PDA

View Full Version : How Many is Enough?

Bukowski
09-14-2008, 7:38 AM
What's a life time's worth of AR's? With the current political climate and coming elections it is possible that the supply of lowers may be cut off in the future. I know Heller etc. and I'm not getting all :TFH: but I'm still kicking myself over stocking up on magazines rather than lowers before the last round of bans.

I'm sitting on 4 stripped lowers and just DROS'd another two yesterday from Ammo Bro's (great folks BTW) as well as two complete rifles.

Given the fact that lowers last a long time and I'm in my thirties, how many would be needed to keep three or four AR's going for perpetuity?

None of my guns are safe queens and all see an average of 300-800 rounds a month.

One Shot, One Dropped
09-14-2008, 7:42 AM
As many as you can afford to have...

hd0642
09-14-2008, 7:43 AM
ive only got 2 and 2 ak's and dont see myself getting anymore. its just a small percentage of my collection, nearing 100 pieces. im pretty good in the magazine dept though with 20 or so 30's and maybee a dozen 20 rounders for the ak ive got around 15 30 rounders and a 100 round drum, if anything id like to ad to the ak dept because of the pile of ammo im sitting on.

JHC
09-14-2008, 7:58 AM
For ARs the magic number is 2, one rifle and one carbine. AKs on the other hand can never be had in a great enough number.

VegasND
09-14-2008, 8:01 AM
The magic number is n+1 where n=the number you currently own.

Bukowski
09-14-2008, 8:03 AM
Ok so I have my two, how many lowers to insure I have those two forever even if I could never buy another.

I guess I'm asking, anybody out there wearing out or breaking lowers with any regularity?

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 9:32 AM
As a bare bones MINIMUM: Wouldn't it be prudent to have one complete rifle plus one complete lower (sans stock and grip) and one extra bolt carrier and group?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4573.jpg

And Rebar cutter, of course.

TonyM
09-14-2008, 9:38 AM
Ok so I have my two, how many lowers to insure I have those two forever even if I could never buy another.

I guess I'm asking, anybody out there wearing out or breaking lowers with any regularity?

If you break a lower, you're either doing something wrong or got a bad lower with a manufacturing defect.

Lowers are cheap, buy a few if you're into the AR platform. If something happened (highly doubtful) and they stopped the sale of lowers, they are very easy to make from 80% blanks if needed. Complete upper assemblies are more expensive and what wears out.

bohoki
09-14-2008, 9:48 AM
3 seems like a good number

nobs11
09-14-2008, 9:54 AM
One. And possible multiple uppers. You can wear out uppers, but the lower will not. Keep spare springs, etc.

Buy as many as you want, but also factor in the cost of keeping them secure. That means a safe, security system, whatever you need to do. If someone breaks in and takes them, your "planning for a lifetime" is out the window. Similarly, if an anti-gun law is passed that has no "grandfather" clause, you are out of luck. If there is ever a point in time that you can't buy parts to replace any broken gun parts, you can bet that you won't be able to own them in the first place.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-14-2008, 9:56 AM
I have 5 built up and I'm sitting on 9 stripped lowers and 6 0% forgings....

drclark
09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
It depends on the laws and whether or not you intend to remain a law abiding citizen.

If the current-cali ban were to be translated to a federal law, it wouldn't really matter how many lowers you currently have since, once you died, they would have to all be turned in if you wanted your heirs to remain law abiding citizens. If they were to pass a ban that had no grandfather clause and confiscated all semi autos, you would have to turn them all in or choose to become a felon.

You can only shoot 1 (maybe 2) at a time. You ought to have enough to equip one of every member of your family during SHTF. I would personally be more worried about stocking up on magazines and ammo as any ban that would be severe enough to require confiscation would also probably make ammo illegal to sell.

drc

SJgunguy24
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't belive in "enough" when it comes to firearms.

ghost
09-14-2008, 10:40 AM
until youre satified or when your wallet goes on a diet:D

nobs11
09-14-2008, 10:54 AM
It depends on the laws and whether or not you intend to remain a law abiding citizen.

If the current-cali ban were to be translated to a federal law, it wouldn't really matter how many lowers you currently have since, once you died, they would have to all be turned in if you wanted your heirs to remain law abiding citizens. If they were to pass a ban that had no grandfather clause and confiscated all semi autos, you would have to turn them all in or choose to become a felon.

You can only shoot 1 (maybe 2) at a time. You ought to have enough to equip one of every member of your family during SHTF. I would personally be more worried about stocking up on magazines and ammo as any ban that would be severe enough to require confiscation would also probably make ammo illegal to sell.

drc

Another sensible reply.

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
My wallet hit ghandi/Dick Gregory level a year ago -- and I can't stop!

Bukowski
09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
It's more a matter of funds allocation.

Right now I try to pick up one handgun a month and spend the rest on ammo. Buying more lowers = less ammo/ shooting time or holding off on the one-every-thirty days BS.

What I can see happening if McCain loses is the next day lowers climbing in price especially here in California.

I guess I'm trying to beat the rush without getting all :TFH:

From the sounds of it, I think I'll just add a lower to the DROS when I'm buying something else already, and stop worrying about mechanical failure of a pretty sturdy piece of the AR.

Thanks for all the input, I'm off to my bunker to rearrange my 10 year supply of canned beans....:43:

nobs11
09-14-2008, 11:16 AM
What I can see happening if McCain loses is the next day lowers climbing in price especially here in California.

Economically, this is not very sound even if McCain loses.

Investing in guns in general is not financially very sound. You can't predict the market, legal situation and now you have a piece of property that is very easy to steal and is like candy for thieves. So you have to invest in physical security. Personally, I prefer to invest in non physical and more liquid assets and just deal with inflation.

hk-p2000
09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
As a bare bones MINIMUM: Wouldn't it be prudent to have one complete rifle plus one complete lower (sans stock and grip) and one extra bolt carrier and group?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4573.jpg

And Rebar cutter, of course.

hey New Yawker what brand it's that

TonyM
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
hey New Yawker what brand it's that

Looks like the LMT to me.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=657

Matt C
09-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Similarly, if an anti-gun law is passed that has no "grandfather" clause, you are out of luck.

Can't have Ex Post Facto laws, when they start passing those, and ignore property rights, let alone the 2nd amendment, it's time to actually use said ARs.

sorensen440
09-14-2008, 11:41 AM
sounds like you have enough lowers till you have completed them all into full rifles
your not going to wear out a lower in your lifetime

sorensen440
09-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Can't have Ex Post Facto laws, when they start passing those, and ignore property rights, let alone the 2nd amendment, it's time to actually use said ARs.

+100

tommyid1
09-14-2008, 3:02 PM

i sea wat u did thar lol:D

09-14-2008, 3:52 PM
I guess you should get as many as YOU fell you need.

Guntech
09-14-2008, 4:12 PM
There wont be an all out ban on guns for a long time, a long time being until Obama and Biden take office.
Thanks for voting for them in advance :)

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 5:57 PM

What was the first AWB (and all gun bans laws) then when they said something you legally owned up to the date of the law was after that date ILLEGAL, unless you "registered" them? Those that didn't register them had legal property declared illegal after the fact (of their purchase)

No one started shooting back in 90.

When we should have.

Matt C
09-14-2008, 6:20 PM
What was the first AWB (and all gun bans laws) then when they said something you legally owned up to the date of the law was after that date ILLEGAL, unless you "registered" them? Those that didn't register them had legal property declared illegal after the fact (of their purchase)

No one started shooting back in 90.

When we should have.

Requiring registration for something is not a Ex Post Facto law... As much as I don't like it it's not going to be considered an infringement either, not is it really worth shooting over in itself. Governments long established and all that good stuff.

Bukowski
09-14-2008, 6:39 PM
That's what I'm most afraid of, "register what you got" followed by "no more for you". If some AW ban goes through I'm less concerned with gun confiscation than I am with being unable to purchase replacement lowers.

Some context: I have exactly ONE registered AW lower due to lack of foresight on my part. I don't take it out much knowing full well that at this time it's irreplaceable in California.

If/ when another ban comes this way I want to be ready.

Matt C
09-14-2008, 6:41 PM
That's what I'm most afraid of, "register what you got" followed by "no more for you". If some AW ban goes through I'm less concerned with gun confiscation than I am with being unable to purchase replacement lowers.

Some context: I have exactly ONE registered AW lower due to lack of foresight on my part. I don't take it out much knowing full well that at this time it's irreplaceable in California.

If/ when another ban comes this way I want to be ready.

Check it out, if we get incorporation;

"register what you got" = allowed

"no more for you" = not allowed

DedEye
09-14-2008, 6:45 PM

Love it :D.

I'd like to have 20+ ARs in various colors and configurations.

Yes, I said colors. I want to be able to accessorize with my wardrobe :chris:.

kris&bela
09-14-2008, 6:48 PM
One standard 20" and 2 x-tra uppers and that's good enough.

Prowler
09-14-2008, 7:03 PM
I believe four is the number. Two to use, two for spares and none are for sale! It's OK to have spare uppers in various configurations to interchange on the assembled lowers...:43:

Darklyte27
09-14-2008, 7:13 PM
I prepared for now anyways, Instead of buying 1 lower, i bought 2 at once. I only have 1 build for now, but the second lower will be for a std A2 type build.

Gota have my orig service rifle.

a1fabweld
09-14-2008, 8:12 PM
Whatever the number of lowers you own, if/when the oll door closes, you'll think "I should have bought more". I made it a rule to myself this year that with every gun I purchase, I'll get at least one lower with it (or 3) & I bought a few guns. They're cheap enough so buy as many as you can afford or makes you feel confident that you'll never run short. And you can build them up in all the different flavors. I doubt that in ten years you'll regret having a dozen lowers. With the prices of metals going up as rapidly as they are, hell, in ten years you may be able to recycle them for what you paid for them!

Blacktail 8541
09-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Couldn't have said it better! :iagree:

trinydex
09-15-2008, 9:35 AM

this is the mathematical description of a disease.