PDA

View Full Version : How to clock a muzzle brake w/ a crush washer?

gunsrfun
09-15-2008, 6:31 PM
Do I just keep cranking on it until I get the closed part of the brake where I want it?

bridgeport
09-15-2008, 6:59 PM
I make my own washers, and adjust the thickness to account for torque and position. It goes back to the old story about the guy using a wrench with a three foot cheater bar on the end... anything can be busted if torqued too tight. If you do not have a mill, you can easily remove some stock with a mill file... just keep it well chalked to avoid galling, and use a black marker like dykem to help read your cuts and keep them straight and true. Another way is to buy the correct thickness washer or double up on some thinner ones. Just food for thought.

gunsrfun
09-15-2008, 7:06 PM
Will I ended up using 2 of the old skinny peel washer extension I took off and a new crush washer on top of those. Only way to get it clocked where I want it.

basing110
09-15-2008, 7:21 PM
so im guessing that loc tite is not good to keep the brake where you want it? how do you clock a taperd brake?

gunsrfun
09-15-2008, 7:37 PM
The problem was that the sealed part of the brake was not lining up facing down. I wanted the sealed part down, so when I shot, I don't get a cloud of dust kicking up. Easier to hide from the zombies that way :TFH:

shark92651
09-15-2008, 8:47 PM
If you are using a crush washer then just keep turning it until it is indexed properly. Those crush washers are designed so that you can turn it at least 360 degrees and still have some compression to spare.

Addax
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I have used a peel washer set behind the crush washer to help with compensator installation/indexing.

If I ever need it, I usually end up using about 1/4 of the peel washer to get the desired results.

ar15barrels
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Do I just keep cranking on it until I get the closed part of the brake where I want it?

Yes.
Minimum crush is 1/4 of a turn.
Maximum crush is 1 1/4 turns.

Toolbox X
09-16-2008, 7:35 AM
I love crush washers :)