmeyr pad made my Beowulf a lot more "shoulder friendly".

X-NewYawker
09-16-2008, 5:50 AM
Sell it.
Guns that hurt you should be sold. (that's one of my rules, like that guy who said he thinks god looking guns will always be good shooters. It may sound weird, but it is my philosophy. Take a gun to the range, and it makes you hurt, or bleed, and you're shooting it properly, sell it. There's too many guns and life is too short)
Unless you are a masochist.
There's enough pain just living in LA and paying taxes here.

ilbob
09-16-2008, 7:11 AM
a few years ago i participated in a shotgun match. 100 rounds of bird shot ou of an 870 in maybe an hour. you would not think that would be a big deal. next day i wake up and I have a big bruise on my shoulder and it barely moves. some ice helped.

i never shot a socom but my Swedish Mauser has a good kick to it. it recoils straight back, virtually no list at all. about 20 rounds at a time is all I want to shoot of that.

Toolbox X
09-16-2008, 7:51 AM
Suck it up you pansy! ;)

Take a good look at your shooting stance. If your stance is not setup to allow some of the recoil to flow through your body, all of the recoil is going to slam into just your shoulder, which hurts!

This is a video of me rapid firing my 50 Beowulf. Notice how I lean far forward and the rifle is pressed firmly against my shoulder. The recoil is channeled through my shoulder and into my upper torso and legs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dofPOFM8i4k

Now watch these clowns. The way they are setup the rifle SLAMS into their shoulder, and all of the recoil energy goes nowhere except their shoulder. OUCH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sak1azVRBk&NR=1

While the proper stance will help tremendously, you cannot escape the fact that big bore rounds are really freaking big and are going to have a ton of recoil. Get a good recoil pad, work on your stance, and read up on what guys have done to reduce the recoil on these kinds of guns.

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 8:28 AM
Don't shoot heavy recoil guns from the bench or from prone.
If you do, your body takes all the energy.
Shoot big recoil guns standing up so you can move with the recoil instead of absorbing it.

chsk9
09-16-2008, 8:28 AM
that is a hellish, brutal gun that will only cause you pain... sell it immediately to me for $200.00 and get yourself a massage!

X-NewYawker
09-16-2008, 9:22 AM
Recoil standing + no pain.
500 A-square: 600 grain bullet at 2450 fps
150 pound shooter

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/BigFred500.jpg

bonjing
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
looks like you need some belt keepers

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
150 pound shooter

Lighter weight shooters don't get hit as hard by recoil.
They move more.
Us fat guys take it in the shoulder more. ;)

THE 0NE
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Suck it up!!!!!

technique
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
155lbs and 458 socom is my favorite round for the AR. Suck it up! I fire at least a few hundred rounds every time I take it out. Rapidly! no worse then a 12ga.

Try 405gr rounds. ( I reload and I make em hot!)

Reeds ammo has a great selection of ammo to choose from, SBR ammo has an even better selection!

mike22ca
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a .50 Beo w/ no brake and it doesnt bother me at all, I just make sure Im holding it really snug to the shoulder. Hell its more thrilling then anything :D

what2be
09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Were you running the proper springs?
Those uppers are supposed to include extra power springs.
If you don't run the extra power springs, you get excessive recoil.
Some dealers sell the springs separate, but they are supposed to be included at the regular price.

Yeah, it came with 2 other springs, and I called Rock river to see what the deal was, but they said asked what color springs were in the bag. After I told her, she said the one that was in it that was the correct one. I then asked why the other 2 came in the bag and she said it was just in case the right one didnt come in the gun. WTF? anyway, maybe I need to call back and talk to somebody else. There is a green one and a red one in the bag, and the one in the gun is gray.

BTW Randall, the charging handle kept getting knocked out of place as we shot. (became unhooked from the upper reciever) It didnt happen every shot but at least once during a 10 round mag.
Is that normal?

what2be
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Don't shoot heavy recoil guns from the bench or from prone.
If you do, your body takes all the energy.
Shoot big recoil guns standing up so you can move with the recoil instead of absorbing it.

Well, maybe thats half the problem, we were shooting from a bench, first at 50 yards to sight it in, then 100 yards to see what kind of group we could get out of it. Once I figure out this spring deal, ill take it out again and try standing and see how it is.

And yeah, the stock looks cool (tubular fixed stock) but there aint much too it. The gun is light, which makes the problem worse.

what2be
09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
155lbs and 458 socom is my favorite round for the AR. Suck it up! I fire at least a few hundred rounds every time I take it out. Rapidly! no worse then a 12ga.

Try 405gr rounds. ( I reload and I make em hot!)

Reeds ammo has a great selection of ammo to choose from, SBR ammo has an even better selection!

Using corbon 405 gr ammo. Havent reloaded any yet.

What the hell kind of shotgun you shooting? Because my FN SLP or my Benelli M4 with slugs or 00 are like kittens compared to my .458.

God Bless The Mauser
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Most heavy recoiling thing I have fired is my neighbors .300 Win. short mag. He has a Browning? semi auto rifle thats really really lite so it recoils even more. First round I fired was a flier because I didnt know what to expect in recoil but the rest were dead on. I was firing it prone too since he wanted it sighted in and thats the most accurate method I could do. Recoil is difinitely more noticible in prone. I can shoot my Mosin all day with the steel butt plate standing but prone I use a pad.

what2be
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
150 pound shooter

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/BigFred500.jpg

Wheres his target stapled at? The moon? If my goal was to just shoot the gun, i could have found alot more comfortable positions im sure. Let see him on the bench looking through optics.

what2be
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
what kind of stock are you using?

Its the stock Rock River arms stock. Its a tubular stock that looks way cooler than it works.

Fjold
09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Using the reloading data and a recoil calculator on-line;

The 458 Socom shooting a 400 grain bullet at 1800 fps in a 7.5 Lb (RRA) rifle the load generates:
A recoil impulse of 4.26 Lbs sec, a recoil velocity of 18.29 fps and recoil energy of 38.94 Ft/Lbs

The 416 Rem magnum in a 10 Lb rifle shooting a 400grain bullet at 2400 fps generates:
A recoil impulse of 5.68 lbs sec, an identical velocity of 18.29 fps and recoil energy of 51.92 ft/lbs

If you can shoot a 416 Rem Mag you should be able to shoot the 458 SoCom easier, if your technique is right. The gun fits you differently so you need to change the fit of the gun or adjust your shooting syle to make up for it.

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
BTW Randall, the charging handle kept getting knocked out of place as we shot. (became unhooked from the upper reciever) It didnt happen every shot but at least once during a 10 round mag.
Is that normal?

That's not normal.
There should be a postcard that tells you which sprring to run depending on what buffer tube length you have.
Heavy buffers may also help.

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Wheres his target stapled at? The moon?

The gun is in full recoil. ;)
I'm quite sure it started out baasically level with a target straight in front of him.

deleted by PC police
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
With that line of thinking, I would have to sell my smith 686. It sprains my wrist when I shoot full loads. Theres no way I'm selling it though.

Sell it.
Guns that hurt you should be sold. (that's one of my rules, like that guy who said he thinks god looking guns will always be good shooters. It may sound weird, but it is my philosophy. Take a gun to the range, and it makes you hurt, or bleed, and you're shooting it properly, sell it. There's too many guns and life is too short)
Unless you are a masochist.
There's enough pain just living in LA and paying taxes here.

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Let see him on the bench looking through optics.

You don't shoot heavy recoiling guns with scopes because the scopes smack you in the face.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TXlrU6E_JX8/RrAwFuJwYJI/AAAAAAAAADM/JFS2kDYaQ2M/P1010368.JPG

what2be
09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
You don't shoot heavy recoiling guns with scopes because the scopes smack you in the face.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TXlrU6E_JX8/RrAwFuJwYJI/AAAAAAAAADM/JFS2kDYaQ2M/P1010368.JPG

Yeah, many years ago I got that lesson shooting my friends 300. Gave me a nice bleeder above my eyelid. After one of those you make sure you aint up on the scope when you pull the trigger.

what2be
09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
The gun is in full recoil. ;)
I'm quite sure it started out baasically level with a target straight in front of him.

LOL, okay, im kinda slow sometimes. makes sense..

what2be
09-16-2008, 1:03 PM
That's not normal.
There should be a postcard that tells you which sprring to run depending on what buffer tube length you have.
Heavy buffers may also help.

Yeah, the postcard says the red spring is for a car stock, and the green for a standard. Red has 38 coils, green has 42. It also says to put the colored portion of the spring on the buffer end. I never new springs had different ends (or I never paid attn) Are all buffer springs this way? More importantly, what the hell spring is in the gun? I should have never trusted the dimwit at Rock River. But on the other hand, its not like this is a kit gun or a upper I bought, it was a complete Rock River gun, you would assume they put the right spring in it from the factory. In fact, WHY WOULDNT THEY????

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 1:08 PM
Yeah, the postcard says the red spring is for a car stock, and the green for a standard. Red has 38 coils, green has 42. It also says to put the colored portion of the spring on the buffer end. I never new springs had different ends (or I never paid attn) Are all buffer springs this way? More importantly, what the hell spring is in the gun? I should have never trusted the dimwit at Rock River. But on the other hand, its not like this is a kit gun or a upper I bought, it was a complete Rock River gun, you would assume they put the right spring in it from the factory. In fact, WHY WOULDNT THEY????

Stock springs are usually gray or golden brown.
The reason they did not put the right spring in is that the lowers are built separate from the uppers, with little regard for what upper will be placed on the lower.
The springs were sent along because they are important.

Most buffer springs have a closed end and an open end.
You slide the closed end on to the buffer.

technique
09-16-2008, 1:38 PM
Green spring= rifle
Red spring= Carbine

I think

03A4
09-26-2008, 6:03 AM
Hi I have the Enidine Hydraulic buffer in my beowulf with the magpul ctr stock and a break. Yeah it kicks, but so what it's just to much fun to not shoot it. After about 140 rounds though the shoulder does get sore. Anyone have a suggestion on a good recoil pad? I tried 2 and they just dont seem to fit tight enough with and without the Rubber butt pad.