PDA

View Full Version : emergency help.

Exposed
09-13-2008, 9:39 PM
going shooting tomorrow and I was just doing some last minute checking up on my AR15. Anyway, the damn bolt is stuck and locked im pulling the charging handle but that thing isnt coming loose. Whats up with it?

aplinker
09-13-2008, 9:44 PM
I'll assume you're activating the CH properly.

If the bolt is closed, pull the pins and look inside. Lots it could hang on.

Riodog
09-13-2008, 9:46 PM
Did you try the bolt release? If that doesn't do it then try pushing down the follower in the mag while releasing the charging handle. Watch out for you pinky.
Rio

NiteQwill
09-13-2008, 9:51 PM
bolt release does wonders... ;)

Exposed
09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I figured out what it was and Im not even going to tell you what it was because I feel like a douche bag novice. :o:banghead:

frigginchi
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
You should tell so other douche bag novices don't panic when the same situation arises :)

I figured out what it was and Im not even going to tell you what it was because I feel like a douche bag novice. :o:banghead:

sorensen440
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Lol then I suggest we start guessing

Im going to guess that you were mistaking your airsoft for your oll:D

aplinker
09-13-2008, 10:19 PM
sounds like the bolt was back and an empty mag was in...

Santa Cruz Armory
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM

LOL!! :kest:

It happens...

technique
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM

+1 thats what I thought, maybe OP had a beer or two;)

sorensen440
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM

I would like to say it has never happend to me but when I was an AR newb I and had just assembled everything I thought I had done it wrong

Exposed
09-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Naw, a few weeks ago I was having problems with my bolt jamming after only a few rounds. I believe I posted the issue, anyway, I went ahead and cleaned it and added teflon lube, just a bit. After I checked it all out i wanted to see how it would chamber a round, I have no .223 snap caps so my dumbass thinking "I know what Im doing" chambered live rounds, just 5 to see how it would work. I chambered them and ejected them no problem. So just now, I went to check out my OLL and see how the bolt was doing. I didnt chamber any rounds. I just pulled on the charging handle and let the bolt drop. It got stuck. I pulled and pulled and nothing. I opened up the upper and saw nothing wrong but it was stuck. Thats when I tripped out and posted this thread. After that, I gave it one more strong pull and the whole charging handle and bolt came flying out along with a live round :kest: I had forgot 1 round in the chamber weeks ago when I was checking out how my oll was functioning and that is what caused the bolt to get stuck. Thank God I didnt pull the trigger thinking I was dry firing it. I would have a huge problem. There is a lesson to be learned here I think.

sorensen440
09-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Naw, a few weeks ago I was having problems with my bolt jamming after only a few rounds. I believe I posted the issue, anyway, I went ahead and cleaned it and added teflon lube, just a bit. After I checked it all out i wanted to see how it would chamber a round, I have no .223 snap caps so my dumbass thinking "I know what Im doing" chambered live rounds, just 5 to see how it would work. I chambered them and ejected them no problem. So just now, I went to check out my OLL and see how the bolt was doing. I didnt chamber any rounds. I just pulled on the charging handle and let the bolt drop. It got stuck. I pulled and pulled and nothing. I opened up the upper and saw nothing wrong but it was stuck. Thats when I tripped out and posted this thread. After that, I gave it one more strong pull and the whole charging handle and bolt came flying out along with a live round :kest: I had forgot 1 round in the chamber weeks ago when I was checking out how my oll was functioning and that is what caused the bolt to get stuck. Thank God I didnt pull the trigger thinking I was dry firing it. I would have a huge problem. There is a lesson to be learned here I think.

another good reminder why a gun should always be treated as loaded

frigginchi
09-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Just for that you should donate to charity as punishment.

aplinker
09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
:eek:

Glad you're ok.

nothing4u
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM

I vote life time NRA membership.

Exposed
09-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I am an NRA member already. Lifetime, not yet though. Anyway, like I said, there is a lesson to be learned in this at least for me there is.

technique
09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
OH-MY-GAWD!

sorensen440
09-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Just so everyone is on the same page my nickname is now charity

DedEye
09-13-2008, 11:20 PM
How about to the Calguns Foundation :)?

gcvt
09-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Glad you're still with us ;)

SJgunguy24
09-14-2008, 12:15 AM
AAAAA NO BUENO!

shellyzsweet
09-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Just so everyone is on the same page my nickname is now charity

good that means you will get lots of money cause I here that people give money to charity all the time....and if I recall, you haven't bought me flowers in a long time....so as punishment for that, I'm gonna need a brand new XD 45 full size with night sights!

-serously, tho....glad your OK!

ironcross
09-14-2008, 12:28 AM
OH-MY-GAWD!

What he said :D

The Cable Guy
09-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Wow, someone wasn't following procedure! Always check to make sure the weapon is empty when doing function checks.

Glad you didn't blow anything up accidentally, that would be bad. And even better that you're okay :) Be careful!

domokun
09-14-2008, 3:00 AM

:eek: Please for the children and your own safety in the future, buy some function check dummies from Brownells or load your own rounds without primer and powder filled with silicone caulking and use those for function checks. Function checking with live ammo is just a ND waiting to happen. :iggy:

gcvt
09-14-2008, 4:02 AM
Agreed. You wouldn't want to pull an "Iggy"...or worse.

Turbinator
09-14-2008, 7:30 AM
It stands repeating - GET SOME SNAP CAPS!!! NOW!!

Turby

onenevertoconform
09-14-2008, 8:52 AM
Well I just completed my 1st AR yesterday. I have not even fired it yet(stupid2 hour wait at Jackson arms).So your boo boo is going down in my book of WHAT NOT TO DO.
Thanks and glad you did not hurt yourself or any one else

glockster
09-14-2008, 9:05 AM
That's scary. :eek: I'm glad to hear that it didn't discharge.

I'm also glad to hear that you were man enough to step up and admit what you did. I know lots of people wouldn't do that. It's a good reminder and lesson learned for everyone.

rod
09-14-2008, 1:19 PM

Punishment for what? He didn't have a negligent discharge, no one got hurt, he obviously followed some of the safety rules, and he now has an extra round of ammo. He had a problem with his rifle and asked for help. So what if it turned out to be something silly. At least he figured it out and no one got hurt. Well done I say.

ETA: OK, I take that back. I just re read the OP and I realize some mistakes were made. NEVER use live rounds to function check a firearm in your house. That's asking for trouble. Glad you learned you lesson the easy way.

sv_1
09-14-2008, 8:17 PM
Wow. Close call. That's why i keep my ammo locked up while cleaning and working on firearms- they are not tolerant of those "blond" moments:)

One Shot, One Dropped
09-14-2008, 9:54 PM
Is Children's Services reading this? :seeya:

VAHEVAHE
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I am an NRA member already. Lifetime, not yet though. Anyway, like I said, there is a lesson to be learned in this at least for me there is.

I wouldn't put that as my sig line.