PDA

View Full Version : Building a Varmint AR

dwh100
09-15-2008, 8:10 PM
I just got a great deal on a LRB AR15SA lower and upper on a group buy on M14 firing line. I have been contemplating putting together a varmint/target rifle. I will be putting the complete upper together from scratch. I'll probably be using a 20" or 24" barrel, but I have been having a tough time finding choices for freefloat handguard tubes. I've seen the Rock River and the Hogue tubes. Can you fine folks recommend or point me towards some other varmint/target handguard tubes. Any pics would be great too!
Thanx!

Lateralus
09-15-2008, 8:30 PM
www.whiteoakarmament.com

Nuff said. I own their 24" match upper and I wouldnt trade it for the world.

One Shot, One Dropped
09-15-2008, 8:34 PM
V-TAC (Viking Tactics) Rail!

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/Vtac15D2ws.jpg

They come in carbine, mid and rifle length and allow you to mount rails wherever you need them (or not if you don't). They are rigid, look nice and weigh nothing...

NRAhighpowershooter
09-15-2008, 8:44 PM
My Varmit rig tat I built up myself from parts
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82190

aplinker
09-15-2008, 8:51 PM
DPMS has about 10 different ones. Just use the search term "tube"

If I were building my own now, I'd go with the VTAC for flexibility and capability.

On the other side, I rarely touch my varmint forearm as I shoot bench or prone almost exclusively with it. It's a 24" BB and intended to be heavy (and accurate). If I had to do it again I'd go with a heavy barrel over the bull, might go with 20" and a forearm I can use. Then I could field it, as well.

Then again, that's another build on my list anyways... :)

dwh100
09-15-2008, 9:13 PM
Great ideas guys! I think this will be mostly a bench or prone rifle, but I like the idea of keeping my options open. I'm just in the planning mode now, so all ideas are welcome. What works best for you guys?
Nice rig NRA!

cal3gunner
09-15-2008, 9:19 PM
I actually traded away a Hogue tube today. The rubber felt nice but I shoot 3 gun and the tubes like the hogue don't let the hot air out fast enough and once the gun heats up its not as easy to handle. This can be a problem if you are shooting a lot of varmints too I suppose. What ever tube you get I recommend you get something with holes or slots to let the heat from the barrel escape.
A cool tube I got a hold of recently is the PRI carbon fiber tube. I think it looks pretty cool and it weighs about nothing which is nice considering you will have a heavy barrel. Here is a link for that tube

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05_074_03&Category_Code=AR15_M16_FRMS

Another tube I've used that I really like is the JP/Vtac like the one above. These let the heat out pretty well and handle nicely. Here is JPs link for those

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4.php

I do really like the carbon fiber PRI tubes. There should be some of these brand new tubes up for sale this week on Calguns

aplinker
09-15-2008, 9:28 PM
Great ideas guys! I think this will be mostly a bench or prone rifle, but I like the idea of keeping my options open. I'm just in the planning mode now, so all ideas are welcome. What works best for you guys?
Nice rig NRA!

A better question is: what do you really intend to do with your rifle?

how far will you most often shoot?
what kind of ammo? do you load?
shooting positions?
will you carry it?
run and gun?

dwh100
09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I'll most likely be taking it to Angeles, Burro Cyn. and out into the Mojave, for bench and prone target shooting @ 100yds up to 400+?yds. I don't reload yet, but I do own a set of .223 dies and a RCBS Rock Chucker press. Just need the time to learn how to load cartridges.

Sniper3142
09-16-2008, 9:53 AM
For good free float tubes I'd look at:

- Larue
- Daniel Defense
- JP Enterprises VTAC

ar15barrels
09-16-2008, 5:31 PM
I'll most likely be taking it to Angeles, Burro Cyn. and out into the Mojave, for bench and prone target shooting @ 100yds up to 400+?yds. I don't reload yet, but I do own a set of .223 dies and a RCBS Rock Chucker press.

A basic $55 DPMS tube will do everything you need.
Until you get into mounting things on it (which you don't on a varmint build), the rails or customizable handguard systems don't gain you anything.
Take the $100 you save and buy some powder, primers and bullets.
Your net results on target will be MUCH better than if you had a cooler looking gun to post pictures of...

dwh100
09-16-2008, 7:32 PM
I hear you on the handguards. I don't really want to mount anything other than maybe a bipod to it. So... simple and cheap is probably better.

However, I'm really drawn to the VTAC.

I still need to acquire a few items before I start to learn to reload, and that won't be for a little bit in the future as life just seems to get in the way sometimes. I think I might acquire some books to do some learning in the mean time.

Thanx for all the ideas guys! Keep em rolling in if you can!

Sydwaiz
09-16-2008, 8:26 PM
Randall is right on, especially for what you want to do with it. I built a varmint AR on the cheap. DPMS 1-8 bull barrel, Model 1 slotted FF tube, and some other cheap or used parts. Only good thing I used was a Chip McCormick trigger. Barrel started out as 24" but was cut down to 20" immediately. Wears a crappy Krylon paint job too! She'll shoot dime sized groups with Black hills blue box 55gr soft points all day long. Plenty accurate for me and deadly for coyotes. Could probably do better if I worked up a load for it.