View Full Version : Need pig hunt advice

09-13-2008, 10:54 PM

I signed up with Calguns some months ago, as I had a possible job offer in Napa. Asked some questions, got some very kind and helpful answers. But, for better or worse, that job never came through. I now find myself in Seattle, missing my Oregon home, but that's a story for another day.

That aside, I'd like to reach out to you guys again for some advice. For years, I've wanted to hunt pigs in California, but hunting private ground was out of my reach and I have heard that public land is not that productive. Well, I have the means now, but I still lack the knowledge.

I'm soliciting advice for where to hunt, guides, etc. I would like to hunt Mendicino, Napa, or Sonoma county; however that preference is subject to change based on chance of success. I am hoping to find what might be termed a 'semi-guided' hunt - i.e. "The pigs are in this area; do A, B, and C and you should get a shot." My preference would also be for setting up my own camp.

Can anybody throw any advice my way? Thanks!

big jon
09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Check out Camp5 outfitters in Paso Robles...

09-14-2008, 5:11 PM
Check out Camp5 outfitters in Paso Robles...

Paso Robles is a lot farther south than the area he wanted to hunt. There are better guides in the Southern Monterey/Norther SLO county area to go with anyway. One of my good hunting buddies is from Mendicino county and claims that the public land up there is pretty crappy. I've read in a couple of magazines that Cow Mountain is a good place to hunt pigs on public land, but my friend very strongly disagrees. The latest issue of California Hunting Digest has a list of registered guides from all over CA. You might want to check it out, especially since it is a free publication: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/digest/.

09-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Have you thought about a guided hunt in Tehama County?

09-15-2008, 9:10 PM
Have you thought about a guided hunt in Tehama County?

I'm certainly not ruling anything out. That's actually starting to get into the parts of California with which I have some familiarity. Being from Josephine County, Oregon, I've spent a fair amount of time along the I-5 corridor from Red Bluff north. Never hunted in California though, unless you count sage rats around Dorris. :)

As I referenced earlier, I interviewed in Napa and thought it was a great place. I was fortunate enough to have the luxury of time going down there, so I drove CA-1. I really fell in love with the country from Ft Bragg south to Napa.

Too bad the State of Jefferson never came to fruition.

09-17-2008, 6:03 PM
Dan, here some info on hog hunting in CA.

09-17-2008, 7:52 PM
Ft. Hunter Liggett is cheap and productive. I've never failed to bag a pig there yet.

09-27-2008, 6:33 PM

I am still doing research. FHL looks promising. The link to Jesse's was also quite helpful.

Gunaria, did you have something specific in mind when you suggested Tehema Co.?

09-27-2008, 7:08 PM
You might want to check these guys out,

09-27-2008, 7:34 PM
I live in Mendocino County and have wanted to find a good place to hunt hog also. I have been looking and trying for 8 years since I moved here. All the public land is real crappy. Cow Mountain has hogs but you need dogs to run them out of the under brush. It is so thick, a person can not get hunt it without dogs. Lake Sonoma is better ut you have to bow hunt untill Feburary then you have a few weeks to slug hunt.

10-05-2008, 8:04 PM