PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean your barrel while at the range?

nikonuser
09-14-2008, 8:48 PM
I was just at the range this weekend and I saw a few shooters using hunting rifles cleaning their barrel after a few rounds or so. I am sure they do this to make sure they get the best accuracy from their rifles and reloads. My question is do we have to do the same for the AR15? How many rounds does it take before you start suffering inaccuracy from a dirty barrel?

technique
09-14-2008, 8:52 PM
Most bolt shooters do it as a "Break in process" others dont believe in it.

I don't do it with my AR, I hardly clean mine at all. Every few thousand rounds or so. But I'm not an MOA shooter.

aplinker
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
That, and many hunters shoot one box of rounds a year to make sure they're still sighted in - so cleaning before they go is for storage.

It takes a few hundred rounds for accuracy to drop.

sorensen440
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
no I dont clean at the range
I do bring a cleaning kit with me as its handy sometimes if something gets sticky on ya

ghost
09-14-2008, 10:48 PM
i clean mine at home.if youre shooting corrosive ammo then you should clean it at the range.

stphnman20
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
I clean mine right after the range. And at the range I just "punch the bore" once to make sure everything is good before shooting.

sorensen440
09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
i clean mine at home.if youre shooting corrosive ammo then you should clean it at the range.

yeah or even just windex it there if you live fairly close

sb_pete
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Could mean alot of things.
- Possibly a breaking in a barrel like technique said
- Possibly applying a barrel treatment like gun juice
- Possibly shooting corrosive ammo like ghost said
- Possibly just running a wet patch then dry patch to keep the barrel cool every few rounds with a thinner contour hunting rifle. I've talked to a guy doing this. I asked him why he didn't just wait a minute or two and he said he'd rather run a wet patch than do nothing. He only had one rifle with him :shrug:

- Another possibility is trying to get a clean bore zero. Although the barrel would not be cold, it would be clean which is at least part of what makes a clean, cold bore shoot slightly different from a warmed-up, fouled bore.

Sometimes I clean at the range when I know I won't have the time or inclination when I get home. Living in a small apartment, cleaning can be a bit of a messy, noxious process. If it's not too windy, a range bench can be a pretty convenient place to clean compared to my coffee table. :shrug:

chsk9
09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I run a boresnake on most of my stuff before I leave the bench.

Fjold
09-15-2008, 6:02 AM
A lot of accuracy obsessed people will clean at the range. I often see benchrest shooters clean after shooting the two sighters and one 10 shot group.

glockman19
09-15-2008, 6:45 AM
I generally run a bore snake at the range before leaving.

I went shooting Saturday and did not clean anything. I have 3 revolvers, 2 pistols and four rifles to clean.

xrMike
09-15-2008, 6:53 AM
I don't clean my stainless match AR barrel nearly as thoroughly or often as I used to. I only give it a thorough cleaning (which includes copper-removing foam, with several passes of a brass brush) maybe every thousand rounds.

All I do when I come home from the range is run ONE HOPPES-SOAKED PATCH through it, let that sit a few minutes, then run a couple of dry patches, to clean out the loosened powder and make sure all of the Hoppes is out of there, then a lightly-oiled patch and that's it, back into the safe she goes.

(I do clean the chamber and bolt carrier, bolt, etc. thoroughly every time.)

I used to clean my AR with a brass brush and foam cleaner after every range trip, but as an experiment, I stopped doing that for awhile and accuracy did not suffer one bit. So why bother, and why risk inflicting cleaning-related damage?

Crusader
09-15-2008, 7:29 PM
If I've shot corrosive ammo, I'll put a bore snake through the barrel a couple times and wipe off the bolt and breech really quick, then do an extremely thorough job once I get home.

m98
09-16-2008, 1:43 AM
I only mop up the bore between strings of 10-20rds in load/accuracy testings. If all I want to do send lead down range then no cleaning at all.