PDA

View Full Version : Troy folding sights - Why shape difference options?

Gryff
09-15-2008, 4:05 PM
Troy Industries' folding front sights are available in either M4 or HK styles for AR builds. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

http://www.troyind.com/front.html

odysseus
09-15-2008, 4:41 PM
I believe just preference on what sight picture you like. Some people really like the rounded styles better.

nazgulnarsil
09-15-2008, 5:15 PM
I personally like the rear peep sight to line up with a circle in front. seems intuitive to me in terms of getting a quick sight picture.

1911_Mitch
09-15-2008, 5:27 PM
The HK style was first.
The A4 was a modification.

They made the A4 'ears' sytle sight in response to some users having 'misaligned' front posts - meaning the front post is adjusted for correct POI, but it may not be in the center of the circle of the HK style sight. The eye wants to naturally center the circle frame, not necessarily the top of the front post.

nazgulnarsil
09-15-2008, 5:34 PM
that's odd, why would the front post be misaligned?

nobs11
09-15-2008, 5:41 PM

Your eye naturally centers the circle frame of the sight on the target. If the post is not at the center of the circle, the centering effect will not work. Notice he said "misaligned." It is not actually misaligned.

aplinker
09-15-2008, 6:07 PM

the front post is adjusted for POI within the circle. As such the post won't always be in the center for all shooters.

Dual circles are awesome for high-speed CQB... much faster, IMHO, than std sight picture. However, since it's not worked properly it will have a lesser improvement.

Even when using HK-style correct sights I was taught you use the circle/circle for CQB and the circle/post for anything beyond 100yds. Seems logical, too.

However, I believe the "real" way is to use the "halo" of the circle (circle of light surrounding the front circle) to determine if you're holding a consistent sight picture, then adjust the post to center.

I forgot to add... with non-HK sights I find it a nuisance rather than a benefit (though there is an argument that a closed circle "protects" the sight post better).

M. Sage
09-15-2008, 6:39 PM
The HK style was first.
The A4 was a modification.

They made the A4 'ears' sytle sight in response to some users having 'misaligned' front posts - meaning the front post is adjusted for correct POI, but it may not be in the center of the circle of the HK style sight. The eye wants to naturally center the circle frame, not necessarily the top of the front post.

First, how? The second front sight ears would give you a sight picture an awful lot like an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14...

1911_Mitch
09-15-2008, 6:44 PM
First as in the style that TROY produced first.

M. Sage
09-15-2008, 6:59 PM
Aha, that's what I was wondering.

a1fabweld
09-15-2008, 8:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with PRI HK style front sights? I'm going back & forth between them & the Troy's.