PDA

View Full Version : AR Upper Question

chevyboy_0
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a Half finished AR-15 that is in deperate need of an Upper, I have debated buying one or building one, and I thought who better to ask then the guys at calguns. So I have a Doublestar lower, DPMS parts kit and CAA 6-position stock, I love the look of the tactical style guns but want something I can shoot long distances with. I'm already planning on a Bipod, and was thinking of a 20-24" barrel. Does any one have any thoughts as too what I should do? I think it would be fun to build an upper myself but would it be cost effective over buying one? and would I need any special knowledge?

Thanks

aplinker
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
At minimum you need a vise, an action block and a barrel wrench (~$50 assuming you have a vise). It's not the same as building a lower, but it's not prohibitively difficult. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to

Buy the Stag, RRA or WOA... it will run you about $600. Building one would cost about the same, if you include the tool cost.

chevyboy_0
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd love to build one, cause I would know exactly what went into it and could make it custom, but then again I am still getting in to the whole shooting/AR scene as this is my first rifle I've bought.

BDH
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I recently bought a RRA DCM flat-top upper. The fit and finish is superb. 1 in 8 twist should be good for long range as well as close up. The removable carry handle makes it easy to mount a scope for long range or put the handle back on for match shooting. I will admit to one thing, I didn't think it would be as front heavy as it is. I'm thinking about putting the 3# weight in the butt stock for balance. I bought 2 receivers from Spikes, and the next one will be either a .22LR or a lighter weight upper with a 16" bbl for fun stuff.
Bruce

God Bless The Mauser
09-15-2008, 11:50 AM
If you do not have much experience working on guns you might be better off buying a complete upper. If you build one you will have to worry about headspace and buying the tools too.

chevyboy_0
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
What exactly is headspace?

ohsmily
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
What exactly is headspace?

Don't build your own upper.

Army
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
LOL :D

Well, he CAN take it to a 'smith to verify or set.

chevyboy_0
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I kinda have an Idea but I don't think its right, I was looking for a verification. Any way has anyone ever dealt with JT distributing? they have a bunch of Uppers at pretty good prices, but I don't know much about the quality

God Bless The Mauser
09-15-2008, 8:14 PM
I got a kit from JT and I'm very satisfied with it. I'm gonna get an M4 kit from them if i ever stop buying AKs. I have not really seen any negative stuff about them. JT is what I would recommend

aplinker
09-15-2008, 8:16 PM
J&T is a more respected bottom tier seller.

If you're building a varmint rig they should be ok. I wouldn't choose them for a combat carbine.

Gator Monroe
09-15-2008, 8:18 PM

Dittto ! (Build a FAL or Cetme insted LOL ...):eek: