PDA

View Full Version : Covertly carrying your rifle during SHTF

GJJ
09-14-2008, 7:02 AM
In the event of a Katrina type or Rodney King type event, it may be necessary to have a way to covertly transport a rifle from your home to various locations (work, relatives house, ect...).

This is for times when you are not under direct fire or anything like that. You just want to get your gun, gear, and mags from point A to point B. The goal will be to not scream gun to a jumpy public.

I have heard people say they will use many things... tennis racket bag, golf bag, baseball bat bag, ect..

Have any of you considered this?

http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Master.htm

To a trained person, this backpack will scream gun. To an untrained person, probably not. Especially if the bottom "tail" is not extended. I am leaning towards this approach for the following reasons.

1. The main goal will be for it to not look like a gun scabbard.
2. The baseball bag will look out of place given what is going on. It might not be as covert as a person would think.
3. It would do the job better than any of the makeshift bags.

What do you think?

offrdmania
09-14-2008, 7:24 AM
I think those are a bit too obvious, you would need to be a little more covert
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/offrdmania/arviolin1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/offrdmania/arviolin2.jpg

RobT2K
09-14-2008, 7:33 AM
How are you going to carry a rifle in that bag without the tail being out?

GJJ
09-14-2008, 8:01 AM
On a small M4 like rifle, the top cover is enough to conceal the weapon.

You can see the top cover on the bottom of the gunslinger page

http://www.eberlestock.com/Gunslinger%20M%20Series.htm

Crusader
09-14-2008, 8:33 AM
I purchased a large military duffle bag/backpack from Cheaper Than Dirt that is tall enough to fit my SKS in and it doesn't print at all. That's what I'd use.

THE 0NE
09-14-2008, 8:34 AM
technique and i have been using that bag for about a year now great quality!!!!

ilbob
09-14-2008, 8:37 AM
A guy I used to shoot with now and then had a duffle bag that would fit a mini 14 quite nicely. He had pockets sewn on the inside of the bag for mags, ammo, and other accoutrements. Shoulder straps made for an easy carry.

Turbinator
09-14-2008, 8:51 AM
technique and i have been using that bag for about a year now great quality!!!!

Which model are you guys using? They have several.

Turby

nobs11
09-14-2008, 8:59 AM
Any long bag in OD green/camo or anything that is associated with the "military" is going to scream gun to pretty much anyone. Guitar cases are also not as covert as you think -- you are not the first person to get that idea. Everyone has watched the movies and can put two and two together. A cop friend of mine said that it is about how a person carries themselves that makes people suspicious. They are trained to observe cues. When I used to live in an apartment with nosy neighbors around, I would take my rifles apart and stuff them into a gym bag with a Nike logo. Even so one of my neighbors who knew I was a gun owner once commented: "Hey, you don't have any guns in there do ya? Ha ha."

BP88
09-14-2008, 9:09 AM
Guitar bag.

glockster
09-14-2008, 9:13 AM
While those are very nice packs and highly-rated, I think some people will figure it out. If you really think about it, one can get very creative to blend in out there when necessary and still be prepared while looking like an Average Joe.

As a matter of fact, Eagle Industries will be coming out with a very discreet looking daypack in the very near future that features a compartment for an AR-15 upper and lower receiver. I'll dig through my computer and find the pic.

drclark
09-14-2008, 9:42 AM
Depends on the type of SHTF your are talking about. If you are thinking "end of the world" mad-max style complete breakdown of government and society, I don't think what you carry your firearms in will matter.

If you are thinking post earthquake/natural disaster/civil unrest, I would assume that the area would be under some sort of evacuation/shelter in place/curfew orders. I would think anyone out and about on foot with any kind of large bag or container would draw suspicion from authorities (probably as a suspected looter). Any encounter with officials outside your home while carrying any sort of firearm at best will probably result in confiscation of your gun (and probably your arrest). Think about it. What would you think if you saw your neighbor out and about with a guitar case or golf bag after the next 8.0 earthquake?

So that being said, I think the best option is to pre-stage rifles and ammo and other survival gear at locations you might need to be (buisnesses, family homes, etc) and only CCW a pistol for defensive purposes if you need to go between locations. The next best option is a take down rifle or rifle that can be easily disassemled so it would fit in a somewhat "normal" size backpack or bag. An AK pistol might work pretty good as well.

drc

technique
09-14-2008, 9:43 AM
I have the gunslinger model, I wont be covert at all in SHTF;)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/ARs001.jpg

Which model are you guys using? They have several.

Turby

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 9:44 AM
Depends on the type of SHTF your are talking about. If you are thinking "end of the world" mad-max style complete breakdown of government and society, I don't think what you carry your firearms in will matter.

If you are thinking post earthquake/natural disaster/civil unrest, I would assume that the area would be under some sort of evacuation/shelter in place/curfew orders. I would think anyone out and about on foot with any kind of large bag or container would draw suspicion from authorities (probably as a suspected looter). Any encounter with officials outside your home while carrying any sort of firearm at best will probably result in confiscation of your gun (and probably your arrest). Think about it. What would you think if you saw your neighbor out and about with a gituar case or golf bag after the next 8.0 earthquake?

So that being said, I think the best option is to pre-stage rifles and ammo and other survival gear at locations you might need to be (buisnesses, family homes, etc) and only CCW a pistol for defensive purposes if you need to go between locations. The next best option is a take down rifle or rifle that can be easily disassemled so it would fit in a somewhat "normal" size backpack or bag. An AK pistol might work pretty good as well.

drc

+ 1 on Dr. Clark's prescription

glockster
09-14-2008, 9:48 AM
The current Eagle Backpack can be seen here:

http://http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16214&cat=28&page=1 .

The new one will be longer and will have a compartment that seperates the upper and lower.

technique
09-14-2008, 9:48 AM
If you would like detailed pics of the bag before you buy one, I would be more then happy to post some. Rest assured I am very hard on my gear, This company makes quality gear. I have yet to break it.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/PhantomandGunslingers.jpg

GJJ
09-14-2008, 9:50 AM
Thanks drclark. My intention would be for a post earthquake type scenario. You are not in the heat of a battle. But, you don't know what could happen. Chaos. But, not Mad Max.

I would agree a guitar case would not be covert at all.

technique
09-14-2008, 9:52 AM
On a small M4 like rifle, the top cover is enough to conceal the weapon.

You can see the top cover on the bottom of the gunslinger page

http://www.eberlestock.com/Gunslinger%20M%20Series.htm

With an M4 you wont need the top cover. The cover is for longer guns, the M4 sits right in there, I have walked a few blocks down a busy street with my gun in the bag and never got a second look.

GJJ
09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow! They want $215 for the Eagle backpack. That is crazy.

You know what else might work well if you are willing to disassemble your rifle - a suitcases on wheels like you use for carry on items on a plane.

M. Sage
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
If I think I'm going to need a rifle, and am going to carry one instead of relying on a handgun (much faster to deploy than a rifle in a case), I'm just going to sling it up and just carry it tight to my body so it's not obvious at a glance. If the poop has gotten that thick, I'm not going to worry too much about being obvious, I think.

Not if it's as good as it seems to be. This should be pro-grade gear, and that's never cheap.

chsk9
09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
that is 'sage' advice... if the S has really hit the F then you're not going to want to call a time out while you unpack your rifle... IMO

sorensen440
09-14-2008, 11:35 AM
in that situation I am either not going to care if people see that im armed or Im going to stay put and live off the preps ive made prior to

1911_Mitch
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
African carry (its a sling method)

odysseus
09-14-2008, 12:04 PM
These bags scream "rifle". You don't have to be that knowledgable to guess that. If you are trying to be "covert" among regular people, this is not going to do it for you well.

As for the topic on SHTF, as someone else said - depends what kind of SHTF you are talking about.

Certainly if all hell breaks loose it might not matter. However in a disaster Katrina-like situation where everyone is in a state of panic and mass confiscations just for even legally having one on you are happening, these bags are going to get you zero'd. If you want to blend, blend.

I hope no one here has to be in that situation.

technique
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree the eberlestock bag is not covert, SHTF who's thinking covert?

eltee
09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/eltee49/G36/GuitarCase001.jpg

Frijolito1988
09-14-2008, 12:18 PM
i will be using my 2 guitar gig bags 1 violin case and big guitar hard case that says FENDER on the side lol

id be rolling around like these guys, i think one of them modified the rifle to shoot inside the guitar case with the push of a button, and the other one put a rocket launcher lol

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/frijolito1988/desperado2-3.jpg

triggerhappy
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM

You know what else might work well if you are willing to disassemble your rifle - a suitcases on wheels like you use for carry on items on a plane.

Plus, you'll look like a guy whose wife just threw him out, so you'll get extra pity points, and NO ONE will screw with you...

Toolbox X
09-14-2008, 1:36 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/Rifles/IMG_8281.jpg

I made a new thread specifically about this project.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1524230#post1524230

ilbob
09-14-2008, 1:38 PM
I think anything not real obvious will be ignored by most people, especially if they have other things to worry about. i would bet a lot of people will be wandering about with bags and suitcases and other containers of all descriptions in such a case.

chsk9
09-14-2008, 2:06 PM
i will be using my 2 guitar gig bags 1 violin case and big guitar hard case that says FENDER on the side lol

id be rolling around like these guys, i think one of them modified the rifle to shoot inside the guitar case with the push of a button, and the other one put a rocket launcher lol

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/frijolito1988/desperado2-3.jpg

I did not see one moment of CCN/MSNBC/FOX hurricaine coverage with the three amigos with guitar cases rolling down the street unnoticed. giving it some thought we should all have a old, jacked up shopping cart and some blankets... that will go unnoticed!

GJJ
09-14-2008, 2:17 PM
The scenario I see is one similar to the Rodney King riots. I was in Orange County. Nothing was going on here. But, LA was a mess. You want to have access to your gun without looking armed.

If it happens again, I just bought a blue 30" Reebok rolling duffle bag at Target. I looks like a medium sized sports bag. My Mini-14 fits in it perfectly (disassembled) along with a chest rig and spare ammo. I think that would blend in more than the proverbial guitar case. During a crisis, you see people with suitcases and bags. Not so much with violins and electric guitars. I am just saying...

It will be perfect for getting my gun from the parking lot to work and back without looking like I am armed to the teeth. I have a small office that is very gun friendly.

rayra
09-14-2008, 2:24 PM
Music Keyboard bag
http://www.wwbw.com/Gator-GKB61-Tough-Keyboard-Bag-i145457.music

Guntech
09-14-2008, 3:17 PM
Why the hell would you go to work during Katrina or a Rodney King scenario. I'd be barricaded in my house locked and loaded.

BillCA
09-14-2008, 3:19 PM
Well, let's see here....

1. S has hit the rotating air mover
2. You want to travel - check on family, evac, whatever.
3. You want to covertly carry a rifle.
4. You are not carrying a handgun (or it's packed away too).

Then this gives us:
A. The requirement to deploy a workable long gun.
B. Eliminates any method that requires weapon disassembly.
C. Eliminates methods that preclude a magazine inserted.
D. Some way of reducing the visual signals that say "gun"

This tells me that your long gun should have a folding or collapsible stock of some kind. Your carry container needs room for a [10 round] magazine. That your carry container should not look like a gun carrier, be camo covered or have external mag pouches.

If SHTF in a big way, most people will be more concerned with their own affairs than the fact you're getting into your car with a rifle. If it's so bad that LE is unable to respond to calls for help and anarchy reins, it won't matter if you hide it or not.

If we're talking a 'quake/Katrina situation, then any contact with LE will be "high risk" for you, should the container be spotted and look different to them.

As Dr. Clark mentioned, pre-staging long guns where you need them to be would be more prudent. Not always possible with 'quakes though.

The simplest method I can think of is this:
a) Put gun into gun bag
b) Drape over the bag a brightly colored afghan, quilt or blanket.
c) Gather up bag, blanket and 1-2 pillows and take to your car.
d) Lay rifle on back seat in unzipped case, covered by blanket & pillows. Be sure it hides all.
e) Add light sleeping bag roll on top or some spare clothes.

Now your back seat looks like someone in a hurry to evac. Sleeping gear and clothes.

Personally, I'd hide them in the trunk and carry two handguns about my person instead, to keep a low profile.

M. Sage
09-14-2008, 3:20 PM
Why the hell would you go to work during Katrina or a Rodney King scenario. I'd be barricaded in my house locked and loaded.

Well, if home wasn't at risk (in Pacifica!?), I might consider heading to work to protect my tools... and my job, as long as I'm there.

rick1881
09-14-2008, 4:01 PM
If your in San Diego you can't just hump it out of town. Buggin out has to be done well in advance of a SHTF situation, like 3 or 4 days and in a car or truck.

Barricaded in my house during the fires is not an option.

Guntech
09-14-2008, 4:25 PM
Well, if home wasn't at risk (in Pacifica!?), I might consider heading to work to protect my tools... and my job, as long as I'm there.

A lot of places in the hills to hide here though.

Full Clip
09-14-2008, 4:29 PM

I don't remember a lot of single family homes being looted and burned during the '92 riots in LA... But I do remember business owners protecting their property with firearms.
http://libcom.org/files/la%20riot.jpg
When they could...

Riodog
09-14-2008, 5:02 PM
Simple, simple, simple, now pay attention.
Rifle must have a sling for this to work.
Take off all your clothes except for your shoes and sox.
Put rifle over right shoulder hanging by sling.
Put on over coat and tighten belt.
Fill pockets with extra mags and such.

All done. anyone see you walking around like that and trust me, they won't be thinking about some damn gun.
Rio

VegasND
09-14-2008, 5:08 PM
I read down this thread and I just don't get what it's really all about. Most of you talk about how you try to keep a low profile on gun ownership in CA, so you've already got techniques you feel helps keep others from noticing you have guns.

If the SHTF and you didn't want others to know you had a rifle, wouldn't you just do what you do now? And, if the SHTF and you wanted others to know you were armed, wouldn't you just openly carry it?

If there is some nuance to the end of the world unique to the California experience, please enlighten me.:confused:

4 Brigada
09-14-2008, 5:14 PM
I dont know but If I want it to be covert, I wouldnt be posting pics to give the LE community ideas and due cause. Or you think that there arent "crows" in here picking up intel.

UncleJohnny
09-14-2008, 5:43 PM
My range bag is a slightly larger than normal molle back pack. I undo the upper from the lower and store them inside the bag. It only takes about no more than five seconds to attach the upper to the lower and push in the pins.
No one can tell whats in there.

miles2912
09-14-2008, 5:51 PM
If it hits the fan, the more people that know I have a rifle the better. F- caring in a bag or case??? I am gonna have it slung low.

God Bless The Mauser
09-14-2008, 8:06 PM
SHTF situations are part of why the 2A exists. Why try and hide your firearms. The police are counting on people to just give in. If everyone refuses confiscation they are not going to be as willing to try it. The 2A is also to defend yourself from an unjust government.

a1fabweld
09-14-2008, 8:30 PM
Hey, how about put wearing your yuppie titelist (sp?) golf hat & pack your AR or whatever your flavor in a golf bag. It's big enough for mags, ammo, & even some more rifles! You could even make a fake top for the bag with a bunch of cut off handles from donor clubs sticking out the top. Or just a plain suitcase like you see at the airport. People probably wouldn't suspect much being that you may actually be transporting extra clothes in a crisis?

GJJ
09-14-2008, 9:01 PM
Time for a class on basic Riot 101. There is a time to show your gun and display strength. Then, there is a time when you don't want to appear armed to make yourself a target to AUTHORITIES.

You have to be smart enough and stealthy enough to keep your weapons from being confiscated. Walking down the middle of his street visibly armed in Mission Viejo just because there is a riot in Santa Ana is not too bright. Best case, the cops take your gun. Worst case, you get shot as one of the bad guys. You want the ability to have fast access to your gun when you need it without drawing attention to yourself.

Get to where you need to be covertly. THEN, once you are there, you can defend your position overtly.

Patriot
09-14-2008, 9:06 PM
You want the ability to have fast access to your gun when you need it without drawing attention to yourself.

Sounds like a handgun to me (though there are legal issues with concealable weapons that would likely still be in force during SHTF).

saki302
09-14-2008, 9:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/eltee49/G36/GuitarCase001.jpg

Anyone notice the mistake?

The SL8/G36 has the AR mag well conversion, but those are G36 mags- won't fit :D

-Dave

snaggletooth
09-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Simple, simple, simple, now pay attention.
Rifle must have a sling for this to work.
Take off all your clothes except for your shoes and sox.
Put rifle over right shoulder hanging by sling.
Put on over coat and tighten belt.
Fill pockets with extra mags and such.

All done. anyone see you walking around like that and trust me, they won't be thinking about some damn gun.
Rio

Best idea yet, lol. Unless its winter and its in Norcal, hahahaha.

GJJ
09-15-2008, 5:08 AM
I have a CCW. So, my Glock 22 can legally be carried. But, as Clint Smith said, the purpose of my handgun is to fight my way to my rifle.

vandal
09-15-2008, 8:11 AM
I guess nobody here saw HEAT? Here's a little something I whipped up:

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw2.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw4.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw5.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw6.jpg

vandal
09-15-2008, 6:41 PM
Part of my inspiration -- another covert rifle carry idea:
Here (http://www.gunwebsites.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1179709352&pid=460)

jc_stecker
09-15-2008, 6:48 PM
That was pretty urban covert there, vandal, but the Shemagh gives it away.

vandal
09-15-2008, 9:28 PM
LOL... substitute a sweatshirt then.

That was pretty urban covert there, vandal, but the Shemagh gives it away.

JeffM
09-15-2008, 9:33 PM
I dont know but If I want it to be covert, I wouldnt be posting pics.

+1 (although not for the same reason)

If the SHTF, you won't see me, recognize me, or know I'm even there.

chsk9
09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
i think you might want to look into some SHTF shoes to go with your rig...

odysseus
09-16-2008, 2:47 AM

:ninja: NINJA!

BP88
09-16-2008, 3:19 AM
I think those are a bit too obvious, you would need to be a little more covert
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/offrdmania/arviolin1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/offrdmania/arviolin2.jpg

That's so baller.

vinny_land
09-16-2008, 1:00 PM
Vandal...are you using a one point sling on your AR???

fusionstar
09-16-2008, 1:19 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't be worrying about concealed carry unless I'm in populated places. In a situation like, lets say the world just turned upside down, air borne virus and only I am immune. I would be packing up and heading deep in the woods for a long camping trip. Cause we all know zombies don't like marshmallows.

vandal
09-16-2008, 4:56 PM
Vandal...are you using a one point sling on your AR???

Vickers two-point sling on the AR.

But you can make just about any sling work, or no sling:

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/akccw1.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/akccw2.jpg

You can twist the gun up and run the sling different ways depending on how quickly you want to be able to deploy it. Muzzle up/muzzle down makes a big difference, as does if you run the sling and/or the bag strap across your body or just over your shoulder.

Same idea, just without the cover garment for the sake of clarity.

(This is adding a CQD Weapons Catch):

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/akccw_cqd1.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/akccw_cqd2.jpg

It helps to be tall, but smaller guns are obviously more comfortable. Here is a singlepoint in use:

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/lgccw_krink.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/lgccw_ithaca.jpg

vinny_land
09-16-2008, 9:35 PM
Vandall- Thanks for the input. Makes me wanna get a messenger bag along with my BOB now!

360PA
09-17-2008, 8:57 AM
I like the guitar case full of guns. Then dress up accordingly and nobody suspects a thing. Now you can look for "Bucho".

AaronHorrocks
09-17-2008, 9:18 AM
If your rifle is small enough to be covertly carried, your rifle is not of large enough caliber to save you during SHTF.

geeknow
09-17-2008, 9:45 AM
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/akccw1.jpg

Vandal, nice rig. did you notice the "orb" in the lower left corner. i think your place may be haunted.

grammaton76
09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
For the record, Guitar Trader happens to have LOTS of damaged guitar cases for $5-$25. The wife and I were looking at buying some for rehab into weapons cases, just for grins.

E. Fudd
09-17-2008, 2:01 PM
I guess nobody here saw HEAT? Here's a little something I whipped up:

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw2.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw4.jpg
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/arccw6.jpg

Vandal for Men, the ultimate in underarm protection...

Yeah, maybe add a nice pastel cashmere sweater over the shoulders...

As to wearing a golfing outfit and dragging around a golfbag, wouldn't that sort of stand out in a riot, unless it was a band of rioting golfers? ;)

But maybe it'd be a tad less conspicuous than dressing up like El Mariachi, lugging a guitar case in the middle of the 'burbs... :D

"I'm yust lookin' for work..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_da6o7CJNMc

Q
09-17-2008, 3:02 PM
Nice Ithaca Vandal, I want one just like it.:cool:

I gotta save this one.:D

Infidel
09-17-2008, 3:27 PM
First of all why would you be walking around when SHTF? If you aren't planning on walking around then just transport your guns legally and don't worry about it. Half the time when I go to the range I don't put my guns in a bag or case. I put on a cable lock and walk right out of my house and put them in my car or truck. I've never had a civilian say a word to me (sometimes I get looks but hey why wouldn't you, if you are carrying around a gun you are definitely something your average person sees every day) and if a cop asks then I show him that everything is legal.

BTW if SHTF I would have at least one concealed pistol on my person anyways so if someone other than a cop had a problem or tried to take the unconcealed rifles/other pistols they would have a VERY, VERY BAD DAY!

dominic
09-17-2008, 4:26 PM
I'm a newbie here, and maybe this is a real dumb question, but what in everyones opinion consitutes a SHTF scenario?

odysseus
09-17-2008, 4:35 PM
BTW if SHTF I would have at least one concealed pistol on my person anyways so if someone other than a cop had a problem or tried to take the unconcealed rifles/other pistols they would have a VERY, VERY BAD DAY!

I hate running through these scenarios, but you are assuming someone in a SHTF scenario would come up to you while you are carrying arms and try to cause trouble, instead of more a reality of ambushing you by surprise from a distance.

dominic
09-17-2008, 4:43 PM
If a SHTF scenario means total anarchy among common citizens and complete breakdown of government then I'm guessing it really would'nt matter if it was concealed or not. But if a SHTF scenario means the government comes to disarm its citizens, then I can see where a concealed firearm would be useful. The latter is much more likely.

fr0ng
09-17-2008, 4:56 PM
I'm a newbie here, and maybe this is a real dumb question, but what in everyones opinion consitutes a SHTF scenario?

economic collapse followed by failure of the govt

sierratangofoxtrotunion
09-17-2008, 4:59 PM

You, sir, are a baller.

Gotta figure out something other than a scarf tho.

vandal
09-17-2008, 5:26 PM
It's okay. I wish I had gone the C&R 870 route.

Nice Ithaca Vandal, I want one just like it.:cool:

elSquid
09-17-2008, 5:58 PM

Well, if there was a global pandemic where 50% of the population woke up one morning and decided to start selling Amway door to door...that would definitely qualify.

Obviously that's not the only possible SHTF scenario, but it's the one that keeps me up some nights.

-- Michael

vinny_land
09-17-2008, 9:44 PM

Sounds like its going that route

Kiff
09-17-2008, 9:50 PM

Current odds?

Infidel
09-18-2008, 7:53 AM
I hate running through these scenarios, but you are assuming someone in a SHTF scenario would come up to you while you are carrying arms and try to cause trouble, instead of more a reality of ambushing you by surprise from a distance.

So they are going to ambush me between my house and car and try to take my unloaded locked rifles away from me or even snatch them and run? Again I would have my Glock (at least!) concealed and would proceed to shoot their asses!

drsteve
09-18-2008, 2:24 PM
How about a golf bag?

It works for the "Mafia" in the movies.

Kiff
11-17-2008, 4:48 PM
Current odds?

Pretty good.

bombadillo
11-17-2008, 4:52 PM
Wouldn't be carrying it, would have 2 pistols though.

smittty
11-17-2008, 7:29 PM
I don't know of better covert SHTF rifle than the SU-16CA but I wish it came in a more powerfull caliber so it could also be used for hunting. I can't really spend that much on a SHTF only rifle.

My next best solution is a coach gun. My stoeger 12 ga takes down to 20" and fits inside a small duffle bag. I had to leave my house a few days ago for the fires and I brought it with me, not because I felt I needed it but I didn't want it getting into the wrong hands if my house was to be looted while I was gone. I showed my friend and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when I pulled it out and assembled it in 3 seconds.

My friend has the SU-16CA. If we stick together during SHTF we have our backs covered.:D

weezil_boi
11-17-2008, 9:20 PM
Hmmm.... lets noodle this through.

If you have some Katrina kinda deal (in the realm of possibility here in Sac), then you have to deal with evacuations... possibly not able to use your own vehicle? So if you are getting bussed to a gov shelter/ emergency medical facility then I would be VERY concerned with a big bag of anything. They will not let you bring in guns, legal or not... in such an emergency, I just think they would say lose it or we'll take it.

So if thats the case, you'd want something very small and discreet. handgun fits the bill of course, but rifle wise... maybe a Kel-tec or something? Something you can fold or takedown to a very small profile. Maybe fit in a medium sized daypack.

If I am in a stadium, school or hospital in such an evacuation/emergency and see some guy that looks fairly well prepared, but had a guitar case slung on his back... I know its a rifle. bat bags, etc same deal.

Me, I'd try to keep it small and very inconspicuous. No green duffel bags and guitar cases :)

JeffM
11-17-2008, 9:25 PM
Hmmm.... lets noodle this through.

If you have some Katrina kinda deal (in the realm of possibility here in Sac), then you have to deal with evacuations... possibly not able to use your own vehicle? So if you are getting bussed to a gov shelter/ emergency medical facility then I would be VERY concerned with a big bag of anything. They will not let you bring in guns, legal or not... in such an emergency, I just think they would say lose it or we'll take it.

So if thats the case, you'd want something very small and discreet. handgun fits the bill of course, but rifle wise... maybe a Kel-tec or something? Something you can fold or takedown to a very small profile. Maybe fit in a medium sized daypack.

If I am in a stadium, school or hospital in such an evacuation/emergency and see some guy that looks fairly well prepared, but had a guitar case slung on his back... I know its a rifle. bat bags, etc same deal.

Me, I'd try to keep it small and very inconspicuous. No green duffel bags and guitar cases :)

AK Pistol FTW!

AKs without a pistol grip or mag are actually quite streamlined.

vandal
11-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Now you have discovered the magic 22".

Very hard to get a long gun now that can be carried in under 22". Kel-tec is actually 24" folded IIRC. Broken down M4 with 14.5" barrel (perm FH): 22". AK Pistol (M92): ~22", SBS: 22". Folding-stocked AK: 26".

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/magic22.jpg

What will fit something 22-24" and not look inconspicuous? Consider the weight too -- unnatural swing, obvious heavy weight inside. Duffel bag, some backpacks maybe. Tennis racket case? Give me a break. A tennis racket case carrying a gun is pretty obvious due to the weight.

But where will you be going? You're not going to the SuperDome I hope! Are you just going out foraging? Checking on a friend across town? Bugging out? How far? Carrying what? With who? Do you hear gunshots or is this a "just in case" thing?

I can tell you that with two small kids I'm driving where I need to go, or I'm bugging in. If driving, concealment becomes less of an issue.

Futurecollector
11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Now you have discovered the magic 22".

Very hard to get a long gun now that can be carried in under 22". Kel-tec is actually 24" folded IIRC. Broken down M4 with 14.5" barrel (perm FH): 22". AK Pistol (M92): ~22", SBS: 22". Folding-stocked AK: 26".

http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/magic22.jpg

DUDE where did you get the SBS???? it is C&R right?

vandal
11-18-2008, 7:09 AM
It is C&R, I made it after ATF returned my tax stamp.

frigginchi
11-18-2008, 7:33 AM
Just like now? :p

Pvt. Cowboy
11-18-2008, 7:49 AM
In the event of a Katrina type or Rodney King type event, it may be necessary to have a way to covertly transport a rifle from your home to various locations (work, relatives house, ect...).

What do you think?

Paratrooper AK will go right into a typical violin case with three mags. :o

Seesm
12-13-2008, 5:37 PM
yeah forget all the guitar case and bags... The best set up is vandels.... I say in a "real" deal who care if your packing... The bad guys will be so so should we be able to... And anyone who try to get my stuff it will be a bad day for them... Because it's my stuff... :)

supermario
12-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Funny, i just walk to my car and load my car trunk up with my guns in cases. I dont make a big deal out of it, and neither do my neighbors, otherwise i would just load up my car at night! Also if you load your gun and have a hunting backpack with it, people just assume a hunting rifle!! This is America and i think people shouldnt have to hide their guns when transporting them unless they worried about people stealing them from their house! I really dont care what people think, plus i lock them in a safe at home if im not home!

iBlake
12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Funny, i just walk to my car and load my car trunk up with my guns in cases. I dont make a big deal out of it, and neither do my neighbors, otherwise i would just load up my car at night! Also if you load your gun and have a hunting backpack with it, people just assume a hunting rifle!! This is America and i think people shouldnt have to hide their guns when transporting them unless they worried about people stealing them from their house! I really dont care what people think, plus i lock them in a safe at home if im not home!

Did you even read any of this thread?

We're not talking about transporting guns now during this semi-normal social climate. We're talking about how to transport guns during a crisis (SHTF) when everybody's head is going to be on a swivel and you don't want everybody to know you're packing heat, especially what authorities may be around.

redcliff
12-14-2008, 5:53 AM
If we consider an economic collapse as the most imminent threat for SHTF, then I offer up FerFal's advice, who lived through the economic collapse in Argentina:

"I think it was Clint Smith who said that the handgun is only to be used to fight his way to his rifle. Man! That sounds “macho”. I’d love to see him walking into Walmart with his tactical M4, taking the subway, visiting the doctor or going to the bank. “Over here Mr. Smith, you can hang you M4 right next to my coat” I don’t think so. Guys, unless you have your own shooting school, you do not get to carry your rifle to work."

torsf
12-14-2008, 7:46 AM
Ever notice the huge messenger bags, tubes, cases that bike messengers & art students carry? They get a free pass - nobody ever blinks an eye on BART when they lug that stuff around.

California bug out bugs should not be covered in molle strips and desert sand colored. They should be timbuk2/REI bags, modified on the inside. I think that if you found the appropriately sized tube, you could shove a loaded garand or shotgun in there, carry an AK/AR pistol or broken down AR in the messenger bag, and conceal a hangun. Slap on some punk & art school stickers, and you are ready to roll. Complete the outfit with a fake nose piercing or tattoo.

Just sayin'

dchang0
12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Guys, unless you have your own shooting school, you do not get to carry your rifle to work."

Not entirely true. Business owners may carry loaded and concealed at their place of work. And there's a lawsuit going on that will prevent businesses from interfering with their employees' right to store locked, unloaded guns in their cars even in the businesses' parking lots.