View Full Version : DIY GUIDE: Making your own Saiga Mags using Cheap Ak mags

09-15-2008, 3:00 PM
Ok, so Im not by any means a gunsmith, I have very little knowledge when it comes to gun smithing. The reason I made this was because I know there are other ways of converting the rifle, but I did not want to drill in a hole to bolt a feeding ramp, and i didn't want to weld the mags so I thought of something else!
So heres my story:
I bought a saiga 7.62x39 already converted with pistol grip and stock. It is 922r complain also for any FED friends watching. I wanted to find a way to make regular ak mags, which are pretty much a dime a dozen compared to saiga mags. So i bought some ak mags, metal ones, just because I thought it would be easier, and I took a look at them to see what the difference was here are some pics:
Saiga mag front lip
Close up of ak mag

As you can see the Ak mag as a gap missing in the front, where the saiga mag is molded straight across, when I inserted the ak mag into my rifle I noticed, the reason it wasn't feeding was because that front lip was absent, everything else was pretty much the same, And then this guide was born:

10-15 minutes for construction
Quick steel, metal epoxy ( I bought mine at walmart)
Rubbing alcohol
Sand Paper ( with a rough grit )
Metal AK mag
NOTE: I bought ak mag parts kits and made them only hold 10 rounds BEFORE inserting spring and follower, my mags are CA compliant as inside they have blocks PERMANENTLY prohibiting more than 10 rounds from being stored. If you do not own preban hicaps, dont make them, it is a felony, If you want to know how to make 10 rounders look it up, just make sure it is not a functioning mag until it is permanently fixed to 10 rounds.
Latex gloves

09-15-2008, 3:01 PM
Step One: Take your Ak mag body and sand the parts that you intend to fill with the metal epoxy, sand surrounding areas as well as pictured.
After you have sanded, use your rubbing alcohol, or other favored cleaner to remove any oil, or debris from the mag. Let mag dry.

Step Two: (this is where gloves come in handy) Cut off a SMALL piece of the quick steel, making sure you cut it straight so you the Grey and black material. Start needing the ball in your hands, roll it, smash it, until it is one uniform color, you will also feel it getting warm in your hands.

Step Three: You may leave the the follower up in your mag initially to get a perspective on how much to spread and where it should be, Remember you are mainly just bridging the gap between the feed lips in the front, so make sure you don't over use the epoxy.

Its ok if you use too much, after it dries you can sand it down like metal. As you can see in the picture, there is a little to much on my mag

Step Four: After molding the epoxy into place for 3-4 minutes, let the mag sit for an hour, so the epoxy can cure. ( Preferably 1-3 hours for best results)

09-15-2008, 3:02 PM
Step Five: Start sanding down the areas where there is to much. Continually test the mag for fit in your rifle. As soon as the mag locks into place and disengages smoothly from your rifle your are ready to test.
Should end up looking like this after sanding: ( i used another mag, cause I wanted to finish this tutorial, and diddnt want to wait to dry)

09-15-2008, 3:04 PM
Using snap caps, or (if you are in a safe shooting area, with hearing protection, eye protection, and muzzle pointed down range) live ammo, load up 10 rounds, and function test the mag for feeding, cycling each round through.

It should feed Perfectly into the chamber now!!!!!

Note if rounds still feeding to low and jamming, you need to "ramp" the epoxy more, if rounds feeding too high, sand down your bridge by small amounts

And here is the finished product!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/fireluvrandrew/th_MOV00607.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v708/fireluvrandrew/?action=view&current=MOV00607.flv)

Note: Cant see shells ejecting, but I assure you all 10 rounds fed perfectly, not one jam, and ejected flawlessly.

09-15-2008, 3:35 PM
Please let me know what you think!

09-15-2008, 3:43 PM
will the AK mags still work with AKs after this modification?

09-15-2008, 3:45 PM
Keep track and let us know how many rounds/mag changes the epoxy survives.

09-15-2008, 4:35 PM
Cool. Did you have to do any mods to the factory saiga mag catch or do the AK mags lock into place w/ no problem?

09-15-2008, 4:38 PM
I would be worried about heat.

09-15-2008, 5:16 PM
I think there's a reason Saiga 7.62x39 rifles don't use AK mags....

...thus I'm wondering if this is legal on the Saiga given 922(r) and 'sporting purposes' unless US mfgd 922(r) parts were added to the Saiga.

09-15-2008, 5:19 PM
Cool. Did you have to do any mods to the factory saiga mag catch or do the AK mags lock into place w/ no problem?

This looks like a way around installing an AK bullet guide into the Saiga, and won't fix the bigger magazine tab found on AK magazines. I just filed my Saiga mag catch until it just fits the AK mags.

Flat Broke
09-15-2008, 5:30 PM
While I always applaud innovation and DIY efforts, I have to ask why? What is the big aversion to adding a bullet guide to a Saiga? It's a simple operation, works well, and will allow you to use any AK mag as opposed to just the ones you doctor up. This mod is cool, but not practical if you're intending for this to be your SHTF rifle.

Again, I'm not knockin anyone, and applaud the effort and time taken to post this up.

09-15-2008, 5:32 PM
im on my phone so ill make this short
no catch mods
imperveous to heat ( torture test to come)
YES 922r compliant as previously stated
more later when i get home!!!

09-15-2008, 5:34 PM
Also yes! if someone wants to install a bullet guide for me im all ears :) this was because i diddnt want permanent damage