PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on AK Variant

CJN8
09-13-2008, 11:09 PM
First of all I have to say I absolutely love this website. My wife thinks I may be cheating on her with an internet chick, I told her not to worry its just calguns.net…

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger, no pun intended, on an AK type rifle. I am looking for a high quality build; I am considering the Henderson Defense (HD) Afghan AK-103R. These variants are quite spendy coming in at higher price than most WASRs or similar type rifles. HD’s website says this particular rifle is built on an unissued Romanian kit (another site said Bulgarian kit?), DC receiver, etc.. What are your opinions about this set up?

Thanks
Nate

ghost
09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
if youre looking for a high end build check out arsenal ak`s or the firing line made ak`s.cant go wrong with the bulgarian or polish variants with milled receivers.

69Mach1
09-13-2008, 11:27 PM
AK's are addictive. You'll end up getting them all.
Like ghost says, start with the milled AK's if you're looking for high end rifles.
And welcome to the forum.

CJN8
09-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys!!

I got the bug at the last gun show I went to at Del Mar. I had not been to a show in a while and did not know about building on OLL. Ever since then I have been burning up google trying to learn all I can.

69Mach1
09-13-2008, 11:42 PM
It's not a bug, it's a disease. :)
Good luck on your hunt. Remember the out of State, CA friendly dealers who can transfer your toy for you.

jumbopanda
09-14-2008, 2:35 AM
She'll wish you were just cheating when you start getting addicted to this place. :p

Vic
09-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Could someone explain what makes the ak103 Afghan on HDI worth $250 more than the ak101 they also sell?

SJgunguy24
09-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Looks like their Afgan 103 is built up with a virgin kit. Quite a bit more work from what I understand.

I wouldn't get any of those,I would buy one of the FEDUPWBS builds. I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about his work.

CJN8
09-14-2008, 1:32 PM
I will do a search on FEDUPWBS to see what I can see, thanks for the reply. I was also looking at some of arsenals rifles. Does anyone know what a typical turnaround time is?

JeffM
09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Looks like their Afgan 103 is built up with a virgin kit. Quite a bit more work from what I understand.

I wouldn't get any of those,I would buy one of the FEDUPWBS builds. I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about his work.

FYI, the remaining complete rifles he has for sale he built for his own personal collection, and they are top notch, but he is trying to scrape together cash for his business and other ventures. Obviously he can swap out furniture or paint the rifles a different color, but for the price he's asking I don't think you'll find better.

Disclaimer: I am a friend of his (using the term loosely :D), but what I said above stands on it's own merit if you get to see them.